Rate this topic

Timbermen

is Jim Benning a good GM?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Is JB a good GM?

• Yes, , he is a good GM
    • No, I'm a better armchair GM

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2020 at 08:42 AM

J-23 must have hit the wrong button accidentally, i'm going to count that as a yes vote so it's 2-0 right now.

Thank you for correcting that J-23. Keep the votes coming, lets see if JB's approval rating is as good as Trumps right now.

Edited by Timbermen
  • Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For me, it's hard to say at this time. I think we'll have a better idea in the next 2-3 years based on additional moves and the team's progress. I think some people still see Pat Quinn at the top of the list.

Agreed this is too early to say he is the best GM, but I am sure he is better than Trump.

• Haha 2

Team Tank sure thought so.

:lol:

Meh, EP literally saved his career in my opinion, and then QH and Miller erased most complaints.

Was he actually responsible for those player selections? I know he was responsible for why the team was at that draft position. 

I like the semi-rugged, character team he placed around the kids. Knew that group could contend if they made the dance. If Podz and Hogz take over as Miller fades, etc, the window could be extended, but as a Canucks fan I’ve learned not to hope for much in the ifs-and-buts game. 

I should add that QH probably is something like a 10x8Dman in the making and EP could be a similar deal. Horvat and others could give issues *similar to what Toronto went through with the cap, but luckily they won’t be buying up a top UFA at 10 mil to compliment those two. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

I think Jim Benning and group have done a good job...

Remember there depth of prospect was Gaunce and Horvat when Benning took over....

His first year he drafted Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin,( Forsling Chic)

The depth we now have is incredible  6 years later...Podkolzin, Hoglander, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty, Briesbois, Dipietro, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich,Lockwood , Drafted and playing,Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Gaudette, Stetcher, MacEwen, Virtanen,  Trades and free agents,, Miller, Person, Taffoli, Myers, Beagle,Sutter, Roussel, Benn, Fantenberg. The  Only players that are not Benning's are  Markstrom, Horvat, Edler, Tanev

Benning has turning this ship in the right direction, future is very bright and exciting....Was not that long ago when we could not score..

We can now be behind by 2 goals and win...Very exciting and hard working team, fantastic mix of veterans and young guys...

Benning still takes lots of heat? Look at last June with Miller trade?  I was so happy at the time Miller, 26, 6'3 power forward young , great leader..

Mr.Jim Benning  = Bt Grade

Go Canucks Go...Future is exciting and Bright...

Edited by wildcam
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

For me, it's hard to say at this time. I think we'll have a better idea in the next 2-3 years based on additional moves and the team's progress. I think some people still see Pat Quinn at the top of the list.

i 100% agree this i am huge Benning supporter i still have Pat Quinn at #1 With Benning at #3 like you said tho depending on the next 2-3 years he most definitely has the potential to move up to #1

• Cheers 1

He's likely top three in my opinion along with Quinn and (I know, drafting) Gillis, the only two GMs to build genuinely strong teams that made runs to the finals. The '82 team got hot at the right time, were lucky with upsets around them, and couldn't sustain it outside of a couple of months. If Benning can build a team that gets at least to the conference finals and is capable of finishing top 5 in the regular season, then he's in the discussion IMO.

• Cheers 1

What is the job for a GM in NHL?

As drafting general he's been really good. He had great people scouting for him and he listened to the right people and made some really good final decisions. In that sence he might be one of the best GM. 

But then he made som error in communicating with media regarding Dahlen and Eriksson. That was in my view really bad communicating. 

Here I'm almost alone thinking it's bad. 

Some of you think that a GM can say whatever they want about a player while I say a GM have to weigh their words much more carefully to avoid public rage(among others).

What more is a GM supposed to do? 

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

He's likely top three in my opinion along with Quinn and (I know, drafting) Gillis, the only two GMs to build genuinely strong teams that made runs to the finals. The '82 team got hot at the right time, were lucky with upsets around them, and couldn't sustain it outside of a couple of months. If Benning can build a team that gets at least to the conference finals and is capable of finishing top 5 in the regular season, then he's in the discussion IMO.

Burke and Nonis created MG team - a monkey could have gone in at that point and put it over the top.   He was average at best IMO - his best move was Erhoff and Hamhuis.   Not that hard to find quality guys when we have a team like that.    Drafting was horrendous and he allowed and he sh!t the bed with our goalies allowing that to brew way too long - which didn’t help with what also started in the dressing room.   Also sh!t the bed with his knee jerk reactions to losing in the final trading Hodgson.   That ruined his career.   He wasn’t nearly ready for first line center responsibility- but on our team kept our second PP unit producing after teams figured out how to stop our first unit.    

Id have the best ever Quin, Burke/JB at this point.    Quin was the best trader ... Burke was decent at everything and built  the foundation for the Sedin team plus tweaked the WCE one PLUS was Quins right hand man and mainly responsible for drafting Bure (although he didn’t want to draft him because “that’s a small body gentleman” Quin ignored his advice and did it anyways.   Burke is in for sure given nobody else has come close to working with the team that long and really was a big part of three consecutive cores that at one point or another had the label contender added to it, including favourite to win with the Sedin peak.     MG screwed JB completely when it came to getting anything back... the Linden trade did more for this team then anything else ... although at least Sutter has been playing like a Sutter during the playoffs this year so far ... 

JB is already passed any GMs draft history - and aside from LE all of his signings have been fair - great.    Interested to see what will happen with EP and QHs ... just glad we don’t have Dubas running the team that’s for sure or the only window we will have is this year and next. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Chickenspear said:

Of the more recent decades:

#1: Pat Quinn

#2: Brian Burke

#3: Jim Benning (so far)

#4: Mike Gillis

#5:Dave Nonis

That’s how I’d have it too.   Brian Burke if you include his work with Quin as his right arm man could even be at the top.  That said JB is right behind him already and that’s not a recentcy bias.   Sure his first few years were rough but he followed his mandate and without Miller (Ryan) that mandate would have died right away.  It’s what he did behind the scenes that is most impressive- I don’t mind that we don’t have a GM like Burke who’s constantly making sure his ego is stroked ...   or that maybe he’s not as fun with the media.   And especially don’t mind that other GMs like and respect him, something MG was terrible at.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Of the more recent decades:

#1: Pat Quinn

#2: Brian Burke

#3: Jim Benning (so far)

#4: Mike Gillis

#5:Dave Nonis

Burke because of one draft? He also wheeled and dealed to the point the cupboard was empty of prospects by the time Nonis took over.

For Me:

1. Quinn

2. Benning (so far)

3. Gillis 

4. Burke 

5. Nonis

Yes there's been a 5 year absence in the playoffs. But Benning has at our current stage, has gotten as far as Burke ever did. And polar opposite of Burke has stocked the cupboard.

Having a look at our Expansion Cousins the Sabres. Who have missed the playoffs for 9 years, despite: Never drafting lower than 20th in that time, One 1st overall. Two 2nd Overall, and 7 picks in the top 10. And on their 4th GM in that same stretch. 

• Cheers 4