The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN, DAL, DET cap dumpin 3-way

Massive three way trade to rid us of Eriksson once and for all. 

to happen in this coming offseason. Assumes we re-sign Markstrom 

Canucks Send Louis Eriksson and Thatcher Demko (who will need to be exposed in Expansion draft if we keep him) to Detroit for Pickard (750k, 1 season left)

Canucks also send Kole Lind (also expansion draft risk for Canucks) to Dallas for Blake Comeau (1 yr left at 2.4 million) and a 5th round pick. 

Detroit sends Louis Eriksson @ 50% salary retention (3 mill for two seasons) for Andrew Cogliano (3.25 million for 1 season)

Outcome:

Vancouver sheds Eriksson’s 6 million for the next two years, give up Demko and Lind. Gain Pickard and a 5th. Take on Comeau’s 2.4 million

Detroit takes on 6.25 million in cap this year, 3 million next year, add cogliano and Demko. Lose Pickard

DAL sheds 2.65 million in salary this year, adds 3 million next year, take on Eriksson, give up a 5th, gain Lind. 

I’m quite confident Louis would waive to go to Dallas. Comeau has no trade restrictions, Cogliano has a 6 team no trade list. If Cogliano refuses to to go to Detroit, then have Detroit retain 850k on him and send him to VAN in exchange for  Comeau. Cap stays the same, just Cogliano and Comeau are on different teams than in the scenerio I suggested. 

Edited by The_Rocket

Agreed I don't want to have to move Lind, I think we could have something special there but he hasn't proven anything to warrant interest, at least I'd suspect.

Many AHL All-Stars don't pan out and even at a 39% projected success rate, it's too early to be fearful and dump him for an overpriced vet.

I would rather not re-sign Markstrom he's going to want 5-6 yr deal at 6 mil plus. I would much rather keep Demko and go sign a older, experienced goalie cheap. Looking at ufa list I would look at Elliott, Howard, Crawford or Talbot 1-3 yr at 2 - 3.5 mil per this gives Demko the starting job also leaves us some cap space.

4 minutes ago, WCE said:

I would rather not re-sign Markstrom he's going to want 5-6 yr deal at 6 mil plus. I would much rather keep Demko and go sign a older, experienced goalie cheap. Looking at ufa list I would look at Elliott, Howard, Crawford or Talbot 1-3 yr at 2 - 3.5 mil per this gives Demko the starting job also leaves us some cap space.

howard crawford talbot are all sieves  you wanna be dead last next yr 

3 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hard pass for me. Giving up two high quality prospects just to dump Eriksson isn't worth it.

Better off letting Markstrom walk and signing a cheaper experienced goalie to split games with Demko.

I would be sitting Eriksson this playoffs and telling him he'll be waived to Utica next year if a cheap trade cant be facilitated. Let Eriksson decide if he wants to bus around the US, mutually terminate his contract or retire.

I am pretty firmly of the opinion that there are very few, if any, scenarios where the Canucks are “Better off letting Markstrom walk”. 0 guarantees that Demko ever develops into the type of goalie Markstrom currently is. 

2 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed I don't want to have to move Lind, I think we could have something special there but he hasn't proven anything to warrant interest, at least I'd suspect.

Many AHL All-Stars don't pan out and even at a 39% projected success rate, it's too early to be fearful and dump him for an overpriced vet.

I think Lind has some value as a cost controlled top 9 player in a couple season’s, but I think there is more value in using him to shed cap today. Canucks need space next season and this might get it done. 

1 hour ago, WCE said:

Doubt marky commands that much in a flat cap world, but even if he does then dropping Eriksson is the only way to get it done. Marky just earned mvp this past season. The Canucks are a far worse team without him

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

And how many 3 way trades have we seen in the past decade? Getting a trade is hard enough with the cap, but to get two other teams involved, yikes. 

I admit they are rare; the duchene one is the only one that immediately jumps to mind. Doesn’t mean it’s impossible though. All teams benefit

If Detroit wants Demko then we should be looking at getting their 2nd round pick this year.  They have 3 picks in the 2nd round so they shouldn't have a problem letting one go for a prospect like Demko.  Also, they have over $35 million in cap space next year so we shouldn't need to take any cap back in a trade.  For Demko they need to take Loui's contract at full pop. 

