The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Columbus Blue Jackets at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 08, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, lmm said:

who is inexperienced?

Practically the entire core. None which have even played meaningful games in March outside Horvat’s rookie season and Miller I guess 

Edited by Devron44

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Fair points but If we scored from center Ice there would have been a burst of energy’s, it’s natural for players to get some adrenaline from a goal.

Petey hasn’t been effective in some games lately as well. Were they less important then yesterday’s ?

Also another point would Petey or Miller be having the same seasons if they were named captain?

You have to admit we haven't seen instant adrenaline from the team like that in a long time. I think special players can do that a few times in their career and that's what makes them special. Burrows "Slaying the Dragon" or Kesler going "Beast Mode".

Petey and Miller are fairly new to this team, what happens when they are saying things in the dressing room and then backing it up on the ice? What does that do to the Captain who is maybe not doing any of that.

Individually, I think they are going to carry on business as usual no matter if they have a "C" on their jersey or not, the more important concern is whether the team follows the person that does have the "C" on their jersey or not.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You have to admit we haven't seen instant adrenaline from the team like that in a long time. I think special players can do that a few times in their career and that's what makes them special. Burrows "Slaying the Dragon" or Kesler going "Beast Mode".

Petey and Miller are fairly new to this team, what happens when they are saying things in the dressing room and then backing it up on the ice? What does that do to the Captain who is maybe not doing any of that.

Individually, I think they are going to carry on business as usual no matter if they have a "C" on their jersey or not, the more important concern is whether the team follows the person that does have the "C" on their jersey or not.

how do you know Horvat is not doing anything to try and get the guys going, none of us are in that dressing room!  some are saying Miller should be Captain, sure he plays hard on the ice, but do you know if he even says anything in the dressing room, do we even know if Green says anything, no we don't really

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

To see what true Leadership looks like, look no further then what Petey did last night. You need to play with a heart of a lion and the team will follow you. Scoring 10 million goals and becoming a "faceoff guru" is fine but when your team is down and they need that "Extra" at the "Right Time" ? We all seen what it did to the team right after that goal last night. The team all of a sudden had a burst of energy. Too bad it didn't last that long though.

I waited for somebody to do that in the 2011 SCF. Did it happen? In 94' when Linden scored 2 goals in game 7 it almost happened. "The Save" by McLean? The goal by Adams? Brown to Bure!!? If Lafayette's shot was only an inch lower!

When we were down and the game is important, some players treat it like "just another game", players like Petey and Miller, don't, and they won't in the playoffs either.

Yeah except leadership isn't something you should turn on/off just because you feel like it. Where was the leadership in recent games against Arizona, Toronto, Ottawa? Where was it a couple of weeks ago in games against Anaheim and Minnesota? Where was it a month ago in games against Calgary and Boston? Were all of those "just another game"?

• Cheers 1

Lack of meaningful games experience.

The last Canucks players to be in the playoffs were Miller and Myers in 2018/19 (Fanta also had 3 games). Before them, in 2017/18, Pearson, Beagle and Toffoli played in the post season.

Other than that, they have no playoff experience. Even the coach is Green, pun intended. And sure, Bo played in 6 games five years ago, but that wasn't much and it was a while ago. 

So, who's going to take the team and lead them to the promiseland? IMO, it has to start with the right coach, especially for a young inexperienced team.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, bree2 said:

so when you see  top teams like the Bruins, Pens, Avs, Tampa, Caps, lose a few in a row , are they poorly coached, uncoachable or scared to play in tough areas. I think not. the Canucks as I have said are a young team learning as they go on the first real year coming out of a rebuild, of course there are going to be mistakes, by the coach and the players,  no team ever goes 82 games and no losses. 

Curiosity, what was your expectation for this team? From what I can tell, we've been sold on the idea of playoffs (Miller, Ferland, Myers), and playoff experience to a "young team" is also very valuable. The frustration many of us have is them selling us this "hope" of making the playoffs for 60 games, then show us $&!# for the rest...

