The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

On 7/13/2021 at 4:08 PM, wallstreetamigo said:

The whole point was that Benning routinely gets bent over in any negotiations, whether that is trades, re-signings, or ufa signings (and sorry but the litany if examples makes it irrefutable at this point).

Hey again mods, I get warned yet this poster and Canuck hater uses sexual reference in his posts to deliver a troll blow, and I get in $hit for trying to get these guys to go away….. hmmmmm

This is too much 

5 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Funny how that trade would open up 10 mill in cap space lol

They would be taking on a total of 36 million in cap.

18 mill of that would come off the books next year.

Also LE has already been paid his signing bonus so his actual sallary would be minimal.

Overall it saves them 13.5m cap in the long term as well as 16.5m actual dollars.

27 minutes ago, babalu said:

They would be taking on a total of 36 million in cap.

18 mill of that would come off the books next year.

Also LE has already been paid his signing bonus so his actual sallary would be minimal.

Overall it saves them 13.5m cap in the long term as well as 16.5m actual dollars.

They would be way over the cap tho lol

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

yes, OEL's contracts sucks, but if ARI is willing to eat 50% or even 25%, it suddenly doesn't seem so bad. He produces. 6' 2" 200 and he just turned 30 last week. He still has 5 good years of hockey left, and if he's paired with Hughes? His production might even increase. He could use a fresh start I'm sure, play in a real market.

To ARI - Schmidt and 5th

To VAN - OEL (25% retained - VAN paying him around $6.5)

Schmidt has 4 years left to his deal and retaining 25% on OEL would be more than Schmidt's cap for the next 4 seasons.  Doubt it's what Arizona is looking for.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

They would be way over the cap tho lol

According to capfriendly they would be around 60m if they took on those contacts and dumped OEL.

Not too sure who they still need to sign but they would be getting some guys who can still potentially play. They do seem to be a team that is taking cap dumps.

Not saying it is likely to happen but OEL is a cap dump. If we are taking his contract at 8.25 for 6 years I personally wouldn't do it unless they are taking our short term cap dumps.

Edited by babalu

44 minutes ago, babalu said:

According to capfriendly they would be around 60m if they took on those contacts and dumped OEL.

Not too sure who they still need to sign but they would be getting some guys who can still potentially play. They do seem to be a team that is taking cap dumps.

Not saying it is likely to happen but OEL is a cap dump. If we are taking his contract at 8.25 for 6 years I personally wouldn't do it unless they are taking our short term cap dumps.

lol uhh..... but.... why would we want to deal with Ekman-Larsson long term at full cost? 

Holtby, Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and Luongo's recapture are all gone next season. Surely we could just wait. 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Schmidt has 4 years left to his deal and retaining 25% on OEL would be more than Schmidt's cap for the next 4 seasons.  Doubt it's what Arizona is looking for.

I don’t know that it is what they are looking for but they don’t care terribly about the cap since they work on an internal budget that is well below the cap ceiling.

$50 million in real dollars are owed to OEL and $20.8 million to Schmidt.

At 25% retained they still save between $16-17 million real cash just swapping those two players.

That isn’t nothing…

41 minutes ago, TmanVan said:

lol uhh..... but.... why would we want to deal with Ekman-Larsson long term at full cost? 

Holtby, Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, and Luongo's recapture are all gone next season. Surely we could just wait. 

For some, the taught of a (pre retirement contract) OEL playing D with the Canucks is just to enticing.   Hopefully  JB doesn't fall in love with the idea and takes on that disastrous contract.

They've still got a lot of cap space, now have Ghost who could replace OEL's minutes to an extent, and who knows, maybe they want more draft picks?

I doubt many teams want to retain 50% of a salary but 25% happens sometimes...

Would a 2nd round pick this year (high 2nd) + Chatfield + Holtby/Lockwood (I'd say no to Lockwood though) do the job?

OEL - Hamonic

Hughes - Myers

Rathbone - Schmidt

Juolevi

No point trading Schmidt for OEL, their caps would pretty much be similar and as players there may not be much difference next season (OEL one year older and slower, Schmidt one year more comfortable with this team).

Value-wise I worry about OEL slowing down but if we don't have to give up too much I'd do it. Current asking price for Ristolainen is a 2nd + prospect so OEL really shouldn't be too much, plus they only have Keumper under contract so could use a goalie...