The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Demko + Juolevi as sweeteners to move Eriksson (zero retention)

21 minutes ago, footsy said:

If Demko is good we let Marky go. That's life when the cup is the goal.     IF.

And if he isn't (and honestly I would be surprised if he is by the end of next year), you lose Demko in the expansion draft with Dipietro to replace.  Sucks losing Demko, but you have to lose somebody in the expansion draft so it might as well be a position you have a lot of depth in.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And if he isn't (and honestly I would be surprised if he is by the end of next year), you lose Demko in the expansion draft with Dipietro to replace.  Sucks losing Demko, but you have to lose somebody in the expansion draft so it might as well be a position you have a lot of depth in.

We can't keep Demko if Marky is gone?  If Demko is not good we wont lose him in the draft.

Edited by footsy

1 minute ago, footsy said:

We can't keep Demko if Marky is gone?  

Of course, I'm assuming Markstrom resigns a multiyear deal this fall and both are on the team at the time of the expansion draft.  At which point, only one would be protected.

Just now, Wilbur said:

Of course, I'm assuming Markstrom resigns a multiyear deal this fall and both are on the team at the time of the expansion draft.  At which point, only one would be protected.

Oh. I'm saying let Marky go if we really believe Demko is good. 

20 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Do you think Benning would still be interested in PK Subban? What about something like...

Demko, Eriksson and a 2021 2nd round pick for PK Subban 50% retained. PK had a rough year in NJ putting up 18 points in 68 games. I do think he has a good chance to recover some of his game. Would make PK Subban 4.5 million on the cap for the next two seasons and at that cap would be pretty good value.

You are just joking right? Why would NJ add Eriksson(6mil) and retain Subban (4.5mil) for a total of 10.5mil for you? Not to mention Demko's around another 3 mil cap hit. 

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Toffoli - lost to UFA

Ferland - retires

Tanev - lost to UFA

12.5 million saved

Next year

Sutter  - lost to UFA

Pearson lost to UFA

Edler lost to UFA

Benn lost to UFA

16   mil. saved. 

Year 3

Beagle

Ruossel

Errickson

12 million

40 million clearing off over the next 3 years...

So, we're losing our second best defense man and two top six wingers this year? You don't think we should replace them in any way?

24 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

You are just joking right? Why would NJ add Eriksson(6mil) and retain Subban (4.5mil) for a total of 10.5mil for you? Not to mention Demko's around another 3 mil cap hit. 

Eriksson is 6 mil on the cap but only gets paid 2 million a year of actual dollars. They have tons of cap space to accommodate such a deal. In this scenario while it’s more in cap it’s actually cheaper for the owner including Demko’s actual 1 mill cap hit. If they don’t believe in Subban then they’re tossing a believed headache at the price of an over capped not overrated bottom 6 player in Eriksson,  a 24 year old what could be a #1 goalie in Demko and a 2nd round pick.

Edited by flickyoursedin

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

There is no reason to trade Eriksson?    #CapCrunch

wat cap crunch we have 17 mill to sign gaudette markstrom virtanen and toffoli and a ton of cap coming off the next yr to sign hughes petey  not sure wat cap problem you speak of 

58 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Eriksson is 6 mil on the cap but only gets paid 2 million a year of actual dollars. They have tons of cap space to accommodate such a deal. In this scenario while it’s more in cap it’s actually cheaper for the owner including Demko’s actual 1 mill cap hit. If they don’t believe in Subban then they’re tossing a believed headache at the price of an over capped not overrated bottom 6 player in Eriksson,  a 24 year old what could be a #1 goalie in Demko and a 2nd round pick.

New Jersey has no use for Demko.  Blackwood has been one of the best goalies in the league once he adjusted and is a year younger than him.  Fitzgerald calls him a pillar to build around with Hischier and Hughes.  

Ownership fired Shero because the team took a step back. They were saying that they have plenty of assets that they could have traded to get better.  Fitzgerald seems to have convinced them to be more patient but probably not to the point of taking cap dumps.

At the TDL Fitzgerald was talking of using draft picks to get better.  I doubt they'd want to tie up their cap in a declining player.  

Not only the cap is flat but with the drop in revenue some teams are going to be imposed an internal cap.  It could make some unexpected players available.  NJD is probably more on the lookout for their own JT Miller.  It's going to be difficult to trade bottom of the lineup players to clear cap space, when there could be far more quality players available than usual. 

Eriksson is still owed 5M - 1M in salary for this coming season after his bonus payment + 4M his last season.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Drakrami said:

So we trade a former No.5 and No.36 pick, with years of development to get rid of Eriksson. Benning really can't be signing these UFAs like its giving out candies especially when they turn out to be huge duds like Eriksson. 

Price of having veteran leadership.  Fans have been frustrated ever since the first game of the new season when Eriksson shot the puck into our empty net. https://www.si.com/hockey/news/watch-loui-eriksson-scores-into-his-own-net#:~:text=With Matthew Tkachuk pressuring near,the season on the play.

