The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[speculation] Domi on the move?

qwijibo

5 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

Honestly we need a top 6 playmaker with grit spit n a lil ductape. If Brock isn't going to be the triggerman on the PP then he just sorta skates around like a lost puppy turning pucks over. I feel like Domi might be a better fit for how the team is constructed. In terms of point production I would say they are close to on par with a slight edge to Brock in the goal scoring dept and edge for Domi in just being harder on pucks and making plays.    

Domi and 39th OA I don't think would be ludicrous. Niemla and Barron right in that range both look to be stud RHD's

I don’t see Montreal adding anything to Domi.  Especially not a high 2nd.  He’s a C which is generally worth more, he hasn’t had the injury issues Boeser has had. And he’s had a 72 point season compared to Boesers next season of 56 points.  

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t see Montreal adding anything to Domi.  Especially not a high 2nd.  He’s a C which is generally worth more, he hasn’t had the injury issues Boeser has had. And he’s had a 72 point season compared to Boesers next season of 56 points.  

Domi is RFA Brock is on a good contract. Brock is scoring at roughly .82 ppg career, Max @ .67 ppg. 

Domi is playing on MTL who was so desperate for C's they reached for Kotkniemi *sp. Can you splain me why Domi isn't even playing C in MTL? I don't think you can hang your hat on his Center prowess however he is a great playmaker. 

Anyway no need to argue. If there isn't a deal to be made no biggie. I stand by a Brock for Domi swap there would have to be an add on their side they have 3 2nd's flipping one of them for a 1st line goal scorer when the top scoring  talent on your team is Thomas Tatar would seem like a shrewd move to me.  

5 minutes ago, Whalespray said:

Domi is RFA Brock is on a good contract. Brock is scoring at roughly .82 ppg career, Max @ .67 ppg. 

Domi is playing on MTL who was so desperate for C's they reached for Kotkniemi *sp. Can you splain me why Domi isn't even playing C in MTL? I don't think you can hang your hat on his Center prowess however he is a great playmaker. 

Anyway no need to argue. If there isn't a deal to be made no biggie. I stand by a Brock for Domi swap there would have to be an add on their side they have 3 2nd's flipping one of them for a 1st line goal scorer when the top scoring  talent on your team is Thomas Tatar would seem like a shrewd move to me.  

Boeser isn’t an ideal fit. Montreal is a quick skating team. Boeser doesn’t have the foot speed to really mesh. Regardless. A one for one trade might work. But there is no way Boeser is worth substantially more than Domi. Especially when you factor in Boeser’s injury history. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Boeser isn’t an ideal fit. Montreal is a quick skating team. Boeser doesn’t have the foot speed to really mesh. Regardless. A one for one trade might work. But there is no way Boeser is worth substantially more than Domi. Especially when you factor in Boeser’s injury history. 

Agree to disagree anyway no biggie. I'm in no rush to move Brock for another FWD. Brock has 75g in 197 gp,  Domi 81g in 375gp last time I checked Goals were worth more than apples.  

18 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Straight across maybe.  It certainly wouldn’t be Domi + 16 OA 

Here's the article FWIW:

https://blackhawkup.com/2020/09/05/blackhawks-rfa-max-domi-traded-brandon-saad/

And their reasoning:

Saad has 1-year left on his $6,000,000 AAV deal. Trading Saad opens up cap space while bringing back a solid player that will fill his role for the team.

In 71-games this past season, Domi scored 17-goals and had 27-assists for 44-points. In return, Saad had 21-goals and 12-assists in 58-games totaling out to 33-points on the season. They’re pretty even, with Domi edging him out just because of the extra games played.

Domi will be cheaper than Saad, with every dollar mattering to this team. Even if they don’t come to terms with Domi, the Hawks could trade him away for picks or let him go and receive draft capital as compensation. That’s an easy way to write off $6,000,000 for the 2021 NHL season.

A Max Domi for Matt Dumba type deal. Some rumors/speculation on Twitter that Minnie is shopping Dumba. They want a center. Domi wants to play center and is pretty decent in the faceoff dot. 48% isn't world changing but it's decent. In opposite conferences. I imagine Montreal isn't swimming in top 4 RD outside of Weber. Depends on how highly Minnie may value Domi's ability to play center. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

A Max Domi for Matt Dumba type deal. Some rumors/speculation on Twitter that Minnie is shopping Dumba. They want a center. Domi wants to play center and is pretty decent in the faceoff dot. 48% isn't world changing but it's decent. In opposite conferences. I imagine Montreal isn't swimming in top 4 RD outside of Weber. Depends on how highly Minnie may value Domi's ability to play center. 

Petry is RHD too. RHD is probably the position they have the least need 

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Sounds like Danault would be more the type of C Guerin is looking for and Montreal would likely prefer Brodin but the Wild are looking to extend him.   Montreal already have Weber/Petry on RD. 

Guerin on a recent podcast says there are no C1 available by trade.  He says it's a less of an issue for them because their line drivers are on the wings so they don't necessarily need playmaking Cs. He is looking for a smart C that is solid defensively and gives Bergeron as example.  He explains that Fiala needs the puck all the time and it wouldn't work with a centre that also wants the puck.

