The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 17, 2020 | Series tied 2-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

I like Virtanen, but I thought he would be more effective this series. He needs to get more involved. He has a great skill set but his drive to be the best is lacking...

That line isn't being utilized for what you're asking of him. 

Edited by Moose Nuckle
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, MikeBossy said:

To this point we really didn't miss Toffoli but sure could use him on the PP. Bo JT Brock and even Virtanen need to park their ass in front of Allen on the PP as they have the size to battle with the Blues D and it allows Petey and hughes the ability to free wheel a bit.

I absolutely agree with you - i am so proud of what this team has accompolished and its series like this that will be valuable learning tools for us moving forward/

I think we missed Tofoli yesterday

interesting that we have a thread about how much depth we had going into the playoffs,

But we used almost al of it between games 1-3 of the playins

Ferland, Tofoli, Gaudette all gone by game 3

now Myers is gone and Stecher looks overmatched

It would be nice to incert Benn for a tired Stecher, but he is already there replacing Myers

It would be nice if Tofoli came back and replaced any of our right side

is Leivo even an option at this point... Josh, where are you????

maybe it is time to see Gaudette on RW

StL has changed 2 RWs Tarasenko for Blais and Brouwer for Kouyru

Stl is playing with 0 RWs at this time

The top-6 looked (understandably) bagged last game - lots of minor mistakes, the puck slipping off Pettersson's stick, weaked/fanned on shots.

I think one of the sharpest coaching moves Green could make is to take Eriksson out of the top-6. Not necessarily because he's been playing badly (I think he's been fine), but the role should be given to a player who has been putting all their effort out: Roussel, Sutter or Motte. I don't think any of them are perfect cures to the top-6, but it badly needs an energy boost. On top of that, the Canucks did win two games straight, and the third game was extremely, extremely close. They can beat the Blues. They just need some minor adjustments to re-energize IMO.

• Vintage 2

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I would consider putting Jake in the Miller spot on the wall for his slapper. Petterson refuses to shoot it so Miller ends up with a shooting chance on the other wall all the time. Only it doesn't look like he has the confidence to take that shot so we play ring around the rosie all day. Jake has a much harder slap shot if he can get a couple on net maybe we can get back to making their PK run around.

Jake has been useless , he has not stepped up at all. he has a harder slap shot, i'll give that to you but  he has been awful this playoffs

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

If we have to rely on our PP to win games we're not gonna get far in the playoffs. 5v5 Blues are out muscling us and out fore checking us and we can't even get the puck out the zone. We need our bottom 6 to start scoring because the Blues are starting to shut down our top guys. Gaudette should be in the line up next game and we also desperately need Toffoli back.

2 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Jake has been useless , he has not stepped up at all. he has a harder slap shot, i'll give that to you but  he has been awful this playoffs

Boeser has been worse. Jake is not a liability, he's just not noticeable. Boeser has killed numerous plays for his line every game, including on the PP. That line is getting carried by Petey and Miller. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

I think the Blues just stole all of Horvat's swagger. Seeing the Blues players on the bench, laughing at Roussel who's trying to amp up the team, wanting to take anyone on. Rooster is one of the few who will sacrifice everything to win, but he can't do it alone. I see a lot of hard work by most of the Canucks players, but not enough sacrifice and do-what-it-takes to win attitude. Believe it or not, there are different rules in the playoffs. The Canucks are still trying to win by playing fair and with good sportsmanship.Teams like that don't win championships.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Petey just needs to get the freaking puck on net.... with his slapper... he is ALWAYS looking for the perfect shot or pass from the half wall spot but its playoff time we need greasy goals and rebounds with guys in front. there are too many players sacrificing their bodies blocking shots to get the perfect angle just hit the net.

Even if he doesn't hit the net, just taking those shots wears the other team down.  Every one of those blocked shots is a potential broken bone, bruise etc.  If guys want to stand in front of our shots and you can't get around them, you go through them.

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Boeser looked great against the Wild, now he looks like he’s skating in quick sand.

if that is true, then whats up with Miller and all the mistakes he is making, i think Boeser is skating fine , watched him several times take the puck down to the blues zone before our other players even caught up to him. i find on this forum, when one says one complaint against a player, certain others follow suit!!! 

15 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Fantenberg is the only dman who I’ve noticed playing the body well. He’s playing very limited minutes and being trusted on the PK. I’m noticing him for really good plays the past couple games but he’s not playing a lot of minutes. So maybe they are sheltered minutes and he’s playing well in those minutes??

Fantenburg is playing 15 minutes a night.

He's playing the highest dzone starts on the blueline at 73%.  Not sheltered nor limited minutes.

He's been outstanding.

He hits hard and often - he stays within himself - maintains excellent positioning, complements any partner well - and critically (this is where Benn lost his job to him imo ) = Fantenburg's first pass is excellent.

