The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Two draft-day trades

14 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Why does a rebuilding NJ want an overpaid 31yr old bottom 6 forward? 
They might have some interest in Stetcher as a bottom pairing RHD. Then again they may be able to fill that spot just as effectively internally without having to deal with a RFA with arbitration rights 

Why does Montreal want Rousell? (Don’t say because he’s French). Montreal has an over abundance of bottom 6 guys. I can’t see them Having any interest 

Tanev is a pending UFA.  With the negotiation window very few teams will trade anything for the rights to a player that they can already talk to 

I agree, Stetcher, Demko, are players that teams will be interested along with Jake....Sutter is alway injured , 31 yrs old, 4.3 mil cap, would have to retain 2 million..

I would trade Boser for Dumba....Then Dumba will fill top #2 D man spot.......Trade Tanev for 2nd or 3rd rounder so we have money to sign Tafolli to fill Boser"s spot... Taffoli is a more complete player and he will be a 30 goal guy in Vancouver...

Edited by wildcam

6 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I agree, Stetcher, Demko, are players that teams will be interested along with Jake....Sutter is alway injured , 31 yrs old, 4.3 mil cap, would have to retain 2 million..

I would trade Boser for Dumba....Then Dumba will fill top #2 D man spot.......Trade Tanev for 2nd or 3rd rounder so we have money to sign Tafolli to fill Boser"s spot... Taffoli is a more complete player and he will be a 30 goal guy in Vancouver...

At this point they’d be trading Tanev’s rights.  With the teams being able to talk to players a week before free agency you don’t see many trades involving UFA rights anymore.  A 2nd or 3rd for Tanev’s rights is pretty unlikely.  

Sutter, Roussel, and Benn are the lowest hanging fruit for a trade.   That said none of them will be that easy to move unless we make the playoffs and they are a factor before and after (and their value goes up).   We might need to add just to dump them.   I'd add Bear to that list but he has even less value, cleared waivers twice and definitely would be a cap dump that would cost us picks and or prospects to get rid of.   Demko and JV have value, maybe a multiplayer trade where they take one of these guys and the return is small.    I'm sure JB would love to add picks AND dump some cash.   Won't happen without paying a modest price - or even a steep one.    TD to Detroit might work - same with OTT,  but doubt his value is very high until after the ED and some more improvement between now and then.   Why would they do this when their own goalies have shown similar promise?  What's his face in OTT just beat us right?

Also as far as Holtby goes - highly doubt he's staying in WSH.  Unless something happens and Samsonov derails in the playoffs - but even then he's way cheaper and they won't  be able to compete with other teams looking to solidify their goaltending long term.   He's good for at least 5 of a 7 year deal.   When did 30 become so darn old in the NHL? 

• Like 1

Washington has $21.25 committed to 4 centers for 2 more seasons (Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Eller, Dowd). And they have Boyd as a younger guy who can play wing, or fill in when there is an injury. So why, of all teams, would you think that Washington would be interested in Sutter and his $4.375M salary?

I don't actually think Sutter will be as hard to dump as people expect. There will be some teams that need a center for just one season, who may not be able to sign a free agent without offering term. Part of the play may be to acquire him with the intention of selling him with 50% retained at the deadline. Players on the last year of their contracts tend to have a good season (look at Tanev this year).

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Washington has $21.25 committed to 4 centers for 2 more seasons (Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Eller, Dowd). And they have Boyd as a younger guy who can play wing, or fill in when there is an injury. So why, of all teams, would you think that Washington would be interested in Sutter and his $4.375M salary?

I don't actually think Sutter will be as hard to dump as people expect. There will be some teams that need a center for just one season, who may not be able to sign a free agent without offering term. Part of the play may be to acquire him with the intention of selling him with 50% retained at the deadline. Players on the last year of their contracts tend to have a good season (look at Tanev this year).

Like I said to others Sutter is currently playing right wing and that is where Washington is approaching very weak depth come free agency. Boyd is an AHLer. Hathaway is a fringe 4th liner and Kovalchuk is going back to Montreal. A player like Sutter behind Oshie and Wilson would be very beneficial. And with Dillon, Gudas, Holtby likely all walking. They will have cap space.

1 hour ago, ZH96 said:

Like I said to others Sutter is currently playing right wing and that is where Washington is approaching very weak depth come free agency. Boyd is an AHLer. Hathaway is a fringe 4th liner and Kovalchuk is going back to Montreal. A player like Sutter behind Oshie and Wilson would be very beneficial. And with Dillon, Gudas, Holtby likely all walking. They will have cap space.

Regardless of if they have the cap space.  He’s overpaid for the role he would fill in Washington.  They’re a top flight team. Paying an injury prone 3rd or 4th line forward makes no sense when they can fill that slot much more efficiently 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZH96 said:

No he's not. He's occasionally sent down because he's not eligible for waivers, but he's played a grand total of 6 AHL games in the past 2 seasons.

And in the 24 games he's played this season, he has 10 points in limited minutes, 9 at even strength. His even-strength points-per-game are actually higher than Sutter's. And, like Sutter, he plays both C and RW. So why not give Boyd a modest raise, and bump him up the depth chart, rather than paying more than triple for an injury-prone Sutter?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting Boyd is as-good-or-better than Sutter. It's just the difference isn't drastic enough to justify paying significantly more.

