The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Don Cherry Fired

Rate this topic

b3.

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

If we were going for equality, Cherry would have said that more Canadians should be buying poppies. Instead he only went after immigrants. That's the problem. Particularly when he had no evidence to substantiate his position.

True, he could have worded it differently.

Has Cherry ever been PC though? No.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

But if he singled out the typical honky he wouldn't have received the same treatment. It's the usual race based double standard. 

Actually he did get ridiculed for 'chicken Swede' comments in the past.  And Swedes are whiter than Michael Jackson.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

as for that Coward MacLean that day there and nodded and gave the thumbs up and then put it all on Cherry...yes he should he accountable for his complicity 

Disagree. MacLean owned his complicity and apologized. He dealt with it like Cherry should have. Further, I wouldn't be surprised if MacLean didn't even realize what Cherry had said. I can imagine its difficult to sit next to Cherry and never zone out and pretend like you were listening to the blowhard. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Buddy you better stop talking because your true colours are coming out 

special group of people? Wtf is that? He demonstrated a bias by singling out immigrants with zero factual basis 

as for that Coward MacLean that sat there and nodded and gave the thumbs up and then put it all on Cherry...yes he should he accountable for his complicity 

Why do you want me to stop talking? I have the freedom to express my opinion. Thanks.

What are my true colors?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

True, he could have worded it differently.

Has Cherry ever been PC though? No.

Which is fine, but what he said was clearly inappropriate and hurts Sportsnet's brand. So its natural that he would be fired. Cherry is not entitled to a platform. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Buddy you better stop talking because your true colours are coming out 

special group of people? Wtf is that? He demonstrated a bias by singling out immigrants with zero factual basis 

as for that Coward MacLean that day there and nodded and gave the thumbs up and then put it all on Cherry...yes he should he accountable for his complicity 

What is wrong with saying people aren’t all the same?  So someone who disagrees with your SJW point of view is a racist?  Why the “hey buddy” and the threat?  It’s Canada and we are not the US melting pot.  Here we recognize and celebrate our differences as what makes us stronger.  

1 minute ago, Fateless said:

Which is fine, but what he said was clearly inappropriate and hurts Sportsnet's brand. So its natural that he would be fired. Cherry is not entitled to a platform. 

Yeah it was Sportnet's decision to fire him for sure.

My view is it was done to prevent bad press, whether they agreed with Cherry or not.

Also in my view, Cherry's presentation of his opinion was no different than any other opinion he's given about hockey.

Just taken the wrong way IMO.

3 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

I think a few people here think freedom of expression only works one way and seem to forget that Rogers just exerted their right to freedom of " Your not working for me anymore because we don't like your views which offends many of our customers who's money we take and pay you with" Seems pretty simple too me

yup, they just don't like it when others have rights too. I don't have a lot of sympathy if you have a bigoted view - then choose not to correct it given the chance. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I was born in this country and wear my Canadian colours proudly. I choose to wear a poppy to show my appreciation and remembrance but I don’t expect others to do the same and I also don’t jump to conclusions about people that don’t wear poppies and I certainly don’t speculate about segments of our population  

you are not in another person’s shoes, maybe they lost theirs? maybe they have it on another jacket? Maybe they do have appreciation and remembrance but don’t feel they need to show it wearing a poppy? And maybe they just plain choose not to? 

that very freedom to do so is what the soldiers fought for so in a way all of the about are remembering and appreciative 

Don took a racist bias and spun it in his comments without basis and that is the true definition of racism 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This makes sense. Rogers moved on from so many people this year. They needed an excuse to fire Don. They found a good one. From the immigrants I know and my personal views, this was not insulting at all. Heck even I didn’t buy a poppy this year, but thanks to don he made me feel bad and I will be making a donation. 

Edited by #Canucks

11 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Disagree. MacLean owned his complicity and apologized. He dealt with it like Cherry should have. Further, I wouldn't be surprised if MacLean didn't even realize what Cherry had said. I can imagine its difficult to sit next to Cherry and never zone out and pretend like you were listening to the blowhard. 

I get that BUT he put it on Cherry’s comments and for his own inaction related to the comments 

what he did not apologize for was nodding his head in agreement and the thumbs up at the end of the racist rant  

Edited by canuck2288
  • Upvote 1

Had to duck out for the last few hours to run some errands. Figured I'd conduct a little experiment. Went to Wal Mart, Whole Foods and the liquor store (because this damn team is driving me to drink, ok drink more).

In the stores I see immigrants who look like they've been here awhile, immigrants who I assumed were kinda new here, natives, and what some would call "old stock Canadians". Across the board maybe a maximum of 15% were wearing poppies in each sub group. So how do we justify calling out one sub group in particular?

What if Cherry had specifically called out gay people for not wearing poppies? How would that be different than what he did?

On another note, was listening to the radio. They were talking about this topic and they interviewed a columnist from Toronto (can't recall the name). He said he spoke to Cherry earlier and was about to write a major piece on the firing. Says Cherry says he was taken out of context and also that Cherry is very hurt by Maclean chucking him under the bus to save his own skin.

So if Cherry was taken out of context and people were offended by what they thought he said isn't it incumbent upon him to explain. Not necessarily apologize, but explain. If you don't do at least that you're a jerk. Cherry is refusing to even explain himself. Which is odd seeing as how it wasn't just people offended but it cost him his job. 

Stubborn old mule that Don Cherry.