Edited by mll

On 8/24/2020 at 3:50 PM, qwijibo said:

Domi has put up more points more consistently throughout his career. His best season is 72 points compared to Virtanen’s 36.  Domi has a lot more value. 

as far as his down season goes. He centred a line with Shaw last year and had really good chemistry. They used him primarily as a winger this year with a variety of lesser players.  Trading for him and then using him as a winger doesn’t make a lot of sense. 

Virtanen, Stecher, prospect, Eriksson for Domi. they have the cap space - eriksson works his ass off. he might thrive in their system lol.

2 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Virtanen, Stecher, prospect, Eriksson for Domi. they have the cap space - eriksson works his ass off. he might thrive in their system lol.

That’s a ridiculously bad offer. They’re not going to waste their cap space on a bottom 6 winger. A 6/7 D and a cap dump.  Domi put up 72 points last season when he was properly utilized.  Spare parts and a cap dump isn’t going to be in the least bit enticing 

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yeah I think so too. He is who you want at 3C would Gaudette and a third with Montreal retaining some salary get we done?

hard to say, I'd guess Bergevin would want more in return. He's also an RFA so we'd have to settle on the salary on our own. Would be nice to have tho. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

hard to say, I'd guess Bergevin would want more in return. He's also an RFA so we'd have to settle on the salary on our own. Would be nice to have tho. 

I think Benning is going to be kicking himself for giving out these bad terms and AAV to free agents of the past.

Sutter is a 4 million dollar 4th line center along with Jay Beagle for 3 million a year and Roussel also for 3 million a year.

This could force them to move out Virtanen as he may have some value as a trade piece coming off a near 20 goal season. Would Philly be interested enough to part with Gostisbehere for the Big Tuna? Would be a fun trade.

The best thing for the Canucks might be if Ferland retired they could just LTIR him until his contract runs out and get some cap space that way.

He looks like a guy that Benning should have done more due diligence instead of jumping in on a long term deal for him without understanding the extent of his concussion and injury prone issues.

I think it is pretty clear the Canucks need to upgrade their depth in the bottom six and on d with guys who have some speed or size and can contribute some goals.

The problem is the Canucks are stuck with an old injury prone bottom six group.

The only quality guys they seem to have are Motte, Gaudette, Leivo and maybe MacEwen to fill out the bottom six on reasonable contracts. Motte has earned a short term extension and a pay bump. 3 years for 2.5m per would be fair enough for a quality 4th liner.

On d they need another puck mover on the third pair who can help the 2nd pp unit.

A guy like Erik Gustaffaon comes to mind who could be had at a reasonable price.

Outside of Hughes they don't have a capable offensive d man. Which is not going to cut it if they ever want to become a legit contender in a few years time.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Yeah I think so too. He is who you want at 3C would Gaudette and a third with Montreal retaining some salary get we done?

Would you trade a 25 year old C who put up 72 points last season for Gaudette and a 3rd?  Neither would Bergevin. Imagine if some team offered an equivalent package for Horvat 

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Would you trade a 25 year old C who put up 72 points last season for Gaudette and a 3rd?  Neither would Bergevin. Imagine if some team offered an equivalent package for Horvat 

Ok but do they really want to pay him 4 million plus to be their 4th line center going forward?

It seems like they don't have as much leverage.

He is coming off a down year as well.

Montreal has Suzuki,Kotkaniemi, and Danualt already.

Would they instead try to trade Domi for Gostisbehere since both are coming off down years?

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I think Benning is going to be kicking himself for giving out these bad terms and AAV to free agents of the past.

Sutter is a 4 million dollar 4th line center along with Jay Beagle for 3 million a year and Roussel also for 3 million a year.

This could force them to move out Virtanen as he may have some value as a trade piece coming off a near 20 goal season. Would Philly be interested enough to part with Gostisbehere for the Big Tuna? Would be a fun trade.

The best thing for the Canucks might be if Ferland retired they could just LTIR him until his contract runs out and get some cap space that way.

He looks like a guy that Benning should have done more due diligence instead of jumping in on a long term deal for him without understanding the extent of his concussion and injury prone issues.

I think it is pretty clear the Canucks need to upgrade their depth in the bottom six and on d with guys who have some speed or size and can contribute some goals.

The problem is the Canucks are stuck with an old injury prone bottom six group.

The only quality guys they seem to have are Motte, Gaudette, Leivo and maybe MacEwen to fill out the bottom six on reasonable contracts. Motte has earned a short term extension and a pay bump. 3 years for 2.5m per would be fair enough for a quality 4th liner.

On d they need another puck mover on the third pair who can help the 2nd pp unit.

A guy like Erik Gustaffaon comes to mind who could be had at a reasonable price.

Outside of Hughes they don't have a capable offensive d man. Which is not going to cut it if they ever want to become a legit contender in a few years time.

I'd argue the only "bad" one is Loui, the others are overpaid but not as grossly, and they did earn their bucks this playoffs. 

If Jim can shed Loui next week we can keep the essential pieces together, and maybe trade Jake for a d upgrade like you're suggesting. 

32 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ok but do they really want to pay him 4 million plus to be their 4th line center going forward?

It seems like they don't have as much leverage.

He is coming off a down year as well.

Montreal has Suzuki,Kotkaniemi, and Danualt already.

Would they instead try to trade Domi for Gostisbehere since both are coming off down years?

They have other options than playing him as a 4C. He’s better as a C but they can play him on the wing in the top 6. If they move him it’ll be to address a need. (Like a scoring top 6 wing).  They don’t need to trade him. They certainly don’t need to accept spare parts for him.