The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

People thought I was crazy that the Blues has the series in the bag after game 3 but I guess more of us can agree it's ... 

I do not think many actually thought we would win this series. People think you are crazy because of your roll over and die attitude.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

Too many on here want an all Offense team forgetting about what we saw with Edmonton and Toronto

Yep.  We even have people proposing signing Barrie despite the fact his play in his own zone doesn't even meet AHL standards.  The ability to actually play defense is lost on a lot of posters here.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Dont worry, we will be getting there soon. Remember we can sign Tryamkin and bring Podkolzin and the feisty Hoglander into the lineup in a year. That could make our roster bigger and more aggressive.

Miller-pettersson-Podkolzin

Pearson-Toffoli-Hoglander

Virtanen-sutter-Boeser

Motte-Beagle-Roussel

Edler-Myers

Tanev-Hughes

Fantenberg-Tryamkin

Rathbone

In a year or 2, I hope this will be our lineup going forward which would see more speed and skill upfront and more big bodies on D. Now we probably wont be able to sign Toffoli unfortunately and maybe use Ferland LTIR to save money and probably trade stecher and leivo. Sutter will probably take a pay cut or leave.

Hey! Psst!

Put Horvat back in the middle of the 2nd line

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, FaninMex said:

I do not think many actually thought we would win this series. People think you are crazy because of your roll over and die attitude.

I think the heartbreak is that after 2 games ... the fans had hope. Having hope than losing it, is what hurts the most. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We also need defensemen who can play well enough in their own end to get the damn puck in the first place.  Let's not turn into the Laffs' defense here.

What is the point of getting the puck if all you are going to do is give it right back by either icing it or dumping it into the neutral zone?

I also disagree with the implication that other dmen can't get the puck - mobility can win puck battles too.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dougieL said:

What is the point of getting the puck if all you are going to do is give it right back by either icing it or dumping it into the neutral zone?

I also disagree with the implication that other dmen can't get the puck - mobility can win puck battles too.

Fishing the puck out of your own net is worse than clearing the puck out of the zone.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep.  We even have people proposing signing Barrie despite the fact his play in his own zone doesn't even meet AHL standards.  The ability to actually play defense is lost on a lot of posters here.

Simple, move Stecher, add Barrie move Fantenberg/Benn, bring up Rafferty/Juolevi. Myers, Edler, Tanev each pairing has a puck mover and a defensively responsible player. 

Caveat being Barrie’s salary and what we can/will move to open up room. 

9 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Fishing the puck out of your own net is worse than clearing the puck out of the zone.

You seem to think that repeated icings and giving the puck to the opposition to re-enter the zone won't lead to goals against.

You also understand that Edler is a poor defender in transition due to lack of mobility right? Blues are gaining the zone easily in transition and setting up cycles as a result.

21 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Exactly.  As far as I'm concerned we're playing with house money at this point.  The team's gotten some valuable experience and shown they can hang with the defending champs.  We've already exceeded the goal set out at the beginning of the year of making the playoffs.

If we can somehow scrape out a win on Friday it'd be about the best outcome we could have hoped for with this series regardless of whether or not the Blues take the next 2. By that I mean 11 games of good playoff type experience for our young guys.

3 minutes ago, dougieL said:

You seem to think that repeated icings and giving the puck to the opposition to re-enter the zone won't lead to goals against.

You also understand that Edler is a poor defender in transition due to lack of mobility right? Blues are gaining the zone easily in transition and setting up cycles as a result.

Edler did not have a good game tonight at all. He's too old to be logging 28 hard minutes a night, and I like Stech's battle but tonight they were really off.  

RoR's goal with Stech and Edler battling in the corner leaving Sutter to come from behind the net to try and stop RoR from 13 feet away was never going to end well. That shift was a bummer. But like much of the rest of the team tonight, Edler looked tired.

18 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Glad I couldn't catch this game. Jeez, apparently it was a $&!#show.

I do not think that. It is more that the Blues are starting to play more team D and took advantage of 2 opportunities that the Canucks had lapses on. The Canucks have to make some adjustments on transition and pp but are not so far off that it warrens a doom and gloom attitude.

I think the Blues have studied what the Canucks were doing on the PP and are anticipating. more than reacting. Will see how the coaches react to this.

I do not think that. It is more that the Blues are starting to play more team D and took advantage of 2 opportunities that the Canucks had lapses on. The Canucks have to make some adjustments on transition and pp but are not so far off that it warrens a doom and gloom attitude.

I think the Blues have studied what the Canucks were doing on the PP and are anticipating. more than reacting. Will see how the coaches react to this.

lol there were a lot more than the 2 advantages.. they were all over us with grade A scoring chances everywhere.. the score flattered us.. markstrom did his part.. 5v5 we were non existent just like all series.. their 4th line skating circles and keeping our top line in the defensive zone for a 1:30 basically sums it all up

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Repeated icings is a sign of being out worked. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol there were a lot more than the 2 advantages.. they were all over us with grade A scoring chances everywhere.. the score flattered us.. markstrom did his part.. 5v5 we were non existent just like all series.. their 4th line skating circles and keeping our top line in the defensive zone for a 1:30 basically sums it all up

ROR 2 goals were when the Canucks were chasing the puck and lost him. That is what I am talking about. Blues hit the post 3x(?) but those were just good set plays or a nice pass.

We have not seen the Canucks chasing the puck as much as this game. 

ROR 2 goals were when the Canucks were chasing the puck and lost him. That is what I am talking about. Blues hit the post 3x(?) but those were just good set plays or a nice pass.

We have not seen the Canucks chasing the puck as much as this game. 

the canucks are avging close to 40 shots against in games 2 3 4.. markstrom was bailing them out with saves after saves.. those weren't just the odd it was a nice set play or nice pass... it was all hard work by the st louis winning all the puck battles everywhere. they dump the puck in lean on the defensemen easy retreival and setup.. in games 1 and 2 we won because of the powerplay.. 5v5 we generated nothing in the 2 games that we won.. we never looked scary.. most of our 5v5 goals came off a broken play or turnover.. canucks basically been chasing all series 5v5 and we simply have no answer.. we suppose to have the advantage with the last change but that didn't change anything.

• Like 1

I was talking about running around chasing the play and losing their position which happened more this game.

Markstrom can handle a lot of the shots that are coming at him. He is making big stops and standing tall(er) when our D is in position. The ROR goals do not happen if we had D in place