The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Has Don's Cherry Just Popped?

Rate this topic

beartooth

Not sure if this belongs here but I personally think Donny has been around a bit too long and he thinks that he, and he alone is Hockey Night in Canada. His "poppy" comments were a bit over the top. I feel the love coming. Lets hear some comments. :bigblush:    Basically what I'm asking is, is it time for him to hang up his skates?

Edited by beartooth
  • Thanks 1
  • Wat 3
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think it's overblown myself, but I can see why some people (the sensitives) would be upset. I also don't see many people wearing poppies these days.

That’s the issue isn’t it?  You’re stating lots of people aren’t wearing poppies, which is a fair statement.  Do said it’s new people to the country who aren’t wearing poppies.  I don’t believe his comments are racist though.  Lots of new people might not know what the poppy represents?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’ve thought Brian Burke should take over for Don for a few years now.  For the poppy comments, I don’t know what it’s like in his neighbourhood.  Maybe lots of new people their don’t wear poppies, and his comments (although ignorant) are valid?  

I agree with Brian Burke taking over from Don... Brian has his own one on one to express his opinion on certain hockey topics...

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’ve thought Brian Burke should take over for Don for a few years now.  For the poppy comments, I don’t know what it’s like in his neighbourhood.  Maybe lots of new people their don’t wear poppies, and his comments (although ignorant) are valid?  

Brian Burke's To The Point is far superior to anything Cherry has ever put out imo. I've watched a few of them and love the insight he brings!

• Upvote 1

Seems like immigrants have reached protected status and have become free from criticism. Can't mention them without a bunch of old-stock whiteys jumping to defend their honour and moral superiority. That paternalistic line of thinking seems a bit racist in itself. I don't think we need to "cancel" the guy over it. Nature is likely to do that itself very soon. Immigrants don't wear poppies? Seems like a reasonable hypothesis. We operate along the lines that every culture is equal and welcomed and that immigrants should cling to their previous values and way of life. Of course they aren't going to be concerned with Canadian history and culture if they aren't incentivized to learn it. It wouldn't surprise me if many of them don't know why the hell folks are wearing flowers on their lapels. 

But yeah, seems like the poppy has become yet another way for people to virtue signal. If you really care about the troops, perhaps consider the value of that donation you're putting in the box. Maybe think on writing your MP and asking why veterans aren't being giving the support and care they were promised and have earned. 

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 3