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

I think what's happening with BB is when he broke into the league his while reputation surrounded his shot.  For some reason the amazing shot he had seems to have disappeared. 

But to his credit he still has been managing to rack up points. 

Personally think he is slow but makes up for it with a pretty good hockey IQ. 

Now we have tofu and people see Brock as expendable. 

Everybody's expendable for the right price so why take it so personally?  

If we could land a top 2 dman for Boeser then despite the fact alot of us love the player maybe that would be the overall best move for the team.?

Still leaves a hole in the top six.

remember when we had nobody to play with kes?

people are calling out our captain already.....

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

The impressions I’ve been getting from some fans is Horvat is not doing his job or that they expected more once he dawned the C. I would suspect we’d be having the exact same conversations if someone else was wearing the C. Its classic Canucks talk. 

Having said that I think Bo can grow more as a captain and I honesty don’t even think he’s hit his ceiling yet. I see the similarities in him and Miller and Miller has just arrived as a player 2 years older then Bo. 

I understand the frustration of fans I do, I get it. We’ve “patiently” been waiting for playoff hockey. I say that loosely of course cause frankly we’ve never been a patient bunch. 50 years for some you you will do that. 

I wanna win bad but I see a bigger picture and I see Bo being the captain of a great team for years to come.

12 minutes ago, bree2 said:

how do you know Horvat is not doing anything to try and get the guys going, none of us are in that dressing room!  some are saying Miller should be Captain, sure he plays hard on the ice, but do you know if he even says anything in the dressing room, do we even know if Green says anything, no we don't really

We all know what happens in the dressing room. Green shares it with us all in his post game interviews :bigblush:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Eh, a long long time ago there was a young captain who was getting ripped in this market as well - some dude named Linden.  Then 1994 happened...

I don’t recall any question of young Linden’s capacity to lead the Canucks, but I was only young myself at the time and in high school. 

Perhaps our posting elders recall? 

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

I don’t recall any question of young Linden’s capacity to lead the Canucks, but I was only young myself at the time and in high school. 

There was no internet then

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Pretty sure Linden was carrying the boys from 91-93 as well.. I also don’t remember this level of doubt with Trevor 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Practically the entire core. None which have even played meaningful games in March outside Horvat’s rookie season and Miller I guess 

Miller...... Toffoli                                               Horvat                                

Pearson....... Eriksson                                                                                              Petey

Rous.......  ........                                                                                                        Gaud  MacEwen 

....... Sutter........                                                                                               Motte                    Virt

Edler Tanev                                                         Stetcher                                           Hughes

...... Myers                                                   Fanta                                              

Benn

Domingue                                                 Demko

4 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

The impressions I’ve been getting from some fans is Horvat is not doing his job or that they expected more once he dawned the C. I would suspect we’d be having the exact same conversations if someone else was wearing the C. Its classic Canucks talk. 

Having said that I think Bo can grow more as a captain and I honesty don’t even think he’s hit his ceiling yet. I see the similarities in him and Miller and Miller has just arrived as a player 2 years older then Bo. 

I understand the frustration of fans I do, I get it. We’ve “patiently” been waiting for playoff hockey. I say that loosely of course cause frankly we’ve never been a patient bunch. 50 years for some you you will do that. 

I wanna win bad but I see a bigger picture and I see Bo being the captain of a great team for years to come.

For me, I don't care who wears the "C" I just want the team to play inspired Hockey ,especially when the game is important.

I loved Bo when he first came here and I thought his 1st couple of seasons he was a "shoe-in" for the job of Captain. He just had this fire in him and he wanted to improve every game, and he did.

Now, he seems like he wants to emulate Hank and do what he did. He even sounds like him in interviews.

