The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Isles looking for Defensive Forward

Provost

3 hours ago, mll said:

Per CapFriendly there is no cap space to add, unless they can trade a player out or the injuries are season ending and they can continue to use LTIR.  With LTIR in use the Canucks have 30'474.- in end of season cap space before bonuses - it's been stuck at that amount ever since Ferland went on LTIR.

With all the recalls and Motte, Leivo on IR rather than LTIR, they have only 215K in cap space and need to create some 3.5M to activate Ferland.

Ferland's 3.5M LTIR = Graovac 700K + MacEwen 995'833 + Bailey 700K + Brisebois 888'333 + 215'834 still available

They can't demote all to activate him given the injuries so would also need to move some IR players to LTIR.

Leivo 1.5M + Graovac 700K + Motte 975K = 3.175M

Moving out Schaller, paying/retaining to get rid of even half of Baer's hit and moving Roussel should be more than enough to create some elbow room and we still have the option to retroactively place Leivo, Motte on LTIR if required.

They've got this.

2 hours ago, mll said:

LTIR doesn't really allow to bank cap space so it creates bonus overages that then count against next season's cap.  Not ideal with Pettersson/Hughes still on their ELCs next season.

This is the key... if we traded Eriksson today, we would still not have enough cap space by the end of the season to absorb the bonuses.

We have to have everyone back from LTIR and demote all their replacements in order to start banking cap space.

I still hold out a faint hope that there is some sort of unknown paper move trickery that made Petterson and Hughes into injury replacements and have their bonuses covered... but no one has ever found any evidence of such a thing, so we have to assume based on what we know.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Moving out Schaller, paying/retaining to get rid of even half of Baer's hit and moving Roussel should be more than enough to create some elbow room and we still have the option to retroactively place Leivo, Motte on LTIR if required.

They've got this.

Pettersson and Hughes are likely going to hit their schedule A of 1.7M combined. Gaudette and MacEwen might have some games played bonuses.  

There is about 27% of the season left today.  The Canucks are in LTIR so they are not banking cap space.  They can only create cap space over the rest of the season.  

To create 1.7M with 27% of the season left they need to clear some 6.3M -  6.3M x 27% = 1.7M.  The closer to the TDL the more cap space they need to clear because there is less time left to bank cap space.  There will likely be an overage and the earlier they can come out of LTIR and start banking cap space the better.  

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Pettersson and Hughes are likely going to hit their schedule A of 1.7M combined. Gaudette and MacEwen might have some games played bonuses.  

There is about 27% of the season left today.  The Canucks are in LTIR so they are not banking cap space.  They can only create cap space over the rest of the season.  

To create 1.7M with 27% of the season left they need to clear some 6.3M -  6.3M x 27% = 1.7M.  The closer to the TDL the more cap space they need to clear because there is less time left to bank cap space.  There will likely be an overage and the earlier they can come out of LTIR and start banking cap space the better.  

Yup... and Schaller ($1.9), Baer at 50% ($1.65) and Roussel ($3) = $6.55m.

Any other moves beyond that (say Stecher) are gravy.

Edited by aGENT

4 hours ago, mll said:

Per CapFriendly there is no cap space to add, unless they can trade a player out or the injuries are season ending and they can continue to use LTIR.  With LTIR in use the Canucks have 30'474.- in end of season cap space before bonuses - it's been stuck at that amount ever since Ferland went on LTIR.

With all the recalls and Motte, Leivo on IR rather than LTIR, they have only 215K in cap space and need to create some 3.5M to activate Ferland.

Ferland's 3.5M LTIR = Graovac 700K + MacEwen 995'833 + Bailey 700K + Brisebois 888'333 + 215'834 still available

They can't demote all to activate him given the injuries so would also need to move some IR players to LTIR.

Leivo 1.5M + Graovac 700K + Motte 975K = 3.175M

You forgot about Baertschi.

Convince a team to take him and there’s your solution.

54 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup... and Schaller ($1.9), Baer at 50% ($1.65) and Roussel ($3) = $6.55m.

Any other moves beyond that (say Stecher) are gravy.

Let's hope they find takers.  It would solve a lot of cap issues and create much needed space for next season.  

1 hour ago, MattJVD said:

Lievo and Motte aren't on LTIR, just IR. So when Ferland is ready we'll just retroactively put them on LTIR and be under the cap.

If Benning can make it all work, I agree that keeping the team in tact is best.

Just feel like it'll be tricky. We have had cap issues since the start of the season.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Okie....

What I'm saying is it's not like Sutter or Beagle are playing in major key situations like Horvat, for example.

They're spending their time on the fourth line, penalty kill, etc.

Are they effective on the fourth line and penalty kill? Yes. I have no problem with keeping them.

Just trying to say they're ultimately expendable, which is true. They won't be around long term.

1 minute ago, the grinder said:

or loui at 6 and schaller at 1.9   and throw in stecher   there is almost 10

Yeah... except the guys I posted are all actually movable.

I'd happily get rid of Eriksson but it's just not likely happening. At least not until after his bonus is paid this summer anyway.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

They've got this.

Why would the NYI want to take on a 1.9mil contract for a ineffective fourth line plug?

They won't want to take on Baertschi's contract when he's been playing in the AHL all season.

Why trade Roussel when we need an agitator for a playoff run? Doesn't seem like he can play the penalty kill, either. Not what NYI are looking for.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Yeah... except the guys I posted are all actually movable.

I'd happily get rid of Eriksson but it's just not likely happening. At least not until after his bonus is paid this summer anyway.

oh  I don't know about baer  he has only been on waivers twice right ,  maybe the sedin ceremony will give  loui a hint to retire while he is on top of his game  lol

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

What I'm saying is it's not like Sutter or Beagle are playing in major key situations like Horvat, for example.

