The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Ducks trade Ondrej Kase to Bruins for David Backes, Axel Andersson, 2020 1st-round pick

5 hours ago, VforVirtanen said:

I made a perfectly reasonable proposal for how to make this happen in my status update but I have yet to receive any $20 bills from cdc members.

i thought you were organizing your bike route

to come by to each of our homes to pick it up

waiting for confirmation still of the date and time

i'm told you were going to first do the rural areas

like prince george, rupert, and some of the smaller northern towns

let me know when you are doing the vancouver area

i was not bugging you, but being patient, as i knew it would take you some time

to cover the rest of the province first

15 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i thought you were organizing your bike route

to come by to each of our homes to pick it up

waiting for confirmation still of the date and time

i'm told you were going to first do the rural areas

like prince george, rupert, and some of the smaller northern towns

let me know when you are doing the vancouver area

i was not bugging you, but being patient, as i knew it would take you some time

to cover the rest of the province first

Especially when I have to bike from Ottawa. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

Only team left in the Krieder sweepstakes is probably Colorado. Rangers are suddenly believing they have a shot at the playoffs with their Russian goaltender, I’m not sure they’re selling anyone but Lundquist.

Lundqvist isn't going anywhere. He might retire though. He's got a NMC and has been a career Ranger and seems to love it. Swedes are loyal for the most part. I think if there is a young goalie ready to take over then he will feel pride holding the fort long enough for them to turn things around again.

6 hours ago, 6string said:

He looked awful in the playoffs last year, the game is far too fast for his beaten down and aging body.

Cassidy unlike Green doesn't hesitate to throw youth over the boards, giving them solid minutes.

The Bruins can do this because their core is still playing well and are a veteran group. Our core is young and we have surrounded them with veteran support. When our core matures, then we will start seeing what Boston is doing. It's a process, trust it.

• Wat 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

And that’s why JB shouldn’t be allowed to sign any more UFAs.  His signings have come back to stick it to us, cap wise.  Seriously, we are having trouble signing Marky and Tanev!  That should never have happened.  And wouldn’t it be nice to resign Tofu?  We could have Marky, Tanev, and Tofu or we can have Loui, Sutter, and Baer.  Oh boy!  Nicely done JB. 

Baer and Sutter weren't UFA signings. We will likely buy out Baer next year and save some cap. Sutter could be traded if he remains healthy and has a decent playoff showing. I'm expecting that we look to trade Roussel this offseason as well. We are hoping for the gentleman's agreement that you're promising for LE. That will open up a nice wad of cap. Cap will rise as well. Assuming enough to at least cover the bonus overages for next season if not more.

We will see how it all plays out. I have a feeling we will make it work. The fact that we could even afford to bring in "Tofu" is a nice work around from our cap issues. We will sign Marky to a reasonable deal and if he wants a payout, then we ride Demko with a veteran backup. We make the playoffs this year and the concern for the 1st given up is gone even if we falter next season for whatever reason. It'll also open up more room to tend extend Tanev (who I'm currently thinking is the odd man out cap-wise next season if we sign Marky) to build a solid D foundation in front of Demko.

11 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

True enough, but I believe this dude to probably be top-5 in the nhl speedwise... the only player I’d say that I’ve seen play live with similar speed is McDavid.

Chimera and Cogliano are a couple other examples of players who are fast that didn't have the hands though. Both still carved out good careers though. I just don't know if Kase is going to suddenly find his hands. Kase likely is a good 3rd line (2nd line fill in) player, but we will see how he does in Boston. Sometimes there are just right fits that take players games to another level.

11 hours ago, rekker said:

This, and Backes has a year less remaining. Also, it's up for discussion but imho Backes offers more as a player than Loui.

Backes with a year less remaining makes his price to move significantly lower. Backes didn't offer enough as a player for Boston to keep him.

13 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Not really, our 1st would be much higher better than Boston's, Woo is a better prospect than Andersson, and Loui still plays in the NHL. 

I also like Kase alot more than Miles Wood.

The 1st will depend how each team performs in the playoffs, assuming we both make it. Yes Boston is the better team on paper right now, but so was TB and they were swept in the 1st round. You never know where that 1st might finish.

I doubt many people even knew who Axel Andersson was before this trade. I sure didn't, so hard to tell what kind of dman he is. Both were 2nd round picks (although Woo was 20 picks higher). Statistically on paper Woo looks better, but this is Andersson first season in NA coming over as a 19 year old, so maybe there's some adjustment for him. It is certainly arguable that Woo is better at this point though.

Loui currently still plays in the NHL, however Loui has an extra year on his contract. That's major negative value in a cap dump move. So arguably whatever advantage we are giving up compared to Boston is negated by this extra year and possibly even more so.

16 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I still imagine if st.louis didnt match that offer sheet. The destruction Kes and Backes would have done. My god that would have changed the dynamic of our team. 

If Kes did more than say hi to Kelly, then yes the destruction they would have done to the dynamic of our team would be catastrophic :bigblush:

11 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Are the Ducks really gonna play Backes?? If not..... send him over! We can use his toughness and leadership... but they gotta retain 80% of the salary!

I assume you’re joking. But in case you’re not I’ll just remind you that the maximum a team can retain is 50% 

38 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Bruins can do this because their core is still playing well and are a veteran group. Our core is young and we have surrounded them with veteran support. When our core matures, then we will start seeing what Boston is doing. It's a process, trust it.

Flip it anyway you want but the Bruins insert their youth into the lineup no holds bar.

Pastrnak, Krug, DeBrusk, McAvoy and Carlo seemingly appear overnight as regulars with veteran like presence and there are others too taking regular shifts.

Interesting to see what their average age standing is in the league.

9 minutes ago, 6string said:

Flip it anyway you want but the Bruins insert their youth into the lineup no holds bar.

Pastrnak, Krug, DeBrusk, McAvoy and Carlo seemingly appear overnight as regulars with veteran like presence and there are others too taking regular shifts.

Interesting to see what their average age standing is in the league.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2020.html

Based on this, Boston's average age is nearly 2 years older than ours (surely Chara bumps that up).

With that said, we also have players like Bo, Jake, Brock, EP, Quinn appear seemingly overnight and have become the young core that I speak of. What's Boston's core?

We literally had Gaudette beat out Baertschi for a spot this season. Our youth is coming in, but with a core that is young, they are getting veteran support. And like I said, once our core matures, we start seeing the current vets get pushed out and filled in with youth. This is because our core can start to handle the tougher minutes and also for cap reasons as they start getting paid the big bucks and our depth is filled with cheaper youth.

Trust the process.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_2020.html

Based on this, Boston's average age is nearly 2 years older than ours (surely Chara bumps that up).

With that said, we also have players like Bo, Jake, Brock, EP, Quinn appear seemingly overnight and have become the young core that I speak of. What's Boston's core?

We literally had Gaudette beat out Baertschi for a spot this season. Our youth is coming in, but with a core that is young, they are getting veteran support. And like I said, once our core matures, we start seeing the current vets get pushed out and filled in with youth. This is because our core can start to handle the tougher minutes and also for cap reasons as they start getting paid the big bucks and our depth is filled with cheaper youth.

Trust the process.

Trust the process.

Been a Benning supporter since he was hired ( my comments over the years back that 100% ), accept the fact that Boston has faired better since 2011.

4 hours ago, 6string said:

Trust the process.

Been a Benning supporter since he was hired ( my comments over the years back that 100% ), accept the fact that Boston has faired better since 2011.

Yes and they have been in a different trajectory since 2011. I'm not concerned that they've been better. We needed a rebuild and a change of the core. We will get back there.

• Upvote 1