Maybe he does get back to what he first brought but seeing what Petey can do, in only his second season in, and Miller ,who just came to the team, I am seeing a number of possibilities for letters on their jerseys.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Yeah except leadership isn't something you should turn on/off just because you feel like it. Where was the leadership in recent games against Arizona, Toronto, Ottawa? Where was it a couple of weeks ago in games against Anaheim and Minnesota? Where was it a month ago in games against Calgary and Boston? Were all of those "just another game"?

those were just "off games" that every good team goes through

right Bree

23 minutes ago, bree2 said:

You are exactly right, on all points. ::D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Eh, a long long time ago there was a young captain who was getting ripped in this market as well - some dude named Linden.  Then 1994 happened...

For some it doesn't seem that long ago. Back then there was only the radio, the games on TV, coaches corner ( no plethora of talking heads),  and the print media - for me it was the Victoria Times Colonist and the Vancouver Sun (ha ha what Sun?)... and everyone LOVED Linden.   Before 94.    There wasn't much not to like really.  No internet - no CDC calling for Quins head after ever loss.  

I have a book from 92 called "The Young Stars of the NHL".    Modano and Linden were the featured players.   Both guys were said to be working their way to the HHOF. 

Not sure what you we're reading, listening to, or buying back then - but Linden was considered a future star in the league from the day he was drafted and NOBODY questioned his Captaincy.

94 did happen.  Funny thing is if by some miracle Horvat wins a cup, he won't be considered as the best captain ever.  Same with whomever does finally if he doesn't.  Pretty soon both his legs were broken and his ribs too and still he went out and scored two goals in a tight game seven .... that's the legend of Linden.  He's always going to be the best leader we've ever had.   Because he WAS. 

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

There was no internet then

actually there were hockey related  forums on the old usenet as far back as at least 1992...canucks (and every other team) had a discussion group.  looking through the archives lots of themes persist...blaming the coach/gm during bad years etc...there was way less information about prospects back then..

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I don't know, maybe you should be asking the Captain those exact questions. I was talking about a young player who is just learning how to play in the NHL.::D

We now lost 8 points to NJD and CBJ.. throw in ARI, ANA, WPG games in there too..

What is wrong with the Canucks playing against defensive teams, I don't get it and

it costs us.. we need to adjust our game against those teams because clearly our

regular style of play/system is not working. This is nothing new at all either.. it is

like that since a couple of years already.. play trap and score on breakaways, you 

will not score more than 1 on those teams by a possession game plus you surrender

1 breakaway goal/game too..

Lack of analytics and coaching, this is not on the players IMO.

This, plus Markstrom out, decreased our Playoff chances to way below 50% ..

Therefore, as it looks like no Playoffs again, I created the Canucks Pre-Playoffs.

This will be two best of 7 series starting now. You heard right folks, Playoffs starting now!

Pre-Playoffs Round 1:

vs NYI

@ ARI

@ COL

vs WPG (must win)

vs TBL

@ ANA

@ LAK

Pre-Playoffs Round 2:

@ VGK

vs SJS

vs CGY (MUST WIN IN REGULATION)

vs ANA

@ DAL

@ ARI

vs VGK

If we win both rounds plus get 1 OTL we will have 93 Points EDIT: I'm bad at math 

Calgary 79 Points, 12 GR:

Home: NYI (W), WPG (L), TBL (L), SJS (W), ANA (W), WPG (W), VGK (L), EDM (OTL)

Road: NYR (OTL), NYI (L), NJD (W), VAN (L)

= 91Points and Vancouver should have the better tie break

Arizona should not be our biggest problem, especially if we get at least 2-3 points out 

of the 2 games against them. Calgary is surprising me a bit atm.. they are not as good 

of a team but they battle hard for points.. still I don't see them finishing out too strong.

They got lots of home games left but actually won more on the road, so this shouldn't

be an advantage for them.

Conclusion: I think Calgary is the team to beat for 3rd in the Pacific and as long as we 

win our 2 Pre-Playoff series there should also be some hope for a Wild Card spot in case

Calgary keeps rolling.

EDIT: PLAY THESE GAMES LIKE PLAYOFF GAMES BOYS!!!

Edited by Nathancanuck
Math error
  • Cheers 2