Rate this topic

Timbermen

is Jim Benning a good GM?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Is JB a good GM?

• Yes, , he is a good GM
    • No, I'm a better armchair GM

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2020 at 08:42 AM

10 minutes ago, combover said:

People still trying to defend dumb dumb Benning 

lolololololololol.

a dead monkey as gm could have achieved the same as Benning.

you’d be hard pressed to find someone that could  do a worse job with the resources,time and draft position as Benning did. 

Yeah Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin are garbage. Lololololol

You can acknowledge his good moves while admitting he had his whiffs too. He actually assembled a good core, he just failed to build around it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin, Boeser are garbage . Lololololol

You can acknowledge his good moves while admitting he had his whiffs too. He actually assembled a good core, he just failed to build around it. 

Silovs, Rathbone, Woo, Jurmo, Brisebois, Hoglander, McDonough, Klimovich, Forsell, 

Just now, CanuckleHorse said:

Silovs, Rathbone, Woo, Jurmo, Brisebois, Hoglander, McDonough, Klimovich, Forsell, 

All still have a lot to prove before being mentioned in the same breath but yeah the everything Benning did was garbage narrative is both factually incorrect and tired. 

He made good moves/signings/picks and had some pretty bad gaffes. Like any other GM. 

His biggest failure was failing to complete the build of the team, then panicking to save his job. 

What was going on when this poll was taken?

I know this place was a lot more Benning - friendly than most but that’s a crazy amount of support.

For awhile there with Petey-Hughes-Boeser-Miller-Horvat-Demko the skies sure seemed bright.  

Could still be a fun upcoming season as long as we don’t implode the first two months of the year.

I would say JB has had his moments - The selection of Petey caught everyone off guard (other than Canuck insiders) - we all had thought it would be Cody Glass or even Mittelstadt - QH was a no-brainer that even I would not have hesitated just with the skating alone. Jury is still out on Podkolzin but for a 10th pick, current production not great considering the way Caulfield and Matt Boldy have performed. McCann was a good selection but impatience from mgmt cost them

Juolevi -  a poor pick because for what thiey missed in Tkachuk.. JB probably picked by need rather than BPA in that draft and the injuries/character matters did not help Olli. When Virtanen was selected, I actually liked the pick - size and with speed and a local kid - but again some character matters probably hurt more than anything.

I think JTM  was a good trade but others signing have been okay to poor over the years. 

Personally I liked JB as an evaluator of talent, Gillis in trade matters, Gilman in cap issues.  Think you really need to start splitting up the GM job.  Regardless, mgmt should look carefully at character in the draft process as well as stats just  to get an overall picture.

Benning was doing good (not great) when he was surrounded by good people such as Gilman and Linden. I liked him and was okay with him learning and getting better throughout the years.

He brought the heat on himself by creating such a dinosaur management team with letting Gilman go and backstabbing Linden. The moves got progressively worse and worse and more and more desperate. It showed his lack of ability to be a good general manager at this level.

I doubt he ever gets in a management role again, but he's made his money and has a Stanley Cup ring to his name, so I'm sure he'll be okay.

4 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Our best players on the team are drafted by Benning the guys he drafted we are building around and we are starting to add now via our AHL team that’s going to be players that well what do you know was drafted by Benning.

Being able to draft players (especially in the 1st round) is the minimum requirement of a GMs responsibility. And I'm pretty sure the other 31 other General Managers were able to draft their franchise players in the 1st round. 

If this is reason enough to make someone a good general manager then we set the bar really low for general managers. 

As for the players in the AHL they have yet to actually be NHL regulars. And currently nobody in the farm system (aside from Demko) actually became regular NHL players. So, so far development via the AHL has also been kind of bad. 

33 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

I would say JB has had his moments - The selection of Petey caught everyone off guard (other than Canuck insiders) - we all had thought it would be Cody Glass or even Mittelstadt - QH was a no-brainer that even I would not have hesitated just with the skating alone. Jury is still out on Podkolzin but for a 10th pick, current production not great considering the way Caulfield and Matt Boldy have performed. McCann was a good selection but impatience from mgmt cost them

Juolevi -  a poor pick because for what thiey missed in Tkachuk.. JB probably picked by need rather than BPA in that draft and the injuries/character matters did not help Olli. When Virtanen was selected, I actually liked the pick - size and with speed and a local kid - but again some character matters probably hurt more than anything.

I think JTM  was a good trade but others signing have been okay to poor over the years. 

Personally I liked JB as an evaluator of talent, Gillis in trade matters, Gilman in cap issues.  Think you really need to start splitting up the GM job.  Regardless, mgmt should look carefully at character in the draft process as well as stats just  to get an overall picture.

I still think Juolevi was a good pick at the time (not the best pick, but a good one if that makes sense) just his major back and knee injury really stopped him from ever being able to stick at this level now as he's never been able to fully recover. His hockey IQ and passing ability was very evident during his short tenure. 

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Good luck winning a cup with sh*t goaltending.

Demko and Martin sucked harder than page 69 on the hub.

Blame defence for tendies who couldnt stop a beach ball, for Demko it took until returning from injury to figure it out, by then it was too late. Blame anyone you want, ultimately the goalie is in charge of stopping the puck and when your combination of goalies have the worst GSAA combined in the league, you wont win many, if any games.

Basically the team sunk when Demko was either hurt or not playing at a elite level to bail the team out. If a team can't withstand a period w/o their top goalie playing in top form then the team isn't very good. I mean look who Vegas has in net in the playoffs (or for the entire season for that matter) and the Vegas hasn't missed a beat

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yeah Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Podkolzin are garbage. Lololololol

Podkolzin was demoted back to the AHL though. So we don't even know how he will turn out. 

