The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Let me begin by saying there were more than a couple passengers in this game. But I’ll mention the two most talked about.

We can harp on Jake all we want, but he is a 3rd liner and we have lots of those. Very expendable. 

It’s Brock I’m most concerned about, we are counting on him to do big things. 

This guy can’t seem to finish and I clearly saw him shy away at one point from in front of the net (was during one of our PPs). He was hit by a Blue the play before and it seemed that he didn’t want anymore punishment.

He won’t go into those dirty areas and sacrifice himself. Saddens me to say that I don’t think this guy has the heart to be a playoff performer.

I saw that. He backed off before the Blues player even got there. Hugh difference when you see a guy like Perron jamming away. 

He doesn't want it.

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Was 1-1 5 on 5 on the scoresheet, our PP and poor second period let us down. 

You're right, it was 1-1 5 on 5 and that's all that matters, other than we were down 3-1 and couldn't generate much of anything after the 1st period. All I'm saying is no matter what the refs did today we weren't coming out ahead. It wasn't our night.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck2288 said:

Real coach ? 

what has he ever won as a coach? Exactly 

he is an imposter 

Pretty sure everyone on here knows who the imposter is - go back to the HF boards and don’t come back until the leafs win a cup 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Ahhh experts didn’t pick us therefore we simply lower our bar and then feel “happy” we do better than the lowered bar 

seriously? 

those “defending champs” will be destroyed by the Avalanche (a rising team) 

Once Green is gone and a real coach comes in then the Canucks will rise and truly move forward 

You’re probably right about that. Say we have Green for another few years and a new coach does come aboard. Petey Hughes will be one their prime. Probably  some pretty decent movement on the back end. Podz will have a couple years.  I think we’ll have a hella good team 

• Like 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

It is part of the learning curve. This needs to extend before the core though. The young core has shown they can carry the mail, Petey & Hughes are 2nd in playoff scoring. Horvat is right up there too.

The expectations now are going to be playoffs. Lots of pressure on management IMO, its clear this supporting cast isn't good enough. 

If this team misses next year (or doesn't take a step in the first round) Benning is likely done. 

Surely there's a group here that wishes this would happen. I highly doubt if we make it back to the playoffs and get knocked out in the first round, it means Benning is done. Really all depends on why it happened.

Yes expectations will be that we should be a playoff team. A vast difference from the start of the year when many were still on the tank bandwagon and suggesting we were still a couple of years away. Benning has expedited our trajectory with the major addition in Miller and the value we are now seeing in Myers. We now have an idea of which players to work with for a playoff roster, so Benning can adjust. Green has experience coaching in the playoffs and the team as well. The ones that want to win will take this experience and take it to the next level. We have a foundation now to build on.

The young core has done well, but it's in critical times like these when they need to shine. They can rack up the points, but these are the playoff moments where the cream should rise to the top. The focus is on them and they are heavily scouted and played hard against. We will see if they can push through this year. I'm not counting them out just yet.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Green Building said:

You're right, it was 1-1 5 on 5 and that's all that matters, other than we were down 3-1 and couldn't generate much of anything after the 1st period. All I'm saying is no matter what the refs did today we weren't coming out ahead. It wasn't our night.

No we did ourselves no favours with our special teams play which was the biggest difference tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

You’re probably right about that. Say we have Green for another few years and a new coach does come aboard. Petey Hughes will be one their prime. Probably  some pretty decent movement on the back end. Podz will have a couple years.  I think we’ll have a hella good team 

We can’t afford to wait 

do it now and get the good habits and systems in place 

that’s my point 

we need a system, it was yet another tire fire today..   same thing we have seen all season 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

Blues getting their tires pumped right now by the media and their fans. Fair enough, I think we did a bit of the same after game 2. That backfired on us though, I think it will backfire on them too. 

Just the fuel we needed after a loss.

Canucks take the next one.

They’re the cup champs. They literally went through this last season. I’d think they have a pretty good handle on handling the ups and downs of playoff hockey.  I doubt media attention has any effect in their confidence one way or another.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

He was at least an assistant at the NHL .... unlike zero nhl coaching experience Green 

look at the moves Berube has made just this post season 

Green coached a WHL Championship winning team and a Calder finalist AHL team. 

Until last year Berube had never coached a team beyond the second round. 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Pretty sure everyone on here knows who the imposter is - go back to the HF boards and don’t come back until the leafs win a cup 

Oh because we just have the Cup winning history ourselves? 

this is why refs and fans in the rest of the country laugh at Canucks fans 

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

He was at least an assistant at the NHL .... unlike zero nhl coaching experience Green 

look at the moves Berube has made just this post season 

Your suck at research.   Two NHL teams wanted TG for a Head Coach job and two wanted him as an assistant coach.  There is a reason for that and he turned the assistant NHL coach jobs down to be a head coach in UTICA.  Why not learn something about the guy you like to criticize so much?   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Powerplay absolutely failed us. We know we have not been able to hang at 5 on 5 we need our special teams to show up. 

Gaudette needs to draw back in .

We look to be in tough now..

The PP was eventually going to regress to the mean. We need our 5 on 5 to step up instead of relying on powerplay, so I do think it's the other way around.

• Cheers 1