Eriksson and Demko for Detroit's 2nd this year ( or Edmonton's 2nd which they own if it's higher) and Detroit can also throw in a prospect as well like Michael Rasmussen, a nice local boy who could be a Jay Beagle replacement.  I would do that deal.

To add if Detroit wants more then I would throw Stecher in that deal as well to shed more cap space and they get a young right sided D.  Actually I kinda like that deal now that I think about it.  Eriksson, Stecher and Demko to Detroit for their 2nd round pick this year and Michael Rasmussen.  Book it Benning...

Edited by Elias Pettersson

19 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Hard pass for me. Giving up two high quality prospects just to dump Eriksson isn't worth it.

Better off letting Markstrom walk and signing a cheaper experienced goalie to split games with Demko.

I would be sitting Eriksson this playoffs and telling him he'll be waived to Utica next year if a cheap trade cant be facilitated. Let Eriksson decide if he wants to bus around the US, mutually terminate his contract or retire.

This is one scenario that seriously deserves some consideration.   I’d hate to lose Markstrom in his prime - and don’t at feel he won’t provide top service for the next three years at least.  However goaltending is the most fickle position- just ask Florida fans.    IF it meant we could sign the other guys including TT without any major cap dumps it’s a worthwhile conversation.   Figure it won’t be enough so Leivo and Stetcher go too - plus maybe Roussel with one million retention should be enough to sign a vet goalie for two years around two (that’s what Allen recently signed for) who we could then expose in the expansion draft instead of Demko.    I think Markstrom is too important to let go and would prefer we didn’t go this way ... that said I do wonder how the team would have done with both TT and BB in the lineup with Demko at the helm.  No way is Demko peaking yet - he will get better.   

Edited by IBatch

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Detroit wants Demko then we should be looking at getting their 2nd round pick this year.  They have 3 picks in the 2nd round so they shouldn't have a problem letting one go for a prospect like Demko.  Also, they have over $35 million in cap space next year so we shouldn't need to take any cap back in a trade.  For Demko they need to take Loui's contract at full pop. 

Eriksson and Demko for Detroit's 2nd this year ( or Edmonton's 2nd which they own if it's higher) and Detroit can also throw in a prospect as well like Michael Rasmussen, a nice local boy who could be a Jay Beagle replacement.  I would do that deal.

Demko by himself is worth around a high second.  They would ask a lot more to add LE to that deal, like a first, Lind and a 3rd, we get the second back for Demko.   That’s about it.   Detroit is the obvious target for 10–12 other teams like us looking for some wiggle room.  Better get in there right away otherwise the pain could be extraordinary.  Yzerman is a very good GM and I’m sure at least one team will get fleeced - and hope it’s not us.

Edit:  and not to be nit picky but Demko is no longer a prospect.  He’s a proven young back-up with some upside.  Detroit would be going full tank mode if they went with him more then 50/50 next season ... maybe that’s their plan though.

Edited by IBatch

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Demko by himself is worth around a high second.  They would ask a lot more to add LE to that deal, like a first, Lind and a 3rd, we get the second back for Demko.   That’s about it.   Detroit is the obvious target for 10–12 other teams like us looking for some wiggle room.  Better get in there right away otherwise the pain could be extraordinary.  Yzerman is a very good GM and I’m sure at least one team will get fleeced - and hope it’s not us.

Edit:  and not to be nit picky but Demko is no longer a prospect.  He’s a proven young back-up with some upside.  Detroit would be going full tank mode if they went with him more then 50/50 next season ... maybe that’s their plan though.

Fair enough.  I don't think Detroit has any plans on making the playoffs anytime soon, so going with Demko next year shouldn't be a problem.  I can see alot of teams wanting to do a deal with Detroit this summer as they have massive cap space and aren't looking to make the playoffs next year, so they could be a good dumping ground for a bad contract like Eriksson.  We would at the very least need to get their 2nd round pick.  I wouldn't trade Kole Lind at this point, he looks like a stud and may replace Virtanen on the big club sooner than later.  They need help on D so I would give them Stecher as well.  I'd love to get Michael Rasmussen back in a trade, but I'd do Eriksson, Stecher and Demko for their second.  Detroit get their potential starter in net, they have zero goalie prospects, and they also get a starter on right D.

