The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] How is Eriksson Not Waived?

Rate this topic

Provost

27 minutes ago, mll said:

Eriksson is represented by JP Barry of CAA.  They are one if not the most powerful agency - Puckpedia has them with the highest overall value of contracts.  Benning might simply not want to get in a dispute with them - not worth it for a 13th F.   Agents also influence their clients in free agency.

Didn't hear the segment but some have posted that Dhaliwal says it's Benning that wants to keep Eriksson while Green would prefer him in Utica.  

Which supports the opinion that JB/Aquilini have a gentleman's agreement with LE to keep him on the big club for this season, and then LE will retire after his July 2020 bonus.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Because he will not want to play in Utica.  He's made 50 million!  He can retire, like Luongo did, and still live like a King.  What's the name of the Buffalo guy, who last season left and went home to Sweden leaving 10 million?  

I think mental health was a major factor there. Eriksson’s not give a $&!# seems to make him immune.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Which supports the opinion that JB/Aquilini have a gentleman's agreement with LE to keep him on the big club for this season, and then LE will retire after his July 2020 bonus.  

Yeah but is there any actual proof of that? It seems like supposition and wishful thinking right now.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Provost said:

I fully expected to see Eriksson on waivers today and sent to the farm.

I am not sure honestly what any argument against it could be at this point.

He isn’t penalty killing, he isn’t good defensively, he isn’t doing “the little things” right, he isn’t putting in the effort, he isn’t an option to fill in the top six during injuries, he no longer has the trust of his coach (look at his minutes when he is in the lineup).

When you are outplayed by a fringe guy like Graovac... you are done.

Maybe he retires rather than reporting to Utica, maybe not... but it should be tried.  It is startling how different the success of the entire team hinges on all four lines pushing the pace.  When we have lost that from our 4th line, suddenly the top two lines start faltering as well... maybe because they are focussed on more.

Sorry for a bit of a rant, but to me it is really inconceivable that the team hasn’t played hardball yet with this player.

Does anyone have an argument FOR Eriksson remaining now?  Mentoring Petterson doesn’t fly for me to keep a valuable roster spot... especially with the impending return of Roussel 

I agree that he shouldn't be playing.

I don't necessarily agree that Utica is the best place for him. He ties up a roster spot down there, and we can work around our cap issues with him up here.

If you send him to Utica, the argument is, that you're playing him, at times in place of a young player that you want getting good, valuable ice time.

Sitting in the Vancouver press box, he's not really hurting us, one way or another, outside of salary.

Best solution to him I've heard yet, is to make a deal with Los Angeles for a trade of bad contracts. Eriksson for Kovalchuk. If we could do something like that, although I think Kovalchuk would take over Loui's place in the penalty box, he has one less year left on his contract.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I was watching an AHL game on the Internet, and saw Moulson out there.  He's a star in that league, or appeared to be.  I just wonder if LE would ride busses and suffer the embarrassment back home for completing his career as an AHL player?  I think it's different for Swedes.  We had an old Matts Sundin, who chose to retire (giving up 10 million) just because he wasn't playing to the level he expected of himself.  It was like he didn't want to damage his legacy back home for the sake of money.  LE would only be giving up 3/4 million, and having to play in the AHL, while damaging his legacy.  He already last summer was question by the Swedish press about his lack of production, and he defended his honor (legacy) by saying it was how he was being deployed by the coach.  I see him making that gentleman's agreement with Aquilini to protect his legacy as an NHL player, and then retire after his July 2020 bonus.  Then both sides win.  LE gets almost all of his 36 million, and keeps his honor in tact back home, and we clear 6 million in cap for the 2020/2021 season.  Makes total sense, and IMO that is what will happen.  

Should have happened this July heh.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah but is there any actual proof of that? It seems like supposition and wishful thinking right now.

Can't have proof, or that would be against the CBA.  It's like there is no proof about FLA encouraging Luongo to retire and give up 3 million owed, but privately promising him a pseudo management job later.  Any proof of that type of gentleman's agreement would be cap circumvention, and the league would punish the team, right?

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Should have happened this July heh.

I really thought it was going to happen, but (maybe?) that's when JB had those summer discussions with LE that's when the gentleman's agreement was made between JB/Aquilini and LE for this coming season and retirement after the July 2020 bonus.