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

wat cap crunch we have 17 mill to sign gaudette markstrom virtanen and toffoli and a ton of cap coming off the next yr to sign hughes petey  not sure wat cap problem you speak of 

So, bye bye Tanev?  I also notice that you haven’t qualified/re-signed Stecher in your scenario.

Next year’s defense:

Edler-Rafferty 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Wouldn’t you agree that the above defense is fairly mediocre?   And that’s at full health!   What happens if there’s one injury?

2 hours ago, canuktravella said:

A bit over 15M.   There's a bonus overage of at least 1.7M that will carry over into next season's cap.

Pettersson and Hughes will still be on their ELCs next season and they will likely again reach their target which will also reduce the cap space available in 2021/22 if they don't have the room to cover them next season.  Pettersson continues to progress and could well hit on another 2M which would reduce the available cap space by 3.7M in 2021/22.  Rathbone, Juolevi are also performance bonus eligible.

If Ferland can't play and goes on LTIR, they can't bank cap space and it creates an automatic bonus overage.  They might also want to build in the cap space for recalls - reducing further the cap available for their active roster.

Virtanen + Gaudette + Toffoli + Tanev + Markstrom is already ~14.9M at their current cap hit.  They would be expecting a raise.  That's also without a complete roster.

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

So, bye bye Tanev?  I also notice that you haven’t qualified/re-signed Stecher in your scenario.

Next year’s defense:

Edler-Rafferty 

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

Wouldn’t you agree that the above defense is fairly mediocre?   And that’s at full health!   What happens if there’s one injury?

or they are better  time to find out 

4 hours ago, mll said:

A bit over 15M.   There's a bonus overage of at least 1.7M that will carry over into next season's cap.

Pettersson and Hughes will still be on their ELCs next season and they will likely again reach their target which will also reduce the cap space available in 2021/22 if they don't have the room to cover them next season.  Pettersson continues to progress and could well hit on another 2M which would reduce the available cap space by 3.7M in 2021/22.  Rathbone, Juolevi are also performance bonus eligible.

If Ferland can't play and goes on LTIR, they can't bank cap space and it creates an automatic bonus overage.  They might also want to build in the cap space for recalls - reducing further the cap available for their active roster.

Virtanen + Gaudette + Toffoli + Tanev + Markstrom is already ~14.9M at their current cap hit.  They would be expecting a raise.  That's also without a complete roster.

players might get traded before next yr 

pearson makes 3.75  if im benning that guys gone for picks  we can keep one of tanev or toffoli    resign virt gaud marky for sure 

1 minute ago, canuktravella said:

players might get traded before next yr 

pearson makes 3.75  if im benning that guys gone for picks  we can keep one of tanev or toffoli    resign virt gaud marky for sure 

Trading middle/bottom of the lineup players in a cap clearing trade might not be all that easy.  It's a flat cap and with the drop in revenue some teams are being imposed an internal cap. There might be more cap for cap trades - Neal for Lucic, Gudbranson for Pearson type deals.

I can see Detroit wanting Demko, given Howard is probably done there and Demko could split the starting role with Bernier. And Demko is better than anything they have in the system. 

I'd be fine with Demko+Loui to Detroit, for picks or a prospect back, since we're likely losing Demko to expansion anyway. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, footsy said:

Oh. I'm saying let Marky go if we really believe Demko is good. 

IMO, too early to tell.  Personally, I'd stick with the guy that has the proven track record (Marky) until Demko forces the Canucks to make a move but that probably won't happen until after the expansion draft.

31 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I can see Detroit wanting Demko, given Howard is probably done there and Demko could split the starting role with Bernier. And Demko is better than anything they have in the system. 

I'd be fine with Demko+Loui to Detroit, for picks or a prospect back, since we're likely losing Demko to expansion anyway. 

That was my line of thinking as well.

Demko + Eriksson to Detroit.   I’ve been told however that Demko + Eriksson isn’t enough and so that’s why I was trying to find what the “happy medium” on here was by adding Juolevi to the proposed package (although that’s probably overkill if the reactions on here are of any indication).     

Maybe Demko + Rathbone + Eriksson gets it done.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Trading middle/bottom of the lineup players in a cap clearing trade might not be all that easy.  It's a flat cap and with the drop in revenue some teams are being imposed an internal cap. There might be more cap for cap trades - Neal for Lucic, Gudbranson for Pearson type deals.

sabres need scoring and have tons of cap

14 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

That was my line of thinking as well.

Demko + Eriksson to Detroit.   I’ve been told however that Demko + Eriksson isn’t enough and so that’s why I was trying to find what the “happy medium” on here was by adding Juolevi to the proposed package (although that’s probably overkill if the reactions on here are of any indication).     

Maybe Demko + Rathbone + Eriksson gets it done.

No thats a big overpayment imo. Rathbone had better numbers than McAvoy in college - not saying he's going to be that, but there's too much potential there to shed Rathbone.

Demko should be enough. If its not, we can always paper Loui to the AHL or simply buy him out, it doesn't save anything this year but does in his final year. 

The cap crunch isn't a good situation, but we're not quite at Leafs-level red zone. 

If we must move more assets then i'd prefer its another 1st round pick than one of our main prospects. 

• Cheers 1