The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The 19/20 Regular Season

Rate this topic

RogersTowell

If we look back at the predictions thread for the start of the season, you'll find that many were predicting a slightly poorer outcome that we eventually came up with.  If you extrapolate the results from a 69 game season to the full 82 we expected, it turns out that the Canucks performed as well as a 92-93 point season.  Not bad, really, and better than the 90 points I expected.  Petey probably underperformed a bit compared to a number of predictions, but even he is subject a (very very mild) sophomore slump.  Miller was a very pleasant surprise.  We have six players who made or projected to hit 20 goals this season, which is a huge change from most of the past decade.  Hughes made a flawless transition to the show and was a great pick.

I'm looking forward anxiously to the playoffs after spending most of the Winter traveling around Mexico in a camper and then hiding out from the world after returning.  I missed a few things while I was away: playing soccer, hanging out with friends and family, and watching my Canucks.  Bring on the playoffs!

• Cheers 2

Oh for Pete's sake.  How is 66 points in 68 games an under-performing esp. considering he made the All-Star team and is already our best center?  He's already been voted to at least the 18th best center in the league behind some elite company.

The point about Miller being a very pleasant surprise I can definitely agree with.

I was predicting about 90 points if I recall, and we were trending down at the end of the year, so it's very plausible that we would've ended up in the high 80s or about 90 points. Pettersson probably underperformed compared to some expectations, but his points-per-game is actually still slightly up from last year, so I'm not complaining. No slump for him.

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Oh for Pete's sake.  How is 66 points in 68 games an under-performing esp. considering he made the All-Star team and is already our best center?  He's already been voted to at least the 18th best center in the league behind some elite company.

I think a lot of people were expecting an additional year of physical maturity to result in comfortably over a point per game, not a little under.

• Upvote 1

The season has gone pretty much exactly as expected. Couldn't predict the ups and downs of the season, but we are right in that wildcard bubble which is a continuation of our upward trend over the last couple of years.

On 6/29/2020 at 3:52 PM, Phil_314 said:

The point about Miller being a very pleasant surprise I can definitely agree with.

Deep breath, Phil.  Firstly, I started my OP with "if you look back at the predictions thread", indicating that my comments were in relation to the direction of the predictions people made, whether good or bad.  Secondly, I said "a bit" and "very very mild".  He had a solid season for the most part, and I'm ok with that.  I look forward to him being in the top 10 centers in the league in the near future.