The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Aug. 23, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 1-0

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure why Green would waste time talking to Roussel. Refs butchered that game following him around giving him a talking to anytime he chirped an opposing player. Players can't chirp each other anymore? What a joke.

I love Roussel, but he acted like a clown even before the game began. It seemed he was trying to do something to drag his team into the war every shift. On one play, after the whistle, there were a few players from both teams gathered about 10 feet in front of Markstrom and Roussel comes up behind a Knights player and headlocks him from behind. What is he doing?

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

I love Roussel, but he acted like a clown even before the game began. It seemed he was trying to do something to drag his team into the war every shift. On one play, after the whistle, there were a few players from both teams gathered about 10 feet in front of Markstrom and Roussel comes up behind a Knights player and headlocks him from behind. What is he doing?

Antoine needs to focus on hockey and scoring timely goals - not that childish crap he pulled last night.

• Cheers 4

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Exactly what we signed him to do. Be a nuisance. If that's not the plan. Don't even bother playing him. Cause he's not a very good hockey player. May as well throw big Mac back in if the plan is to throw a broken Roussel onto the ice and not let him be a pest.

26 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

we don't have a physical response to Reaves, unless the plan is to let him break his hand on one of our guys faces. 

If the team puts out the kind of effort we saw in game 5 vs St Louis we can win this thing, and Reaves will be watching from a shortened bench. Thats the only way to neutralize him, he's pretty much a plug and if Vegas is playing from behind and/or on their heels he's not much use. 

Absolutely agree - we beat teams with our skill - not the crap Rousell was doing. If he wants to be that way then man up and drop them with Reaves . Its another way to get him off the ice.

• Cheers 4

33 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Class doesn’t win Cups.

You’d think Canuck fans would have learned that by now. 

Of course he’s going to ensure he gets in the heads of his sleeping giant of an opponent! Of course! 

He wants the Canucks to come out emotional, not anything else. He knows they could win 4-straight, that’s why he’s part of the taunt. 

Like it or be triggered by it, it’s a particularly useful tactic.

I hope TG also gets to use it in Game 5 when we close it out. 

Class doesn't but antics don't either. 

Play hard, hit, score, and out hustle your opponents. Those things will fire your team up. That's what Rous should focus on.

Trying to get in the goalie's head through chirping, not sure if that matters much. Petey and Hughes aren't getting fired up watching Rous take 10 minute misconduct penalty or starting up meaningless conversation with Lehner during pregame skate.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure why Green would waste time talking to Roussel. Refs butchered that game following him around giving him a talking to anytime he chirped an opposing player. Players can't chirp each other anymore? What a joke.

This is part of the reason I wasn't particularly keen on the Roussel signing.

It seems like this team has gotten neutered on a regular basis - imo a 'rat'/agitator presence just invites another generation of doghousing of this group among NHL officials.  I like Roussel, I like the way he plays the game - but in the end, I'd have preferred to focus on guys that command respect - that don't back down - but bring that with the kind of edge, drive, no-nonsense that guys like Dorsett, or Gudbranson did.   Particularly with a young group - I don't think it serves to drag the game deeper into trenches when you have a core made up of a rookie, a sophomore, a rookie captain.....I think unfortunately it plays out of their strengths as a group - and possibly exposes your young talent in ways that aren't opportune.  I was concerned that Roussel would be the next generation of being disrespected - as with Burrows - who I also greatly appreciated as a player - but was a target to more than just his opponents.

Was happy with Roussel earlier in the season -  when he was avoiding all the chirpt, the agitation and sticking to hard work between the whistles - but he's regressed imo and as fun as it is to watch at times - some good laughs - in this context, I have to agree with Reilly Smith - Vegas is happy to oblige this.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MikeBossy said:

Absolutely agree - we beat teams with our skill - not the crap Rousell was doing. If he wants to be that way then man up and drop them with Reaves . Its another way to get him off the ice.

The thing is, Reaves didn't do much yesterday. The only time I noticed him was when he was on the bench making chicken noises or getting hugged(?) by Roussel.

5 of their top 6 forwards scored. That's why we lost.

Somehow Reaves seems to be on a lot of fans' minds when he was irrelevant yesterday. I'm more worried about Stone. The way he times his stick check to pickpocket Hughes and the way he clogs up the ice and causes turnovers in our zone, those things scared me. Reaves and his chicken noise didn't.

Ignore Reaves and he will be irrelevant and he will try to make himself relevant by taking penalties.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Class doesn't but antics don't either. 

Play hard, hit, score, and out hustle your opponents. Those things will fire your team up. That's what Rous should focus on.

Trying to get in the goalie's head through chirping, not sure if that matters much. Petey and Hughes aren't getting fired up watching Rous take 10 minute misconduct penalty or starting up meaningless conversation with Lehner during pregame skate.

We going to talk about Boston and Chicago ? 

When you think about it, the game is like one big Recess for the players. They all play the game by the rules and focus on good hockey skills. But there's that one kid (Roussel) who is out of control and the Staff (referees) are annoyed as F*** with this kid. lol  They even gave him a 10-minute timeout for crying out loud lol

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

we don't have a physical response to Reaves, unless the plan is to let him break his hand on one of our guys faces. 

If the team puts out the kind of effort we saw in game 5 vs St Louis we can win this thing, and Reaves will be watching from a shortened bench. Thats the only way to neutralize him, he's pretty much a plug and if Vegas is playing from behind and/or on their heels he's not much use. 