So, correct me if I'm wrong but, if we buy him out at the end of the season (after bonus), we deal with Cap recapture across the duration of his contract, plus the buyout spread across a couple of years after.

If he retires next summer, we just deal with Cap recapture for the duration of the contract, 2 years.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think all Canuck's fans and our management would be happy too.  I think LE would be happy too.  He doesn't need to worry about the embarrassment of being demoted to the minors.

Agree completely. I think its much more of a motivator than a lot of people on this board think it is.

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I agree that he shouldn't be playing.

I don't necessarily agree that Utica is the best place for him. He ties up a roster spot down there, and we can work around our cap issues with him up here.

If you send him to Utica, the argument is, that you're playing him, at times in place of a young player that you want getting good, valuable ice time.

You don’t have to play him down there.  Just make him practice and ride the busses until he quits.

As for what damage he is doing sitting in the press box up here...

I would argue he is doing damage by being here.

1.  It puts a lie to the “if you earn a spot we will make room for you”.  He hasn’t earned his spot and other players have.

2.  Motivation for our young guys in Utica.  All those guys care about is a shot to be in the Bigs, waiting for a call up.  There are a handful of guys that should have that short term call up as a carrot for performance... Goldobin, Boucher, Lind, MacEwan, Gaudette, Graovac, Baertschi, Perron, Jasek, Bailey, etc.  Even if it is just a few days to practice with the big club and get a taste.  Eriksson is a block to that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I was watching an AHL game on the Internet, and saw Moulson out there.  He's a star in that league, or appeared to be.  I just wonder if LE would ride busses and suffer the embarrassment back home for completing his career as an AHL player?  I think it's different for Swedes.  We had an old Matts Sundin, who chose to retire (giving up 10 million) just because he wasn't playing to the level he expected of himself.  It was like he didn't want to damage his legacy back home for the sake of money.  LE would only be giving up 3/4 million, and having to play in the AHL, while damaging his legacy.  He already last summer was question by the Swedish press about his lack of production, and he defended his honor (legacy) by saying it was how he was being deployed by the coach.  I see him making that gentleman's agreement with Aquilini to protect his legacy as an NHL player, and then retire after his July 2020 bonus.  Then both sides win.  LE gets almost all of his 36 million, and keeps his honor in tact back home, and we clear 6 million in cap for the 2020/2021 season.  Makes total sense, and IMO that is what will happen.  

Not happening.  No way he pulls a Berglund and gives up millions of dollars.  Berglund had serious personal problems that were compounded by being butt-hurt that his old NHL club traded him away the way that they did.

Loui.PNG.1cc29ec3677221a967340158393af37a.PNG

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tas said:

not wanting him in utica would be one reason, but if you can find a team to loan him to, I'm game. 

I'd bet he wouldn't go to Utica anyways, he'll opt out of his deal to sign somewhere else or retire and play in Sweden

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Playing hard ball with him is just not good for the chemistry of the team. He is still liked by his teammates. He's not a cancer in the locker room.

He''s waisted space in our locker room, isn't that good enough?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

You don’t have to play him down there.  Just make him practice and ride the busses until he quits.

As for what damage he is doing sitting in the press box up here...

I would argue he is doing damage by being here.

1.  It puts a lie to the “if you earn a spot we will make room for you”.  He hasn’t earned his spot and other players have.

2.  Motivation for our young guys in Utica.  All those guys care about is a shot to be in the Bigs, waiting for a call up.  There are a handful of guys that should have that short term call up as a carrot for performance... Goldobin, Boucher, Lind, MacEwan, Gaudette, Graovac, Baertschi, Perron, Jasek, Bailey, etc.  Even if it is just a few days to practice with the big club and get a taste.  Eriksson is a block to that.

I'd say that there's an argument for both ways, and its hard to know for sure what's the right call.

If Alf is right and there's a handshake agreement that he will retire after next bonus is paid, I'm okay with that as a resolution, as long as he's only playing in replacement of injuries, and not ahead of people like Gaudette. 

Right now, with the injury level that we have, having him sit in the press box and be available if we need him, I don't think is a horrible solution.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I sure hope you're right man!! But Loui is nowhere near Mats Sundin's level.. Sundin is a legend, period! 

Once we get all our bodies back like Motte, Roussel, Ferland, Sutter... there is no more excuse to hang on to Eriksson! I think the CDC will erupt if JB pulls off a trade involving Leivo just to keep Eriksson around! 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2