The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Notable Canuck Trades That Almost Happened (Discussion)

Rate this topic

KKnight

Out of pure boredom. I thought it would be fun to bring up notable trades that reportedly almost happened. Any that you remember? 

One I remember is the package to Tampa:

Bieksa 

Burrows 

First 

For Tampa's first that ended up being Hedman. 

• Cheers 1

If we had acquired Gretzky in 1988, not sure what we would have had to give up...

LA gave up Jimmy Carson, Martin Gelinas, and 1st rounders in 1989, 91 and 93.

We didn't really have anyone on the roster at the time with the youth and scoring accomplishments of Carson...  I guess a slightly older Tanti / Skriko might have done the trick.  My guess is they would have wanted Brian Bradley in the package.  He was probably showing the most promise as a young scorer.

As to those first round picks, we could still get Linden and we still steal Bure in the late rounds at the draft.

Our 1989 / 91 / 93 picks ended up being Jason Herter, Alek Stokjanov and Mike Wilson.  I don't mind losing those guys to get Gretzky at all.

Given that it was the Gretzky Kings that gave us trouble in 91 and 93, and Edmonton in 1992...  It's pretty fair to suggest that we could have won multiple Cups in the early 90s with Gretzky on the roster and giving up players that we lost anyway by 1990 and draft picks that never did anything on our team.

With Gretzky on our team, we probably wouldn't have been bottomfeeders enough to draft Linden...but we could definitely still have traded for McLean, Ronning, Courtnall, Adams, Lumme, etc.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Aladeen said:

Burkie was saying TO was all in for Luongo in early 2013 and the ask was Kadri Gardiner and 2 firsts. 

and remember Gillis said, "there is another team interested, and you might be surprized"

... still waiting

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

We came pretty darn close to acquiring Gretzky.  Just imagine if we had added Gretzky to the lineup instead of bloody Messier.

And to think we also almost got a 23rd round pick for Dan Hamhuis and let it slip through our fingers.

I use to think the same when it almost happened

Now that it is passed, kinda glad he didn't, I would hate to have had the greatest player who did so much for the game, promotions, never missed tournaments, he just loved to play hockey, and I would have been upset if he was on our team and people cutting him down,while playing for us,

But

Gretzky, Bure, Mogilny, Naslund, Bertuzzi or Trevor, Lumme, Ohland, Hedican, Gino,Brashear, Mclean, Snow, Irbe would have been fun, Mess prob Messed with the team chemistry

Just now, luckylager said:

My voice is loud. We could see him crying at the free throw line.

He actually looked up at us, with tears in his eyes, right before he missed his 475th consecutive free throw

but what would his carre been like if we had traded for Steve Nash?

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Heard Pitt was hot after Tanti & John Garrett..they dangled Mario. Wisely, we stayed patient.

We actually did trade Tanti to Pittsburgh.  Tanti and Pederson for McBain and Quinn.  Four good players, all of whom had very little left in the tank.

But Quinn did get us Ronning and Courtnall, etc...

• Thanks 1