Rate this topic

Timbermen

is Jim Benning a good GM?  

137 members have voted

1. 1. Is JB a good GM?

• Yes, , he is a good GM
    • No, I'm a better armchair GM

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/29/2020 at 08:42 AM

17 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'd love to have a candid conversation with a couple Leafs coaches about Matthews and Nylander.  One is a lottery champion who scores regular season goals, but seems utterly unable to make his team-mates/linemates better, particularly when it comes time to exit the playoffs in the first round, and the other, well, maybe it's unfair to reduce him to double flamingos, but....

I'm curious - how much better had Matthews gotten over the past 4 years?  Nylander?

for a big player Matthews plays a very soft game. He's probably improved more than Nylander imo since he's OK on face-offs in slightly sheltered opportunities. 

Can you really call Nylander a C? 

On 9/1/2020 at 10:24 AM, spook007 said:

As we are getting better, I think they will be able to get players at a lower price, than they could while being bottom feeder.

Players are not blind... they can see something is cooking in Vancouver.

However fans have to make up their mind as well, do they want good players or not. MG collected a lot at discounted salaries, but the price were NMC's or NTC'...

I don't think we can have it both way.

Would rather spend the coin on some better talent - and then play the youngsters more.

assuming the existing team is a good environment - which I think it now is.  That was a problem before.... so this is a chance to improve the team

Benning’s test starts now. It’ll be his responsibility to try and get the team under the cap considering all the guys that need to be resigned within the next year or two. 

He got us into this cap crunch, it’ll be his job to get us out of it too. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

JB needs to do more work. 

The core of this team is set. The fine pieces need to be shuffled. Subtract and add. 

I wish for Rousell, Pearson, Stetcher, Sutter, Virtanen all gone for a new batch of players. 
Demko has now been well advertised. If we stick with Marky then package Demko with LE for a top 4 defender or a 1st and a good prospect. 

2 hours ago, guntrix said:

Benning’s test starts now. It’ll be his responsibility to try and get the team under the cap considering all the guys that need to be resigned within the next year or two. 

He got us into this cap crunch, it’ll be his job to get us out of it too. 

As long as he steer away from ufa from other teams, our cap situation ain't that bad.

Our team was amazing and got us this far by playing to our advantage, attack, skill and offense. Vegas roughed us up, they had permission to play aggressive from their coach, our players were told to turtle. I am a huge fan but I don't think I could watch another series like that(Van vs. Vegas) where we only play defense, so I hate to say it but I am glad that we lost. Hopefully the coaching staff and the Vegas gambling odds are more in our favor next year so that our boys can actually have a chance to win and play some hockey!

This young core is amazing, so frustrating that they got completely shackled in their play style facing Vegas. Not surprising though, at the end of the day it's all about the money which makes me truly question why I bother watching it in the first place.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, koregen said:

Our team was amazing and got us this far by playing to our advantage, attack, skill and offense. Vegas roughed us up, they had permission to play aggressive from their coach, our players were told to turtle. I am a huge fan but I don't think I could watch another series like that(Van vs. Vegas) where we only play defense, so I hate to say it but I am glad that we lost. Hopefully the coaching staff and the Vegas gambling odds are more in our favor next year so that our boys can actually have a chance to win and play some hockey!

This young core is amazing, so frustrating that they got completely shackled in their play style facing Vegas. Not surprising though, at the end of the day it's all about the money which makes me truly question why I bother watching it in the first place.

Cause it's a good distraction from the complexity of life. 

It sucks to lose but end of day, it's just a game that we have no control over.

• Cheers 1

It would be nice to add 2-3 big bodies that hit to the forward core.

MacEwan can fill one of those , but a bigger version of Motte is needed.

I’m not counting on Ferland ever playing again, but we need that type of player to

get to the next level. Our forecheck was non-existent versus Vegas. 

Bottom 6 need to be bigger.

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2020 at 9:34 AM, wildcam said:

I think Jim Benning and group have done a good job...