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’d say Demko’s value is similar to what Freddie Anderson was when the leafs acquired him in 2016. A late first round pick (ended up being 30th overall since the pick was originally held by pitsburg who won the cup) and a 2nd in the next year. 

since Demko is a little bit less proven, maybe a 3rd And a (late) 1st would be his value. 

based on that value, and the fact the Detroit desperately needs a goaltender to add to their core, I think Demko is fair enough compensation for taking on half of Eriksson’s salary and one year of Cogliano 

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

I’d say Demko’s value is similar to what Freddie Anderson was when the leafs acquired him in 2016. A late first round pick (ended up being 30th overall since the pick was originally held by pitsburg who won the cup) and a 2nd in the next year. 

since Demko is a little bit less proven, maybe a 3rd And a (late) 1st would be his value. 

based on that value, and the fact the Detroit desperately needs a goaltender to add to their core, I think Demko is fair enough compensation for taking on half of Eriksson’s salary and one year of Cogliano 

Detroit is pretty high on Petruzzelli - Demko is ahead of him as he’s now a proven back-up ... Bernier is definitely going to finish his contract and be their likely starter so acquiring Demko works well for their ED draft scenario.   It would be a big gamble for them though - Petruzelli  is considered a high end prospect plus they have Larsson toiling away in Grand Rapids.  Their goaltending depth isn’t so bad they need another guy like Demko (unless they truly believe he’s a future starter - do you?)  With the ED looming Detroit for sure is the right target / but I doubt we are getting as much as Andersson got - he was was a better goalie at the time and had better upside then Demko, by a fair margin. 

Figure into the fact that 10-12 other teams are also going to court Detroit so they can weaponize their cap space and the ED (for sure Yzerman knows he have us over a barrel) the return won’t be much.   Consider too then we have to find another back-up who’s cost may or may not be the same as Demko ... likely not but it could also blow up in our faces.   Maybe they’d swap goalies but that’s about it.  And then we’d still be faced to look for a veteran back-up.   Consider this scenario instead.  We let Markstrom walk.  Reduce our cap hit and find a vet to split time with Demko.     There is absolutely no way that Detroit would do this deal - even without the ED looming and Covid.   Your overrating Demko’s value.   It’s just as likely he becomes a career back-up or fades away as he turns into a regular NHL starter.    A gamble I doubt Detroit or OTT or anyone makes under the circumstances.  Of course i could be wrong - and hope I am ... but don’t think I will be. 

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Fair enough.  I don't think Detroit has any plans on making the playoffs anytime soon, so going with Demko next year shouldn't be a problem.  I can see alot of teams wanting to do a deal with Detroit this summer as they have massive cap space and aren't looking to make the playoffs next year, so they could be a good dumping ground for a bad contract like Eriksson.  We would at the very least need to get their 2nd round pick.  I wouldn't trade Kole Lind at this point, he looks like a stud and may replace Virtanen on the big club sooner than later.  They need help on D so I would give them Stecher as well.  I'd love to get Michael Rasmussen back in a trade, but I'd do Eriksson, Stecher and Demko for their second.  Detroit get their potential starter in net, they have zero goalie prospects, and they also get a starter on right D.

A few things - I absolutely agree we shouldn’t be trading Lind.   He’s a forward we will need to replace someone with to help with our cap.  Don’t want to trade JV either.  Even at 2.5-3 he’s valuable.   As far as Detroit goes they do have two prospects - one they and other scouts are high on in the college circuit.  And they haven’t written off Larsson yet either.  The best deal I could see with Detroit is Demko for Petruzzelli and a second.   The cap dump would be Demko and that’s it.  Stetcher has little trade value if we don’t sign him (which I’m pretty sure will happen anyways just for cap reasons).  Another club just had to wait for us not to sign him and gobble him up like LA did with Hutton.    I like Demko.  Met him two years ago in Laval (he was injured but came out while in lineup to buy some beers) - he’s a stand up guy and anyone who ends up with him could do very well.   Goaltending isn’t a high return trade at the best of times...Lack for example.  Or Nilsson after a .920sp in Buffalo for us.  Sure his age is a little better ... but not enough for a great return.  I figure a second straight across will be about the best we can do under the circumstances. 

Edit:  Demko will be 25 next season - with a career sp at .906 and a GAA of over 3 and 5 more wins then losses and OTL over 37 NHL games.   Personally I think he’s more valuable on the team and at the very least a sacrifice which suck but it is what it is.     We could also walk away from Masrtrom, trade Pearson or a Roussel and sign TT and a capable vet to teach him the ropes.  Or keep both and give a little more at the ED so Seattle takes a different player. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1