The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] NYI sign Sorokin to ELC & 1 year 2M extension

mll

1 hour ago, The Big D said:

Just checked out this guys stats and in the 2015-16 he had 10 shutouts in 28 games played and in the 2018-19 season he had 11 shutouts in 40 games played... WOW

11 minutes ago, -Stammer- said:

I wasn't sure just how good he was until i checked his db. Holy he looks good

He's probably a good goaltender, but I suspect his stats are a bit inflated. I think he's simply on a very stacked team in a league that doesn't have the same parity that it does in the NHL. This past season, he's only averaging about 20 saves again and the year before was about 18 saves a game. Doesn't seem like he faces a whole lot of action if there are any games that he saves say 30 shots, it averages out that he faces some games with like 10 saves then.

Now what's beneficial is that NYI has a system that is quite suffocating, but even Varlamov was making 25 saves a game average facing some of the best in the world. I'd be curious to see how Sorokin is facing better competition and more action.

Another thing of note is to look at the back-ups' stats.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=96821

Pretty comparable to Sorokin for a 33 year old goalie. You'd think if he was that good that an NHL team would give him a shot. He did get a shot in the AHL though and looked far more human.

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

He's probably a good goaltender, but I suspect his stats are a bit inflated. I think he's simply on a very stacked team in a league that doesn't have the same parity that it does in the NHL. This past season, he's only averaging about 20 saves again and the year before was about 18 saves a game. Doesn't seem like he faces a whole lot of action if there are any games that he saves say 30 shots, it averages out that he faces some games with like 10 saves then.

Now what's beneficial is that NYI has a system that is quite suffocating, but even Varlamov was making 25 saves a game average facing some of the best in the world. I'd be curious to see how Sorokin is facing better competition and more action.

Pretty comparable to Sorokin for a 33 year old goalie. You'd think if he was that good that an NHL team would give him a shot. He did get a shot in the AHL though and looked far more human.

CBJ's beat writer Aaron Portzline talked to a few goaltending coaches to try and understand what to expect from Merzlikins as he adjust to the league coming from the Swiss NLA.  They highlighted the difference between Europe and North America in shooting philosophy.

In Europe it's considered limit selfish to take a shot that has only a very limited chance to become a goal.  In North America there is more the tendency to shoot at every opportunity - the get shots on net and good things will happen adage.  In Europe the preference is to create your luck rather than hope for good things to happen.  

Merzlikins allowed several goals where he was just not expecting the shot.  It might require the same adjustment and could explain also in part why Sorokin faced less shots.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

CBJ's beat writer Aaron Portzline talked to a few goaltending coaches to try and understand what to expect from Merzlikins as he adjust to the league coming from the Swiss NLA.  They highlighted the difference between Europe and North America in shooting philosophy.

In Europe it's considered limit selfish to take a shot that has only a very limited chance to become a goal.  In North America there is more the tendency to shoot at every opportunity - the get shots on net and good things will happen adage.  In Europe the preference is to create your luck rather than hope for good things to happen.  

Merzlikins allowed several goals where he was just not expecting the shot.  It might require the same adjustment and could explain also in part why he faced less shots.

Another thing to consider is that because of the different style, they would have to face different traffic in front of the goal.

But that's also why I brought up the back-ups' numbers which are very similar to the starter. Being in a good system (which NYI has) or being on a better team than most of the competition generally leads to inflation of stats.

I still think Sorokin will be a good goalie, but I'm not as wowed by the stats when looking more than just at the surface of it.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

He was simply amazing in the 4 or 5 games I watched.