Remember there depth of prospect was Gaunce and Horvat when Benning took over....

His first year he drafted Virtanen, McCann, Demko, Tryamkin,( Forsling Chic)

The depth we now have is incredible  6 years later...Podkolzin, Hoglander, Juolevi, Rathbone, Rafferty, Briesbois, Dipietro, Woo, Lind, Gadjovich,Lockwood , Drafted and playing,Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Gaudette, Stetcher, MacEwen, Virtanen,  Trades and free agents,, Miller, Person, Taffoli, Myers, Beagle,Sutter, Roussel, Benn, Fantenberg. The  Only players that are not Benning's are  Markstrom, Horvat, Edler, Tanev

Benning has turning this ship in the right direction, future is very bright and exciting....Was not that long ago when we could not score..

We can now be behind by 2 goals and win...Very exciting and hard working team, fantastic mix of veterans and young guys...

Benning still takes lots of heat? Look at last June with Miller trade?  I was so happy at the time Miller, 26, 6'3 power forward young , great leader..

Mr.Jim Benning  = Bt Grade

Go Canucks Go...Future is exciting and Bright...

On 8/23/2020 at 10:11 AM, -AJ- said:

He's likely top three in my opinion along with Quinn and (I know, drafting) Gillis, the only two GMs to build genuinely strong teams that made runs to the finals. The '82 team got hot at the right time, were lucky with upsets around them, and couldn't sustain it outside of a couple of months. If Benning can build a team that gets at least to the conference finals and is capable of finishing top 5 in the regular season, then he's in the discussion IMO.

On 8/23/2020 at 4:34 PM, CanuckleHorse said:

I loved the big Irishman he’s closes to the heart but Benning is our rockstar and easily the best drafting Gm and most knowledgeable of players around the league we have ever had.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:43 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Potentially the best Van GM ever.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:06 PM, Puckster said:

JB frustrated the heck out of me drafting the 7 dwarfs.... Size matters!!!

But, I have to eat a wee bit of Crow.... EP40 is taking it and dishing it out....Hughes is skating so smooth, nothing seems to stick to him. Motte... he can play on my team with the forecheck and energy he brings. I still think we need an answer for the Reeves of the league and I do not think the Rooster is the best answer for that.

But... here we are :

just bounced the defending champs( who are a big hard team to play against)

just even'd the series with the Big Bad Vegas ( the obvious Golden NHL Team, bigger badder than the Blues)

So, JB is way better than I expected and when he brings home the cup , he will surpass Quinn and Burke IMHO

On 9/2/2020 at 5:51 PM, JM_ said:

Another aspect is the idea of picking people for quality of their personalties. Benning has always stated he looks for "character" - call it the euro skill with Canadian heart thing that caused a fluff a while back. Look at the attitudes of the key picks and the UFAs, they all have that in common. 

We are seeing the benefits of that approach now in guys that are coachable and willing to do what it takes to win. 

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by MinionsHappy Big Brother GIF by MOODMANMothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

Funny thing is I didn't vote ( I think I might have been on vacation in Estonia) ... but if I did I would also have said yes at the time :frantic:

Though if people want to come after me ... just look for the Petterson draft thread :bigblush:

• Haha 1

Okay. Thread's going on 3 years old, but I'll bite.

Benning was a Rookie GM for us. He made mistakes for sure. And mistakes that still haunt us. But I will say it's not just his doing. Ownership is to blame as well and I'm sure Aquaman knows it. And I hope he's learned from it.

Benning got us some good players though in the drafts. Petey, Huggy, Pods, Hogs, Flow, Demmer. And needless to say, he had some misses as well. Questionable trades abound. Won't go into that. And letting go young prospects before they even had a chance to developand/or play for us....Forsling, McCaan.......

But all in all, he did an alright job in his stead as GM here. (leaning towards the negative side of "alright" mid you....) 

He'd be great as part of a scouting crew for an NHL organization though.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1