I don't know building a good core argument isn't a good one if the core hasn't done anything yet. You have to have done something to be considered good.

Assembling talent players in a roster doesn't make a good core, otherwise could argue that Oilers had a good core with Eberle, Hall, and RNH. 

5 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

For a short sighted GM he sure as hell put together one helluva future for us.

Mike Gillis was extremely short sighted. Did absolutely nothing to extend our window to win and shortly after the twins prime ended, that was it for this organization.

You realize a GMs job isn't just to draft and trade right ? In fact it's a miniscule part of a GMs day to day activities. The fact there were stories about the front office being in shambles and key people in the Scouting department leaving the organization indicates something was wrong in the office. 

Gillis was anything but short sighted. He tried to find ways in findings new innovations and advancements to manage the team and for players to perform at a high level. The things he did like in analytics and hiring sleep doctors to help players with the travel and timezone shifts likely attributed to the teams performance.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

Lmao OEL crippling the franchise is the weakest bloody thing I’ve ever heard. 1 guy, 1 contract and thats your excuse for a 23 man roster and 50 man organization for failing. Lmao.

It's not just OEL is it ? OEL is bad enough since it adds 7 million not just in the cap but how much you would allocate for new defensemen.

But besides OEL it's Garland and his near 5 million dollar cap hit.

It's also giving up a 9th overall and 2nd round pick with it. 

So it's a combination of inefficient cap problems and sacrificing your future.

Add to the ripple effects of this move 

Let's not forget this management group had to give a 2nd to offload Dickinson. Something needed due to these cap issues (which I admit was also this managements doing as well) and now we are talking about giving up more assets just to get out of Garlands contract. 

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Podkolzin was demoted back to the AHL though. So we don't even know how he will turn out. 

I don't know building a good core argument isn't a good one if the core hasn't done anything yet. You have to have done something to be considered good.

Assembling talent players in a roster doesn't make a good core, otherwise could argue that Oilers had a good core with Eberle, Hall, and RNH. 

The core can only do so much if you don’t build out from it, that is where Benning failed. 

7 hours ago, AnthonyG said:

The Sedins pushed for OEL, everyone dismissed their influence on that move. Do I blame anyone? No. OEL had a great season last year. This year was down, but nowhere near as bad as you all make it out to be when THATCHER DEMKO AND SPENCER MARTIN WERE OUR WORST PLAYERS PERIOD.

So you have two guys who were basically glorified interns (no disrespect to the Sedins but they had no management experience prior to this) pushing the General Manager, who has years of experience working in management, to make this decision? 

If the Sedins made a mistake they made a mistake. But if I had 20+ years experience in the programming field but I made a decision on an important component because an Intern forced me to develop it this way and the program causes a crash. I probably can't go and say the intern told me to do it.  Heck I'd probably be fired 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Being able to draft players (especially in the 1st round) is the minimum requirement of a GMs responsibility. And I'm pretty sure the other 31 other General Managers were able to draft their franchise players in the 1st round. 

If this is reason enough to make someone a good general manager then we set the bar really low for general managers. 

As for the players in the AHL they have yet to actually be NHL regulars. And currently nobody in the farm system (aside from Demko) actually became regular NHL players. So, so far development via the AHL has also been kind of bad. 

Yep they grow on trees :bigblush:

20 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The core can only do so much if you don’t build out from it, that is where Benning failed. 

Oh the flip side the core is the driving force of the team. The Pens won one of their recent cup with a pretty average defense lineup if I recall 

5 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

Yep they grow on trees :bigblush:

Well 32 of them. Point is saying a GM can draft players is a low hanging fruit 

Not saying anyone could do it but it's not the deciding factor of what makes a good GM. 

As the guys in Sportsnet say drafting is a very small part of a GMs duties and most of it lies in the Scouting department anyways 

Edited by iinatcc

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

All still have a lot to prove before being mentioned in the same breath but yeah the everything Benning did was garbage narrative is both factually incorrect and tired. 

He made good moves/signings/picks and had some pretty bad gaffes. Like any other GM. 

His biggest failure was failing to complete the build of the team, then panicking to save his job. 

For me it was keeping that fraud Travis Green and his god awful defensive coach both were over their heads but he believed they were NHL coaches.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

13 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well 32 of them. Point is saying a GM can draft players is a low hanging fruit 

Not saying anyone could do it but it's not the deciding factor of what makes a good GM. 

As the guys in Sportsnet say drafting is a very small part of a GMs duties and most of it lies in the Scouting department anyways 

A couple NHL franchises took over 10 years to get a sniff at the playoffs and at the end for one team they needed a generational talent and they both needed 3 very high draft picks 2 being 1st overall before they finally made it back so no it’s not that easy to draft your core.

Edited by CanuckleHorse

10 minutes ago, CanuckleHorse said:

A couple NHL franchises took over 10 years to get a sniff at the playoffs and at the end for one team they needed a generational talent and they both needed 3 very high draft picks 2 being 1st overall before they finally made it back so no it’s not that easy to draft your core.

Well with that argument what has Petey, Hughes, and Demko as a core done? Give or take the core is at its 5th or 4th year and is in their 3rd head coach (if this happened to the Oilers we'd all be laughing at the team right now)

Edit .. I guess my point is there is really nothing that sets this core apart from any other team. And I imagine if you ask other fanbases not many will set the Canucks core apart from any other average team 

Edited by iinatcc