The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

13 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

Everyone sees things a bit different but I personally feel TT is the least of the teams need. While I agree this off-season is critical, re-signing TT and Tanev and to a lesser degree Marky, are not so important that   Benning should be fired. Marky should only be re-signed if it's 4 years or less, 5.5 and under and only if a NMC kicks in after the Seattle draft. 

Tanev has been an absolute warrior for this team but he's 31 and plays a style that is conducive to getting injured.

TT has never broken 50 points and IMO can be replaced internally. 

I hope we land OEL, if not signing Barrie or trading for Risto would be good for the right deal\price. 

Cernak would be someone I hope Benning is looking into as well.

At the end of the day and depending on OEL and whatever contracts are moved in that deal, I'm sure Benning and his staff will do what makes the most sense.

I respect the fact that Benning isn't letting emotion get in the way of business like we as fans are guilty of more often then not.

I understand your thinking, but if Toffoli signs for 5 million per over 3-4 seasons, imo that is a deal that would work well for us and our top six. Having Toffoli gave us the luxury of two talented lines and gave us one of Boeser or Toffoli to be on the second PP, making it more effective. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Armstrong trying to use the media to put pressure back on Benning.

They obviously need to move him otherwise they wouldn’t have gone this far down the road. And if OEL and his agent are serious about his deadline you better move him or be stuck with his salary for another year, maybe more.

A lot of Coyote fans think their GM is in the drivers seat, while I agree they won't give him away and some of the offers from Bruins and Nuck fans are laughable at best the facts do point to OEL being moved.

Forget the money and just look at their roster, they have a shallow prospect pool with no high picks until 2022. OEL and his 57 million dollar contract is fine if your a team that looks to be contending but the Coyotes are about to rebuild and OEL  being moved will help in that regard.   

5 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

maybe less if he thinks he can win a few more times with quinn and petey. 8.2M sounds like a nice number lol

With how he talked about his family in an interview I read.. I think unless the $$$ are huge he's going to stay in the states as close to his family as possible

12 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Well, if the OEL trade does end up dying on the vine tomorrow, at least Rutherford posted an article tonight with this tidbit:

“There are other teams interested in Pietrangelo, and after St. Louis, The Athletic has unofficially ranked his preferred destinations as such: No. 1 Vegas, No. 2 Toronto and No. 3 Florida. Vancouver and Edmonton are also believed to have expressed interest, but those are considered longshots.”

Sure, we’re considered “longshots,” but it’s something. ;) 

i know it may not be realistic but id love to get this guy here.  Forget OEL.  This guy is big right shot D man who does everything. Physical. puts up 50 points, can pass, can skate.  He would have a Chara-ish impact on this franchise.  Worth letting Marky and Tanev walk because with this guy back there  you dont need a guy standing on his head every night in net.

I know, I know, its just a dream.

2 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I understand your thinking, but if Toffoli signs for 5 million per over 3-4 seasons, imo that is a deal that would work well for us and our top six. Having Toffoli gave us the luxury of two talented lines and gave us one of Boeser or Toffoli to be on the second PP, making it more effective. 

He does make our top six better no doubt but I guess I'm thinking that money could be used on improving the defense. My way does carry a risk since Podz, Hogs might not become top six players and Jake,  Ferland or Leivo might not work out either. 

If we do land OEL or another top-end D, I would hope that at least 2 of the above mentioned could replace TT and then Pearson the following season.

3 minutes ago, Alienhuggyflow said:

A lot of Coyote fans think their GM is in the drivers seat, while I agree they won't give him away and some of the offers from Bruins and Nuck fans are laughable at best the facts do point to OEL being moved.

Forget the money and just look at their roster, they have a shallow prospect pool with no high picks until 2022. OEL and his 57 million dollar contract is fine if your a team that looks to be contending but the Coyotes are about to rebuild and OEL  being moved will help in that regard.   

It would for sure make sense for them to move him.  I just really hope that Benning doesn't go for it.  It would ruin our internal cap structure (yes, yes, insert Loui joke here).  

