The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Snowbird Jet Crashes into house in Kamloops

greenbean

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

They weren't in a high enough altitude in the first place, I mean their height was about a 40 storey building? To have that reaction time to eject and deploy a parachute must have been a split second. Absolute tragedy and I feel for the families involved. Seriously though, theres no way in hell that 40-50 year old planes should be in service. They need to upgrade the snowbirds planes

Is this the cause, age? I mean I have heard this a few times in this thread now. Both Canada and the United States operate 40 year old combat fighter jets.

I'm not saying new jets and planes aren't much needed but was it the cause? 

The Americans just had an f22 crash, arguably the worlds most advanced fighter jet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/politics/f-22-jet-crash-florida/index.html

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Is this the cause, age? I mean I have heard this a few times in this thread now. Both Canada and the United States operate 40 year old combat fighter jets.

I'm not saying new jets and planes aren't much needed but was it the cause? 

The Americans just had an f22 crash, arguably the worlds most advanced fighter jet.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/15/politics/f-22-jet-crash-florida/index.html

The plans are 60 years old, but the tech is closer to 70 as they were in development in the 1950's. I'm not saying age is why they crashed, but you have to imagine that a more modern plane with updated safety features could have assisted or made a difference. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Fateless said:

The plans are 60 years old, but the tech is closer to 70 as they were in development in the 1950's. I'm not saying age is why they crashed, but you have to imagine that a more modern plane with updated safety features could have assisted or made a difference. 

Do they not update those like they do other aircraft?

38 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Updates can only do so much for ancient aircrafts.  Plus parts become scarce as it becomes difficult to find.  Relying on robbing parts from one plane to fix another. 

7 hours ago, BPA said:

Updates can only do so much for ancient aircrafts.  Plus parts become scarce as it becomes difficult to find.  Relying on robbing parts from one plane to fix another. 

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

B-52's were built from 1952 to 1962. They will be in service close to their 100th Anniversary. That is crazy. 

On 5/17/2020 at 4:49 PM, Sharpshooter said:

I thought there were two ejections in the video

I only knew that because my dad and his wife were nearby and filming. One of the snowbirds had seen them, so the team’s safety coordinator and 4 of the snowbirds(2 pilots, 2 technicians)  came to see them and the footage they got. While they were looking at the footage, the safety coordinator got the call that she didn’t get out.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, Fateless said:

No. Military pilots do not like new planes with their fancy OS. It takes away all the skill of the pilot and relies on an operating system that can be full of glitches. Look at the new Boeing planes... Pilots like to be in control not an operating system, especially when flying a jet.

7 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I only knew that because my dad and his wife were nearby and filming. One of the snowbirds had seen them, so the team’s safety coordinator and 4 of the snowbirds(2 pilots, 2 technicians)  came to see them and the footage they got. While they were looking at the footage, the safety coordinator got the call that she didn’t get out.

Hope your dad and his wife are ok after seeing that. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, peaches5 said:

No. Military pilots do not like new planes with their fancy OS. It takes away all the skill of the pilot and relies on an operating system that can be full of glitches. Look at the new Boeing planes... Pilots like to be in control not an operating system, especially when flying a jet.

OS on planes is like cruise control for your car.  Good when needed.  But there needs to a manual override to get full control if ever it gets wonky.

On 5/18/2020 at 1:30 PM, Fateless said:

yup, Im pretty sure innovation has come along way in 40-60 years, not just the flying mechanics themselves but ejection seats etc. Especially doing those death defying stunts, I would not want to pilot those planes

On 5/18/2020 at 1:37 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Well they better, I wouldn't want any other lives put at risk because of an inferior plane. The pilots safety is the 1st and foremost priority. I could care less if they shoot up in a straight line up in the clouds or they drew a pikachu in the sky. The pilots shouldn't be put at risk with inferior aircraft

On 5/20/2020 at 7:28 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Eye witness who saw the dead pilot said she was off the seat and the parachute didnt open.  So her seat did eject from the plane, but from the video, I am guessing she was the 2nd one and therefore was lower.  On the video, didn't see the parachute open on the second one.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS3dmuPlPo

17 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Eye witness who saw the dead pilot said she was off the seat and the parachute didnt open.  So her seat did eject from the plane, but from the video, I am guessing she was the 2nd one and therefore was lower.  On the video, didn't see the parachute open on the second one.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGS3dmuPlPo

That’s a good video, thanks for sharing.

18 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Well they better, I wouldn't want any other lives put at risk because of an inferior plane. The pilots safety is the 1st and foremost priority. I could care less if they shoot up in a straight line up in the clouds or they drew a pikachu in the sky. The pilots shouldn't be put at risk with inferior aircraft

From what I can gather, the aircraft are very well maintained, with a rigorous maintenance schedule. The pilots are highly trained and have a lot of experience. Age isn’t a factor when proper and thorough maintenance and safety checks are involved. 

This might have just been a tragic circumstance of mechanical failure, which can and has occurred with even the newest of aircraft, whether military or commercial. 

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Mods please delete if not allowed; but here’s some footage probably unseen.

I don’t see anything inherently delete worthy of the video. Thanks for posting it. It certainly gives the clearest understanding of what happened. 

I would be very interested in hearing about what occurred in the climb which resulted in the rapid descent. It was a a split second for the aviators to bail. Not enough altitude for safe ejection. Not sure what could have been done better. Truly tragic. 

On 5/17/2020 at 5:38 PM, Type R said:

Its worse, the woman who perished husband was in the other plane, he witnessed it.  Apparently she hit a tree as she ejected, and the other fellow hit the roof of a home and is in critical condition.

this is the only place I've heard this, do you have a source?