The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign assistant coaches, Ian Clark to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

i don't get the upset here

when better talent is acquired the assistant coaches appear to be more competent

can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear

yet people cannot get over the lack of talent on the back line

and wish to pin that on baum's structure?  makes little sense to me

there are few complaints about the d this year, yet it is playing way way better

the pp is also rounding into form

same problem last season

transitioning from sedins to new players

now with young talent in place

i think in time they will all be more consistent

isn't the talent issue the obvious difference

look at the tail end of last season and this season so far

o/t 3 -3

we have one unit that is superstar

and it comprises all of our youngest players

how many think those performances are more coached

or more talent?
fire green i say because our other 3 on 3 units simply are not as well coached?

cuz coaching is always the problem?

talent trumps everything

including coaching

we now have talent

the coaching does not handicap it

despite someone saying green is crippling ep40

that is nonsense

and let's also look at one other factor

green and baum are a tandem

for many seasons now

that has some value as well

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

:wacko:

How do you get any better than I. Clark?

Our goaltending is tops in the league...

You don't. Clark is amazing. Extend him for 20+ years

My beef is with Brown and Baumer. I've been frustrated with those two for years and feel like the Canucks could do better.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, luckylager said:

All great points.

Do they struggle on the PP? 

Would our PK be successful without Suttyballs and Beags?

Let's not forget how painful our breakouts were prior to landing Myers and having Hughes on the roster. That structure was / is awful and gets routed if the dman exiting our zone isn't a strong skater. One option for an outlet pass sucks 

But whatever, we're winning right now, so sign them for 10yrs because of early season success.

Was the structure awful or did they just not have players good enough to execute the systems?  Name a team with good stats that doesn't have good players executing the coaches systems?  They go hand in hand, they're not mutually exclusive

Isnt the pp top 10 (11) in the league right now?

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Was the structure awful or did they just not have players good enough to execute the systems?  Name a team with good stats that doesn't have good players executing the coaches systems?  They go hand in hand, they're not mutually exclusive

Our PP is trash against good teams. Check the record.

I gave up on Brown when Thomas Vanek had to draw up the PP for him to get it working. 

I may be holding onto some resentment towards Baumer, but I feel like he doesn't give our D enough support to clear the zone easily. Seems like it's one outlet option or skate it out. Not really ideal IMO.

Also, it's up to the coach to implement a system that works with the players he has. Baumer hasn't done that until last month.

Edited by luckylager
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I gave up on Brown when Thomas Vanek had to draw up the PP for him to get it working. 

I may be holding onto some resentment towards Baumer, but I feel like he doesn't give our D enough support to clear the zone easily. Seems like it's one outlet option or skate it out. Not really ideal IMO.

Like I just posted, the only coach that is not replaceable is Clarke.  The rest are spare parts.  

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Also, it's up to the coach to implement a system that works with the players he has. Baumer hasn't done that until last month.

Good teams have good pk's.  Other teams pp's are trash against the Canucks.  The facts are that the best pp's fail 2 out of 3 times.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

Good teams have good pk's.  Other teams pp's are trash against the Canucks.  The facts are that the best pp's fail 2 out of 3 times.

Truth.

Let's bury it. I don't like Brown and Baumer, you do. I would have waited until the post season to re-up on them.

No biggie.

I'll like those two a lot more if we have a winning season and play at least 6 post season games

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Truth.

Let's bury it. I don't like Brown and Baumer, you do. I would have waited until the post season to re-up on them.

No biggie.

I'll like those two a lot more if we have a winning season and play at least 6 post season games

I actually am not a big fan of Browm, and I'm ambivilent on Baumer.  I just don't like this trend that when things go wrong it's always the coach and not the players.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I actually am not a big fan of Browm, and I'm ambivilent on Baumer.  I just don't like this trend that when things go wrong it's always the coach and not the players.

I get that. 

It's pretty obvious the entire roster has bought in this year.

Even Eriksson has been showing a level of hustle he hadn't bothered to give the team until spending a long stretch in the press box.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Brash, I think the PCS might be talking for you here.

You're missing the point of a public forum, ie. It's sole purpose isn't a fluff job for management.

I've read the painfully tired commentary before- "they're pros, you're not, so deal with it blah blah, if only I could give Trav a back rub"

Can you point to one thing about Baumer's coaching which is truly impressive, or above average? Same for Newell.

I guess the Canucks were ok to settle on those two for another "term", hopefully one year, because I just don't see them as the guys that coach is to the next level. 

I'd also love to be proven wrong.

I'd say most people posting on this forum don't even know exactly what it is they do. At least not the depth that we imagine we know the job of a head coach or GM

30 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd say most people posting on this forum don't even know exactly what it is they do. At least not the depth that we imagine we know the job of a head coach or GM

Good point. Aside from establishing D structure, deployment and "system", I have no idea what Baumer does.

I also don't know what Newell does outside of the PP.

1 minute ago, luckylager said:

Good point. Aside from establishing D structure, deployment and "system", I have no idea what Baumer does.

I also don't know what Newell does outside of the PP.

I don’t know about Baumer, but Newell is Green’s food taster. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, stawns said:

For the record, after 15 games:

6th in overall points 
5th in winning percentage
6th in goals for
4th in goals against
PP is 11th
PK is 3rd
7th in shots per game 
3rd in goal differential
Demko is 2nd in the League among goalies with 5+ games.
Marky is 20th (bad game vs Washington skews)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Plus doesn't every other team do the drop pass at some point on the PP?  

Not all teams employs a drop pass zone entry strategy on PP.  I feel that it is a waste of time if this strategy fails and turnover and waste even more time and doesn't have much time left to set up.  Win the board battles and set up is better due to effective stop on the drop pass zone entry nowadays.   You see much lower percent for PP conversion on most teams is because of time wasting for a zone entry than 10-15 years ago.   The bad team with bad PP was able to score at 15% 10-15 years ago and now, you see them getting 9% which is not good.  This is a cause of a drop pass zone entry which wastes about 5 to 10 seconds waiting for forwards to come to the own end zone then 5 seconds just to drop pass, 15-20 seconds wasted.   It worked the first time Canucks did that because it was new strategy and PK teams was not able to figure it out how to stop them.