The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

mob? its not a mob because a majority of people either don't like or aren't comfortable with this kind of thing anymore. 

I would not say it's the majority, but they're loud and have time on their hands.

Maybe we can agree there?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It’s so sad that that Cherry was so selfish in his comments he took away from the many that fought and died in wars and instead made it all about him .. in true Cherry fashion 

he also is so clueless he seems to have no clue how many “immigrants” fought for Canada and our allies 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Tystick said:

So he didn't cave into the outrage mob so therefore, it must be the most sinister scenario?

Stop moving the goal posts. You said Cherry was misinterpreted and Jimmy pointed out why he was not. You then say he should not have caved. If he actually meant all Canadians rather than immigrants, then caving should not have been a problem. The fact he did not apologize or even offer a clarification just supports the position that he was being intentionally anti-immigrant. 

Cherry screwed up. Whether he did it knowingly or by accident is irrelevant. He deserved to be fired either way.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Tystick said:

I would not say it's the majority, but they're loud and have time on their hands.

well sure but in this case it was pretty wide spread. Even other HNIC members were unhappy with this. 

Like i said above Cherry could have made this better but chose not to. So this is the hill he wanted to die on for some reason. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Could “time on their hands” be the “milk and honey” Cherry is referring to?  We are pretty darned comfortable in our lives.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well sure but in this case it was pretty wide spread. Even other HNIC members were unhappy with this. 

Like i said above Cherry could have made this better but chose not to. So this is the hill he wanted to die on for some reason. 

Could the reason be Don believes he said nothing that is racist?  Why would he apologize if he believes he said nothing to apologize for?  

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

Stop moving the goal posts. You said Cherry was misinterpreted and Jimmy pointed out why he was not. You then say he should not have caved. If he actually meant all Canadians rather than immigrants, then caving should not have been a problem. The fact he did not apologize or even offer a clarification just supports the position that he was being intentionally anti-immigrant. 

Cherry screwed up. Whether he did it knowingly or by accident is irrelevant. He deserved to be fired either way.

To my knowledge, Cherry has never caved on any controversial opinion.

Why would he this time? It's just how he is.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Is it what it is I guess.

Still don't think he should have been fired over it. Just my opinion though.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Tystick said:

"Boomer" -- so overused and boring. For the record, I'm a millennial.

Immigrants are not Canadian until the apply for citizenship.

Neither immigrants or citizens, in their entirety, buy poppies or don't buy poppies.

What more do I want? Actual actions he's taken, like I requested the first time.

Prove he's racist.

Hi there, thank you for your message. The comments made Saturday on Coach’s Corner were clearly inappropriate and divisive, and in no way reflect Budweiser’s views. As a sponsor of the broadcast, we immediately expressed our concerns and respect the decision which was made by Sportsnet today.

hmmm I guess Budweiser doesn’t agree with you either 

maybe call your buddy Trump, he may agree with you

proof? You are seriously delusional my friend 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could the reason be Don believes he said nothing that is racist?  Why would he apologize if he believes he said nothing to apologize for?  

could be. He's certainly been bigoted over the years. He said so himself. 

He clearly doesn't think he has anything to apologize for. Or maybe he's just too stubborn/proud to do it. Either way its a sad way to end his run, not just for him but for a lot of people. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

IMO, it's bad move by Rogers.  On a Remembrance Day where he stood up for the veterans' behalf.  I feel that Rogers is too defensive with the political correctness and I truly hated political correctness era.  Anything that offends them where in 50's had a thick skin that could take anything that people tells them that was offensive.  You will see many people nowadays will not speak up for the fear of losing his employments.  If Rogers doesn't like Cherry, they could simply not renew the contract.   I think that Cherry wins here from now on.  Rogers' rating will only go downhill from now.  He could easily find other endeavors and will not miss any beat for as long as he desires to do it so and as long as fans will come and hear his opinions on anything related to hockey.  Even Cherry recognize the game of hockey is changing and still do it right in most case.  I am not even a fan of Cherry but I defend his right to express his opinions even if we do not agree with him.  

Actually it was the right time to do this because it shows Canadians on this day of remembrance the reason our veterans fought for this country. Freedom, and that means all freedoms, including the right to remember any way people wish, and that NO ONE can tell us from any origin, from any race how and what we wish to do, to celebrate our fallen Vets. Unfortunately, in this case that also means the right to your point of view, regardless of how it may offend others, except  when your working for someone and being paid to do so when your point of view goes outside the discription of your job, which it has way too many times in the case of Cherry, the employer has every right to dismiss him. I have to agree with this also because I am an employer and if one of my employee's went off on a customer for not wearing a poppy and being cheap, regardless if they were white or brown or whatever, they would be fired on the spot

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Could “time on their hands” be the “milk and honey” Cherry is referring to?  We are pretty darned comfortable in our lives.  

Yeah I mean we're all very damn comfortable.

Canada is a great country and I think everyone should participate in Remembrance Day.

That includes immigrants.

But, we're also free to not do so.

Cherry should not have been fired, our society is trending in the wrong direction if opinions are going to ruin careers.