The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Isles looking for Defensive Forward

Provost

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No....Schaller/Roussel would be redundant to semi-redundant winger, defensive forward 'options'. Sutter and Beagle are integral, veteran C depth who can play hard minutes, PK, dzone start and WIN DRAWS.

Sutter and Beagle aren't 'cap dumps' we need 'opportunity' to move.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

We need cap space, so we need to move a contract.

So if they're searching for a defensive forward, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson are the options.

Schaller would net us $1,900,000 in cap space, which is not enough.

Roussel is not what they're looking for IMO, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving his contract either.

Just now, theo5789 said:

Not that I want Ladd, but to answer this question. Perhaps it's more of an opportunity to see if he can get back to the NHL. We brought Schenn back from the minors for a spell and earned him another contract. We have actually utilized LE. If Ladd can put in the work, maybe he can try to win a 4th line/extra forward spot. Maple Ridge guy, so he might put in the extra effort to stay in Vancouver or at least be a call up option. Utica is in New York, so not that shabby either and as Shorty said, he's heard Utica is nice this time of the year!

I guess? he has all the control in this anyway, so really we'd have to know what he thinks about playing in Vancouver. Given that he passed on us in free agency I'd guess he likes it out east. 

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying.

We need cap space, so we need to move a contract.

So if they're searching for a defensive forward, Beagle, Sutter, and Eriksson are the options.

Schaller would net us $1,900,000 in cap space, which is not enough.

Roussel is not what they're looking for IMO, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving his contract either.

Sutter and Beagle aren't 'options' we're going to move heading in to the playoffs for the first time in half a decade with a bunch of young, inexperienced greenhorns.

$1.9m cleared is a lot better than zero.

How is Roussel not what they're looking for?

Just now, aGENT said:

Sutter and Beagle aren't 'options' we're going to move heading in to the playoffs for the first time in half a decade with a bunch of young, inexperienced greenhorns.

$1.9m cleared is a lot better than zero.

How is Roussel not what they're looking for?

Roussel isn't a defensive forward IMO, more of a grinder and agitator.

We can move Sutter, for example, and still be okay in the playoffs.

They're not that important for us, they play a fourth line role. 

I would argue, Roussel, will be the most important, of the four players, heading into the playoffs.

• Wat 1

LE+ to Minnesota - take Koivu's expiring contract.

They can say what they want, but they're selling, and they're eating.

Get in while Guerin is riding his high = opportune time to take advantage of his afterglow.

Although when push comes to shove, I'd rather give an Eastern conference Canadian franchise the futures - frack Minnesota.

Edited by oldnews

1 minute ago, Tystick said:

Roussel isn't a defensive forward IMO, more of a grinder and agitator.

We can move Sutter, for example, and still be okay in the playoffs.

They're not that important for us, they play a fourth line role. 

I would argue, Roussel, will be the most important, of the four players, heading into the playoffs.

_KCcHFtwk4U8d1AVo00_y5ISVkRywfbWplSw5oY3

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if he had wanted to be a Canuck he could have signed here. Just dont see why he'd shake up his family life so that we could shed ourselves of Loui. I think this ones a non-starter. 

Well things were significantly different several years ago when he signed his contract.
We probably weren’t offering the same sort of contract, we weren’t close to a playoff team, and he hadn’t been relegated permanently to the minors.

I don’t think a decision from 3 1/2 years ago has any bearing on a’ entirely different decision now.  Virtually none of the variables are the same.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Well things were significantly different several years ago when he signed his contract.
We probably weren’t offering the same sort of contract, we weren’t close to a playoff team, and he hadn’t been relegated permanently to the minors.

I don’t think a decision from 3 1/2 years ago has any bearing on a’ entirely different decision now.

fair enough. 

For me I'd rather just hang on to Loui for this year while he's still useful vs taking back another bad contract even at 50% retained. He becomes a decent buyout option for us next season, or maybe he takes the bonus and retires, or maybe we can shed him at the draft. Better options emerge to move Loui if we wait imo. 

Now if a team like Ottawa would take him for a b-prospect and later round picks yeah I'd be all over that. Might even consider something like Loui + Woo to Ottawa if Jim had a deal lined up for another top 4 d heading into the playoffs. 

19 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I guess? he has all the control in this anyway, so really we'd have to know what he thinks about playing in Vancouver. Given that he passed on us in free agency I'd guess he likes it out east. 

Did he pass on us? I don't remember us offering him a contract.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

fair enough. 

For me I'd rather just hang on to Loui for this year while he's still useful vs taking back another bad contract even at 50% retained. He becomes a decent buyout option for us next season, or maybe he takes the bonus and retires, or maybe we can shed him at the draft. Better options emerge to move Loui if we wait imo. 

Now if a team like Ottawa would take him for a b-prospect and later round picks yeah I'd be all over that. Might even consider something like Loui + Woo to Ottawa if Jim had a deal lined up for another top 4 d heading into the playoffs. 

Wish in one hand, crap in the other... see which one fills up first.

Edited by Provost

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd need someone who remembers the specifics, all I recall is talk that he wasnt even considering us. 

Well if he's content toiling in the minors and hates Vancouver that much to not care for a fresh start, then good luck to him.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Team has been was better since Sutter came back. Beagle is a warrior. You win games with these guy in your lineup. Either people want to trade Sutter because of his injury history or they have no idea what they are talking about 

well this is the market that blew a million head gaskets when we got Motte for a Vanek rental....(instead of a 4th round pick)...

and the one where numerous prattle-jockeys in the media referred to JT Miller as a "cap dump"

most people here hated the Bonino deal - until they saw what he was capable of - and then they bandwagoned, sent him love songs and cried relentlessly when he was dealt for the next guy to sandbag....

sad thing - that's just the start of a list that could go on for days.

The whining over the Beagle signing was epic.     Neither he, nor Sutter are going anywhere as long as this team intends to make the postseason.

On that note - I may have missed it - but I would have liked to see a bit more of a shout-out for Manny Malhotra last night.  Guys like these tend to fade into the background of memory, but they are absolutely indispensable - the kind of players you win with - that made players like the Sedins much better than most people realize on the surface.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 3

Sutter is, most likely, the player Benning will move before the deadline.

Modified NTC, so he has given Benning his list of 15 teams.

Contract is $4,375,000, so plenty of cap space to add Ferland to the lineup.

Effective penalty killer and plays a great defensive game.

We will have to add a decent prospect if we want to move salary, though.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume this is extreme sarcasm. 

His minutes and defensive game will be important in playoff hockey.   His value in that department is severely underappreciated.   His offensive production is not as expected at his AAV but forgetting AAV, his contribution as a responsible forward who can move up and down the lineup and eat minutes when you need to control a game are unmatched across the current Canuck lineup save perhaps three others.    

No sarcasm whatsoever.    Hate on as I know this guy gets mostly that.    

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

We will have to move someone if we want Ferland to join the team.

$215,834. That's how much cap space we have right now.

So I would say a team that's searching for depth, in this case NYI, is a likely trading partner.

NYI have $18,345,802 in cap space. This is an opportunity to move Sutter, Beagle, or Eriksson.

If we don't want to take a contract back, we need to sweeten the deal with a prospect, which we have a surplus of.

Makes sense to me.

We have guys on IR that can go on LTIR after Ferland is done with his conditioning stint in Utica.

Still, I can see a move before or at the deadline.