I agree that the present situation exposes the need for more effective depth - but not many teams can go blow for blow with St Louis after losing a top 4 big minutes D like Myers - particularly when the team is effectively 3RHD deep - and it forces Stecher into all-situations use.  That's a heavy calling against a heavy team.  At the same time, STL is without Bouwmeester, who likewise, brought a subtle but significant difference to their blueline.

Fantenburg has been the most positive/unexpected surprise this year - Benn has been adequate but a relative disappointment imo.  I don't like to get too critical of depth guys - but I don't think he maintains the pace the team wants/needs to play with - and while he brings grit - and has made some excellent blocks and defensive plays in the past few games, he also is a downgrade in puck movement and mobility.  The transition game up and down the lineup just isnt' quite the same.  I think I'd take the 'risk' of getting Juolevi in the lineup - I think he probably provides better puck retrieval as well - which can help transition the puck  before STL closes in on the forecheck.  There's been a notable difference in the ability to generate those dzone exits in the absence of Myers (I know a lot of people malign the guy, but he does some subtle things very well imo - and brings needed physicality, mobility and puck movement to the blueline). 

That said - this team rarely if ever gets to operate with a healthy blueline - it's been a positively bizarre year - where they were almost healthy on the back end (11 games lost for Edler) - but the blueline is usually a M.A.S.H. unit - so hard to complain about one injury (whereas this year it's been the forward lines getting decimated).  

The team could sure use an upgrade over LE in the top 6 - but Toffoli, Ferland, Gaudette - Leivo....and Green winds up having to placehold the 16th forward onto Horvat's line.  It makes life a little easier for the Blues matchup units for sure - but overall, I've been really happy and impressed with how the team has managed to compete - every team could probably use more depth = this team's depth has been pretty damn good imo.  In the future they'll need their youth to continue to push from within - hopefully guys like Woo, Rafferty, Brisebois, Sautner, Chatfield can provide that from within.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser has been worse. Jake is not a liability, he's just not noticeable. Boeser has killed numerous plays for his line every game, including on the PP. That line is getting carried by Petey and Miller. 

not true, Jake has not pulled his weight at all. not like everyone hoped

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Nuckle said:

That line isn't being utilized for what you're asking of him. 

I am not sure we even see lines at this point

6-40-9 yes

but  70-53- (21/18/71)

26-20-(see above)

64-83-(see above)

71 looked good a few games ago playing up, but seems to have come back to earth/lost his way

18 seems to be a lone wolf out there that is ingored / does not mesh with anyone else on his line, what ever line that may be

I have been down on Green's line blender in the past, however, this playoff it seems to make more sense, 

-winning Loui plays with Bo

-Losing Jake or Zack play with Bo for offense

the only problem is 21-18-71 all have zeros across the board

Rooster 26 is the only 3-4 liner with more than 1 point

Anyone else see that devastating hit McAvoy laid on Staal yesterday? That hit was predatory AF, but it totally changed the momentum of the game.

Now watch the Bruins go to the SCF again. They do what it takes. Wouldn't surprise me to see them play STL again either. 

46 minutes ago, rekker said:

For sure. But in this moment, against the champs, I always believed it was Marky and our PP all the way. If those aren't on, we most likely lose games and the series. 

Oh I agree totally but we can't just rely on that alone. We have guys that can be pesky, we have guys that can get the greasy goals, we have guys that can punish the opposition but we are throwing our young stars out there and asking them to do probably more then they are capable of right now. Like someone else said, they looked tired out there. They are getting the lions share of ice time. Kind of like what we did to the Sedins in 2011. 

Lets be more then one dimensional and throw everything we have at St. louis and see if they can adapt, because right now, we are predictable and their coaching staff are making the adjustments as needed. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, bree2 said:

not true, Jake has not pulled his weight at all. not like everyone hoped

Jake gets 10 minutes a game (if he's lucky) with bottom 6ers that are also not scoring if you haven't been paying attention. But people key in on Jake literally every game as if he's the only bottom 6er not scoring. He's not been good, I agree. But he has not been bad either. Boeser has been bad. Brings no physicality, is not better than Jake defensively, and he got his first shot of the series last game. Boeser consistently turns over the puck. Again I am not saying Jake has been good, but he hasn't hurt us either. Boeser has actively being hurting us. And it's worse cause he gets way more ice time as well. Keep turning a blind eye to no show Boeser and pretend like Jake is the problem though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

Even if he doesn't hit the net, just taking those shots wears the other team down.  Every one of those blocked shots is a potential broken bone, bruise etc.  If guys want to stand in front of our shots and you can't get around them, you go through them.

Yes. We also need to find someone that will use their slapper from the point consistently ala Salo, Ehrhoff, or Edler of old

Bless Huggy, his wrister is great but the slapper needs some umph to it we are too predictable on the PP