Bo, Brock and JT Miller are all making 5 million plus...   it's going to be a lot easier to go to Elias and Quinn next year and get them back in for 7 million on a bridge deal if you don't have OEL raking in 8.25 on your roster.  

All the successful franchises like Tampa, Boston and St Louis have their own internal cap allocation and we should follow trend. 

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Nobody knows exactly who is in the offer Benning made 

LE also had to submit a 15 team list so JB knows exactly who he can trade him too

LE stated before, he wouldn’t retire and he wants to continue playing as he still loves playing. 
If he went to Az, he’d get to play. Surely that would be enough incentive for him to add Az to his 15 team list, if they aren’t already on it. 

• Like 1

Just now, spook007 said:

LE stated before, he wouldn’t retire and he wants to continue playing as he still loves playing. 
If he went to Az, he’d get to play. Surely that would be enough incentive for him to add Az to his 15 team list, if they aren’t already on it. 

Stop it!  You're making me flip flop on this whole deal.  Surely nobody in their right mind would take Loui.  Don't get my hopes up!  It would still be a really crappy deal in two years and for another five years.  

OEL is good, but he's the 5th highest paid d-man in the league, and salaries are only going to come down. 

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It would for sure make sense for them to move him.  I just really hope that Benning doesn't go for it.  It would ruin our internal cap structure (yes, yes, insert Loui joke here).  

Bo, Brock and JT Miller are all making 5 million plus...   it's going to be a lot easier to go to Elias and Quinn next year and get them back in for 7 million on a bridge deal if you don't have OEL raking in 8.25 on your roster.  

All the successful franchises like Tampa, Boston and St Louis have their own internal cap allocation and we should follow trend. 

I totally agree, and if we do land OEL the money going out has to be close to what is coming in. Then going forward until the cap goes up and if Ferland isn't on LTIR,  there's gonna be some corners being cut. But I do think with the amount of cap coming off over the next few seasons and the amount of ELCs we could have it's doable. 

23 minutes ago, KKnight said:

No way i would sign that. Love Marky, but not 7 years of term love. 

How could an offer for a player still employed by Vancouver be factual? Nevermind the fact that they have Costco making 4.5 million and less cap space then we have. 

Either way your right tho, that term and more $ then Lehner to boot? They can have him.

12 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Why does everyone want this guy?  He’s going to be making 8mill for the next 7 years !

unless Arizona takes on 2-3 mill of that.  

Because he is an absolute stud and makes us a million times better on the back end.

Also the money is not an issue if they take back some bad contracts.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Stop it!  You're making me flip flop on this whole deal.  Surely nobody in their right mind would take Loui.  Don't get my hopes up!  It would still be a really crappy deal in two years and for another five years.  

OEL is good, but he's the 5th highest paid d-man in the league, and salaries are only going to come down. 

To be honest, I’m on the fence with this deal. 
Not really sure, what to think... OEL would look awesome on our back end, which need upgraded, but at the same time, question is, if he is the upgrade needed. 

I could live with his price tag if he doesn’t end up as dead cap like LE. 
Its hard to build a competetive team, with LE, Spooner, Baertschi and Luongo all eating a lot of cap... and the thought of OEL becoming the next Eriksson has me slightly concerned, but not so much I wouldn’t like to see him here. 
But I leave the planning to Benning and co. As long as we get better, I’m good. 

Edited by spook007

21 minutes ago, sassbs said:

Why does everyone want this guy?  He’s going to be making 8mill for the next 7 years !

unless Arizona takes on 2-3 mill of that.  

Good Defenseman and would be great for the next 1-3 years imo but worry about him after that. Being stuck with that cap is going to be a living hell with his no trade clause. 

Imagine having to say to Hughes, Elias, Brock, Bo and company,  Sorry we can't offer you the money your worth on your next contract because we tied up 8.5 million in OEL. I know you guys are young, great players entering your prime but we decided to give it to a 30 year old defenseman whose production is starting to decline.

• Like 1