The response needs to be puck pressure imo - over 200ft.  Easier said that done against a good team that moves the puck well, with speed, has size throughout their lineup - but imo the key is to refocus on the game they played - for the most part - in the 1st period.  They flagged a bit - even the first wasn't quite at the level it needed to be - but worrying about responding to Reaves is playing into a weakness.   He'll get his hits - but beyond that - the team needs to adjust - support the puck better, and in the end, reduce the opportunities that Reaves has to play the body - if they retrieve and move pucks quicker, with better first passes, it shifts that advantage away from Vegas, and to the transition game - which was a bit slow tonight.  Not going to blame guys like Benn, LE, et al - but I do think the group as a whole was a bit slow, and the '2nd' line was relatively invisible, except for the moments they were exposed.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Have a feeling Roussel is going to come out next game looking like a neutered dog, after Green has a talkin' to him.

and Reeves will still go after him and the refs will ignore it. should all our players just sit back and take it from  vegas? 

17 minutes ago, NeilColville said:

We going to talk about Boston and Chicago ? 

And there is precisely the counterpoint to what you're saying about BLM here.

We got pushed around by Boston - got the shaft from the Gregory/Colin Campbell patronage, Marchand was rat-free to speedbag a Sedin (never gets his balls busted ala Burrows or Roussel), guys like Thornton and Lucic free to  'goon' it up (by the loose/'modern' definition of the term being used here) - was that a result of Lucic Lives Matter?  No. This is nothing new and Reaves' 'race' really has nothing to do with it.   Are we going to counterpoint this with more politics and point out that Lucic gooning was never reduced to racial terms - is that white privelege relative to Reaves?   The point here: if you don't want politics leaking into all things sport, maybe leave the politics out of it yourself.

34 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

come on thats not what i saw

1 hour ago, Screw said:

The only thing that bothers me is the Bettman "Welcome to the league.  Please enjoy your complimentary Stanly Cup contender package"  

I couldn’t disagree with this more.

When Vegas selected their team, nobody (and I mean NOBODY) thought they were a contender. They unearthed talent where nobody expected it (Karlsson), and took advantage of overconfident GMs who were not accepting the new trends in the game (Schmidt, Smith). It was nothing short of brilliant management and pro scouting. Framing it as merely being handed a contender is both revisionist history and willfully ignorant.

Seattle gets the same rules as Vegas, and even got a gift with the unexpected flat cap. But still, I don’t expect them to be anywhere near as good as Vegas.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

This is part of the reason I wasn't particularly keen on the Roussel signing.

It seems like this team has gotten neutered on a regular basis - imo a 'rat'/agitator presence just invites another generation of doghousing of this group among NHL officials.  I like Roussel, I like the way he plays the game - but in the end, I'd have preferred to focus on guys that command respect - that don't back down - but bring that with the kind of edge, drive, no-nonsense that guys like Dorsett, or Gudbranson did.   Particularly with a young group - I don't think it serves to drag the game deeper into trenches when you have a core made up of a rookie, a sophomore, a rookie captain.....I think unfortunately it plays out of their strengths as a group - and possibly exposes your young talent in ways that aren't opportune.  I was concerned that Roussel would be the next generation of being disrespected - as with Burrows - who I also greatly appreciated as a player - but was a target to more than just his opponents.

Was happy with Roussel earlier in the season -  when he was avoiding all the chirpt, the agitation and sticking to hard work between the whistles - but he's regressed imo and as fun as it is to watch at times - some good laughs - in this context, I have to agree with Reilly Smith - Vegas is happy to oblige this.

I know exactly what you're talking about with Roussel being neutered by the refs.  

Game starts, Roussel gets pulled aside and warned immediately by the refs and linesmen.  I'm not talking about game 1, I'm talking about the entire two seasons of him being on our team.  It's a style that's on the way out almost, it's better to be an agitator that throws questionable hits then chirps the opposition unfortunately. 

Just now, VancouverHabitant said:

I know exactly what you're talking about with Roussel being neutered by the refs.  

Game starts, Roussel gets pulled aside and warned immediately by the refs and linesmen.  I'm not talking about game 1, I'm talking about the entire two seasons of him being on our team.  It's a style that's on the way out almost, it's better to be an agitator that throws questionable hits then chirps the opposition unfortunately. 

if its on the way out then why is reeves and the whole team still allowed to do it

33 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Exactly what we signed him to do. Be a nuisance. If that's not the plan. Don't even bother playing him. Cause he's not a very good hockey player. May as well throw big Mac back in if the plan is to throw a broken Roussel onto the ice and not let him be a pest.

I wouldn't say Roussel is not a good hockey player - he brings certain elements that - beyond being a nuisance - can bring real value on the ice. 

But I think what Green is probably saying to him are a few things along the lines of 1) read the lie of the land = if you are clearly in the crosshairs of the zebras, then ride the right edge/line - and 2) pick your spots wisely - otherwise, you give them the opportunity to give you the shaft - an opportunity they took - one that was relatively predictable.  The point Green is probably making - tune in and be smart about it.

1 minute ago, bree2 said:

if its on the way out then why is reeves and the whole team still allowed to do it

Because it's easier to warn and throw out one player then the entire team on the other side.  Seems unfair but that's just the reality of it.