The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #30

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Top 50 Canucks of All-Time - #30  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #30 Canuck of All-Time?

• G. Adams
    • B. Horvat
    • G. Odjick
    • O. Kurtenbach
    • G. Courtnall
    • P. Skriko
    • C. Tanev
    • D. Babych
    • G. Butcher
    • T. Williams

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Bro, Stojanov is like Abraham Lincoln, Gordie Howe, Audie Murphy and Maximus from Gladiator all rolled into one compared to Messier.

I still have a few more up the sleeve... Stojanov was a feeler :lol:

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

kurtenbach

he only played 2 seasons  here but i still think he was the best offensive, best pure passer and best pp qb , paul reinhart.

I think I probably have Reinhart as the greatest two-season Canuck of all time.  Wish we had him longer...for the purposes of this list and because he sure would have made a difference in '82.  The guy was an absolute monster in the playoffs throughout his entire career, year after year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I still have a few more up the sleeve... Stojanov was a feeler :lol:

Still waiting on Druken, McKalt, Plavsic...or are they too "great" for your liking?  .... Stajonov is great for two things - one being one of two consecutive first round flops (Antoski was the other - but at least he was part of the 94 run and could face punch with the best of them) and two being part of one of the most lopsided trades all-time...Naslund had three first team all-star selections in a row (no other Canuck can say that) - more goals the Stajonov managed after the trade ha ha...power forward indeed.  At least it's not Ruutu (and serious) ... Harold...Harold....Harold....chants were pretty cool too...so maybe he's too great by name association scrap him.     Maybe Malik should get in too for his great shoot-out winner (ha ha)...or Robert Dirk for his Kelowna fans.  Hmmm  bar is still too high....Rome maybe?  Nah.  Patrick White - now there's a champ ha ha.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Still waiting on Druken, McKalt, Plavsic...or are they too "great" for your liking?  .... Stajonov is great for two things - one being one of two consecutive first round flops (Antoski was the other - but at least he was part of the 94 run and could face punch with the best of them)

Two in a row?  I wish.

Antoski.  Stojanov.  Polasek.  Mike Wilson.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Yup, the NHL went downhill in proportion to the lack of quality of nicknames, we should have a poll 

for all time greatest nicknames, I nominate Steamer.

The " House" was pretty cool too.  Sandlak was built like one right?  Strangler and Tiger are up there...I coined Ronning "Radar"  - stuck a little inside my small hockey circle - he looked like Radar from Mash - and zipped around everyone like he had radar on.   As far as the 90's go there were still some good ones around..."Sandman" for Sandy McCarthy comes to mind...later Boogeyman (RIP) for the 2000's.  Nazzy, Watuzzi ... nah not that good - same with Cookie.  JovoCop was a great one though.   Now we have Alien and the Flow which are pretty darn good...Little Ball of Hate is one of my favorites all-time...Brulin Wall wasn't bad.  Cujo too for goalies in the 90's. Godzilla ... Back-up Bob was good especially given it was a local thing mostly.  Suitcase Smith ha ha good-one given he got around - the original Sean Burke (how many teams he play with?)  Garth Snowman was hilarious then and still is now given how much he stuffed his gear and poked fun at how he need the "extra" protection for his chest and ridicously padded shoulders...Captain Kirk...more a pun on his leadership then anything to do with Star Trek.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Once again voting for the always underrated Geoff Courtnall

And nominating Alek Stojanov

Geoff Courtnall was a player I would never give a shift to, when the team was trailing by a goal, with less than three minutes left in a game.

I'd swear 70% of his penalties happened in the third period, three or less minutes remaining.

10 hours ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

All of the nicknames from the 90's on really just involve putting a 'y' at the end of the player's first or last name (e.g., Millsy, Petey, Eddy, Danny, Marky, etc.).  They've lost a lot of colour over time, that's for sure.  I'm pretty sure these nicknames disappeared around the time the league started to clamp down on bench-clearing brawls.:mad:

BTW, voting Kurtenbach and nominating Gary Smith once again.

Voted Kurtenbach and nominate Chris Oddleifson

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I voted Greg Adams!  His playoff performances give him the edge for me in this one.

Nominate Darcy Rota.  Full respect to Hansen but I think Rota did more for the team than Hansen did.  Just a different tier of player.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, gurn said:

Geoff Courtnall was a player I would never give a shift to, when the team was trailing by a goal, with less than three minutes left in a game.

I'd swear 70% of his penalties happened in the third period, three or less minutes remaining.

The only thing that bugged me a little was his streakiness....when he was hot he left you wondering why he couldn't be like that more often - his goals seemed to often come in bunches...and I loved his chip (the big one on his shoulder) but worried for his life when the gloves occasionally came off...other then that he was great - and did his best work in the post season.  Both his and Linden's ppg in the playoffs were stellar...better then the Sedins and pratically anyone else in team history.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

The only thing that bugged me a little was his streakiness....when he was hot he left you wondering why he couldn't be like that more often - his goals seemed to often come in bunches...and I loved his chip (the big one on his shoulder) but worried for his life when the gloves occasionally came off...other then that he was great - and did his best work in the post season.  Both his and Linden's ppg in the playoffs were stellar...better then the Sedins and pratically anyone else in team history.

I remember an interview with him about 10 years ago during training camp.  Geoff was asked what he thought of the young guys on the ice.  His answer was something along the lines of "well if I didn't have as many injuries I'd get out there and kick their ass"  HAHA  Love that guy!

28 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I remember an interview with him about 10 years ago during training camp.  Geoff was asked what he thought of the young guys on the ice.  His answer was something along the lines of "well if I didn't have as many injuries I'd get out there and kick their ass"  HAHA  Love that guy!

Courtnall was great.  Cliff Ronning said he was the best teammate he ever had.  Guy only played 200 something regular season games for us but is still 5th all time in career playoff scoring.  Burrows, Kesler, all those guys had two Presidents Trophy teams and each of them barely has half of Geoff's playoff points.  Same with Naslund.  Bertuzzi has less than a quarter.

Nobody delivered come playoff time like the Lifeline.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Courtnall was great.  Cliff Ronning said he was the best teammate he ever had.  Guy only played 200 something regular season games for us but is still 5th all time in career playoff scoring.  Burrows, Kesler, all those guys had two Presidents Trophy teams and each of them barely has half of Geoff's playoff points.  Same with Naslund.  Bertuzzi has less than a quarter.

Nobody delivered come playoff time like the Lifeline.

That guy was clutch as heck