They're spending their time on the fourth line, penalty kill, etc.

Are they effective on the fourth line and penalty kill? Yes. I have no problem with keeping them.

Just trying to say they're ultimately expendable, which is true. They won't be around long term.

Well at least you got one thing right. They'll both be gone in the next couple years.

Sutter's been playing 3rd line actually, not 4th, they have 63% and 77% 'unimportant' dzone starts, they win 'unimportant' faceoffs and are our two key, 'unimportant' PK C's. All while furnishing our offensive players with easier offensive minutes and zone starts and keeping Horvat fresher by not burdening him with all those responsibilities (and in Sutter's case, also supplying a fair amount of secondary/depth scoring and also contributing to our PP).

Practically plugs, barely contributing :rolleyes:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Why would the NYI want to take on a 1.9mil contract for a ineffective fourth line plug?

They won't want to take on Baertschi's contract when he's been playing in the AHL all season.

Why trade Roussel when we need an agitator for a playoff run? Doesn't seem like he can play the penalty kill, either. Not what NYI are looking for.

Because he could be had for a bag of pucks and is a proven NHL player (with a decent track record playing out East). And he would only be about $400k pro rated and is expiring.

Never said NYI's specifically would want Baer (though they could).

Why do we need an 'agitator' for a playoff run? He can and has PK'd. Again, not necessarily NYI specific. We're talking about general 'clearing of cap' in the present discussion.

6 minutes ago, the grinder said:

oh  I don't know about baer  he has only been on waivers twice right ,  maybe the sedin ceremony will give  loui a hint to retire while he is on top of his game  lol

Have we offered to retain? Have we added sweetener? Was it the TDL where he only has 1.25 years remaining? Did teams have injuries or perhaps a desire to late season stock pile some NHL-able players that have already cleared waivers?

As for Eriksson...Gordie willing!

Edited by aGENT

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Well at least you got one thing right. They'll both be gone in the next couple years.

Sutter's been playing 3rd line actually, not 4th, they have 63% and 77% 'unimportant' dzone starts, they win 'unimportant' faceoffs and are our two key, 'unimportant' PK C's. All while furnishing our offensive players with easier offensive minutes and zone starts and keeping Horvat fresher by not burdening him with all those responsibilities (and in Sutter's case, also supplying a fair amount of secondary/depth scoring and also contributing to our PP).

Practically plugs, barely contributing :rolleyes:

Yeah I know I'm right, I've claimed they're expendable from other beginning.

Sutter's been on the fourth line for the most part, but bottom six is fair. Once again, not saying he isn't useful, but ultimately replaceable.

Sutter has taken 280 faceoffs all year

Miller = 577

Beagle = 599

Horvat = 1248

My point still stands. 

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Because he could be had for a bag of pucks and is a proven NHL player (with a decent track record playing out East). And he would only be about $400k pro rated.

Never said NYI's specifically would want Baer (though they could).

Why do we need an 'agitator' for a playoff run? He can and has PK'd. Again, not necessarily NYI specific. We're talking about general 'clearing of cap' in the present discussion.

Have we offered to retain? Have we added sweetener? Was it the TDL where he only has 1.25 years remaining? Did teams have injuries or perhaps a desire to late season stock pile some NHL-able players that have already cleared waivers?

As for Eriksson...Gordie willing!

Well that's what this threads about, and you seem to think my suggestions are dumb, but you've offered up terrible solutions.

Would we take on a $2mil contract for a fourth line plug and trade a pick? No.

NYI don't want your suggestions, they want a Sutter, Beagle, or even an Eriksson if the deal can be sweetened.

We don't need an agitator for a playoff run? Kesler and Burrows were critical pieces for us in 2011.

Edited by Tystick

Just now, Tystick said:

Yeah I know I'm right, I've claimed they're expendable from other beginning.

Sutter's been on the fourth line for the most part, but bottom six is fair. Once again, not saying he isn't useful, but ultimately replaceable.

Sutter has taken 280 faceoffs all year

Miller = 577

Beagle = 599

Horvat = 1248

My point still stands. 

Sutter's been injured...

Miller = 9.95 FO/game in top 6 (19:54 ATOI)

Sutter = 8.5 FO/game in bottom 6 (14:53 ATOI)

#contextmatters

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Sutter's been injured...

Miller = 9.95 FO/game in top 6 (19:54 ATOI)

Sutter = 8.5 FO/game in bottom 6 (14:53 ATOI)

#contextmatters

But I thought he was so critical for our team? Yet he's played 59 games over the last two seasons.

I wonder what we will do when his contracts up since he's so immensely valuable to us and can never be replaced.

• Wat 1

Just now, Tystick said:

Well that's what this threads about, and you seem to think mysuggestions are dumb, but you've offered up terrible solutions.

Would we take on a $2mil contract for a fourth line plug and trade a pick? No.

NYI don't want your suggestions, they want a Sutter, Beagle, or even an Eriksson if the deal can be sweetened.

We don't need an agitator for a playoff run? Kesler and Burrows were critical pieces for us in 2011.

The conversation in this thread moved to clearing cap. Try to keep up.

Again, $400k prorated, not $2m. And the deal could easily be for nebulous 'futures' or something like Schaller + a 7th for a 6th. Playoff teams trade for depth NHL players every TDL.

Again, try to keep up. Discussion in the thread changed.

They were a touch more than 'agitators'. Did we win the cup in 2011?

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

But I thought he was so critical for our team? Yet he's played 59 games over the last two seasons.

I wonder what we will do when his contracts up since he's so immensely valuable to us and can never be replaced.

#strawman