...That said, if Washington were interested in Sutter, they may trade Nick Jensen for him, who was rumoured to be available at the deadline. It would mean only adding $1.875M in salary for them. Jensen has had a brutal year, but he's a RH defensive D-man who could at least partially offset the loss of Tanev. But he has 3 years left at $2.5M. Historically he's produced similar to Tanev, and played a similar role. So if scouts think this season is a one-off, and that he could regain his form, it may not be a bad play...will be significantly cheaper than re-signing Tanev, and Jensen has so far been injury-free.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

No he's not. He's occasionally sent down because he's not eligible for waivers, but he's played a grand total of 6 AHL games in the past 2 seasons.

And in the 24 games he's played this season, he has 10 points in limited minutes, 9 at even strength. His even-strength points-per-game are actually higher than Sutter's. And, like Sutter, he plays both C and RW. So why not give Boyd a modest raise, and bump him up the depth chart, rather than paying more than triple for an injury-prone Sutter?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not suggesting Boyd is as-good-or-better than Sutter. It's just the difference isn't drastic enough to justify paying significantly more.

...That said, if Washington were interested in Sutter, they may trade Nick Jensen for him, who was rumoured to be available at the deadline. It would mean only adding $1.875M in salary for them. Jensen has had a brutal year, but he's a RH defensive D-man who could at least partially offset the loss of Tanev. But he has 3 years left at $2.5M. Historically he's produced similar to Tanev, and played a similar role. So if scouts think this season is a one-off, and that he could regain his form, it may not be a bad play...will be significantly cheaper than re-signing Tanev, and Jensen has so far been injury-free.

I always liked Jensens approach even when he was starting out in Detroit. Sutter for him would be a good swap as long as we're clearing cap as well.

7 minutes ago, ZH96 said:

I always liked Jensens approach even when he was starting out in Detroit. Sutter for him would be a good swap as long as we're clearing cap as well.

Like I said, we'd be clearing $1.875M for next season.

However, we'd also be adding $2.5M in 2021-22 and 2022-23 (after Sutter is gone in free agency), and those years are even more crucial. However, if we're going to spend money on a defensive RHD anyways, and think Jensen could fill the role decently, then it should be worth it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, qwijibo said:

Why does a rebuilding NJ want an overpaid 31yr old bottom 6 forward? 
They might have some interest in Stetcher as a bottom pairing RHD. Then again they may be able to fill that spot just as effectively internally without having to deal with a RFA with arbitration rights 

Why does Montreal want Rousell? (Don’t say because he’s French). Montreal has an over abundance of bottom 6 guys. I can’t see them Having any interest 

Tanev is a pending UFA.  With the negotiation window very few teams will trade anything for the rights to a player that they can already talk to 

Why does anyone want players? To fill their rosters, especially these bottom dwellers need someone with experience that will show up to play and provide leadership. 

On 3/3/2020 at 9:00 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

If Detroit doesn't draft top 3 I can see them drafting Askarov(top 10 goalie).

They could still trade for Demko but IDK if they give them a high 2nd, maybe Washington's 2nd.

I doubt they draft Askarov at 4 overall.

34 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Why does anyone want players? To fill their rosters, especially these bottom dwellers need someone with experience that will show up to play and provide leadership. 

That doesn’t answer the question. An injury prone overpaid bottom 6 forward isn’t a piece a rebuilding team gives up assets to acquire. 

and Rousell brings nothing to Montreal that they don’t already have.  

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I doubt they draft Askarov at 4 overall.

Maybe not. Petruzzelli and Brattstrom are their current goaltending prospects. Petruzzelli isn't bad but I would much rather Askarov then Demko or Petruzzelli.

• Upvote 1

On 3/3/2020 at 1:37 AM, BowtieCanuck said:

It's amazing how fast the average Canuck fan wants to throw a goalie under the bus for a bad game, even knowing that goalie is still developing and is not intended to be a starting goalie right now.

No ones throwing Demko under the bus it's just suggesting what is best for the team and for Demkos future. Markstrom became the MVP of the team and is our guy in net now. Markstrom can hold the fort the next 5 to 8 years and Domingue can back him up until DiPietro, Silovs, Kielly, Thiessen, or any other acquisitions or draft picks come knocking. Also Demko hasn't had one bad game he's made huge saves and had good moments but also been equally letting in soff goals and being inconsistent and having many weak games. We were noticeably allowing less goals against when Markstrom was healthy. Demko needs a #1 spot chance with another team for his development and confidence.

15 hours ago, qwijibo said:

That doesn’t answer the question. An injury prone overpaid bottom 6 forward isn’t a piece a rebuilding team gives up assets to acquire. 

and Rousell brings nothing to Montreal that they don’t already have.  

I've definitely seen rebuilding teams, a.k.a us pick up guys like Rousell, Beagle, Simmonds, Kovalchuck, Schaller, which seems pretty similar. We're talking about a minimal 4th round pick. I understand what you're getting at but rebuilding teams do like players they can count on to be a veteran leader and at least shows the fans a modicum of trying.

And how does Roussel playing at his best not add anything to a team?

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I've definitely seen rebuilding teams, a.k.a us pick up guys like Rousell, Beagle, Simmonds, Kovalchuck, Schaller, which seems pretty similar. We're talking about a minimal 4th round pick. I understand what you're getting at but rebuilding teams do like players they can count on to be a veteran leader and at least shows the fans a modicum of trying.

And how does Roussel playing at his best not add anything to a team?

Sutter, at his price tag, is not an attractive piece

and I didn’t say Roussel doesn’t add anything, I said he doesn’t bring anything to Montreal that they don’t have.  Montreal’s current LW depth iincluded Tatar, Drouin, Lehtkonen, Byron, (Plus guys like Evan and Hudon in Laval). They just don’t need to waste a contract spot and cap space on a player like Roussel