The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

Another topic not being discussed in this debate:

How important is Bo Horvat to our aspirations of ending this 50 year Cup drought?  Because he has three years left on that deal at which point a decision will have to be made on where he’s at as age 28/29 and where our only powerforward is at as age 30.

Realistically we only have a 3-5 year window before Bo starts producing at an elite third line centre as opposed to borderline 1st line centre and we have to make a decision on how much we can afford to pay Miller.  We could be in a position whereby we need an entire 2nd line.

Meanwhile we’ll be happy that we didn’t take a shot at the Cup with a legit Norris calibre top-4 because we’ll at least have cap room to... ?

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Is JB going all in?

Get OEL and AP!!!!!

Hughes AP

OEL Meyers

Edler Benn 

OJ Rafferty 

Lol.

:P

I doubt AP is going to sign early in free agency. Him and his agent are likely going to try and start a bidding war.

Waste of time going after a player you have low odds of signing. We would just miss out on more realistic trades or signings waiting around.

1 hour ago, Robert Long said:

Out:

Sutter 4.375

Loui in Utica 1.075

In:

OEL 8.25

+2.8 mil in. Its very doable. 

Not exactly. You have to replace at least one of those bodies. Even on an ELC, your looking at adding another $900k+/-. So you're now up to $3.7m.

It also doesn't account for the extra half decade+ of term.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Not exactly. You have to replace at least one of those bodies. Even on an ELC, your looking at adding another $900k+/-. So you're now up to $3.7m.

It also doesn't account for the extra half decade+ of term.

We need a D man that can play top 4 minutes in that half decade though.

We don’t have much in the pipeline and Edler ain’t getting any younger. Not to mention we might lose Tanev to free agency.

This team will be desperate for D in the next few years. Might as well take advantage of a cash strapped team that has a player that wants to come here. Not likely gonna get a better opportunity than this to acquire a franchise D man. And Cernak is not the answer for everyone hyping him.

• Wat 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

We need a D man that can play top 4 minutes in that half decade though.

We don’t have much in the pipeline and Edler ain’t getting any younger. Not to mention we might lose Tanev to free agency.

This team will be desperate for D in the next few years. Might as well take advantage of a cash strapped team that has a player that wants to come here. Not likely gonna get a better opportunity than this to acquire a franchise D man. And Cernak is not the answer for everyone hyping him.

Sounds more like they're trying to take advantage of us.  So no.

Walk away, JB.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

We didn’t accumulate enough draft picks during the “rebuild” years for this to be a decade long window like Tampa opened.  Even if we had had years of drafting with six picks in the first three rounds, there’s no guarantee our scouts would’ve grabbed the gems like Brayden Point and it’s pointless to debate that route now because this is where we’re at.  We’re not picking in the top-10 anymore.  Those days are over for the next five years at least so we need to maximize Bo Horvat’s prime years before we waste them away and that should be the focus.

4 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

We didn’t accumulate enough draft picks during the “rebuild” years for this to be a decade long window like Tampa opened.  Even if we had had years of drafting with six picks in the first three rounds, there’s no guarantee our scouts would’ve grabbed the gems like Brayden Point and it’s pointless to debate that route now because this is where we’re at.  We’re not picking in the top-10 anymore.  Those days are over for the next five years at least so we need to maximize Bo Horvat’s prime years before we waste them away and that should be the focus.

Tampa wasn’t in a rebuild when they drafted their current young guys like Point.

Edited by DeNiro

10 minutes ago, Millerdraft said:

Another topic not being discussed in this debate:

How important is Bo Horvat to our aspirations of ending this 50 year Cup drought?  Because he has three years left on that deal at which point a decision will have to be made on where he’s at as age 28/29 and where our only powerforward is at as age 30.

Realistically we only have a 3-5 year window before Bo starts producing at an elite third line centre as opposed to borderline 1st line centre and we have to make a decision on how much we can afford to pay Miller.  We could be in a position whereby we need an entire 2nd line.

Meanwhile we’ll be happy that we didn’t take a shot at the Cup with a legit Norris calibre top-4 because we’ll at least have cap room to... ?

I don’t think it’s reasonable to assume a 28 year old Horvat will start declining. I think Horvat more realistically has 6-8 years before his game will start to slow down. A lot of players, especially forwards, play well into their early 30s before slowing down. I think the real question surrounding Horvat is can we get him wingers that he can play at an elite level with. Horvat has been an awesome player for us but there’s just never any consistency with our 2nd line. He doesn’t seem to flow that great with Boeser and we didn’t see enough of him and Toffoli to really know if they can do good things over a full year. Pearson is an ok line mate for him but also very inconsistent. The real question is will he have good chemistry with Hoglander or Podkolzin? Or both. That’s my concern with Horvat. We know Miller and Petey are great together. Brock fits well on their wing most of the time. Toffoli certainly showed flashes. I worry that the way Horvat plays is just not beneficial for a lot of other top 6 forwards. 

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

why give up anything for OEL when we can get Pietreangelo for nothing? so where does ur magical 10mil worth of salary cap space come from? just go up to Eriksson Baertschi and everyone else that are dead cap and tell them to go retire coz no one wants you and we won't give up assets to get rid of you?

Right, we cant sign Peterangelo, and neither can we sign OEL unless someone takes our anchors in return. Coyotes give us something to take OEL's contract off their hands. I agree with that. I already said if they take Eriksson maybe we take OEL.

Edited by hudsonkid

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Then take a step back.  If Boston wants to overpay, then so be it.  There are other options to explore like Alex Pieterangelo, Cernak and circling back to Tanev if the ask is not commensurate with the restrictive position they’re in due to the NMC.  

Arizona finds itself where if the Canucks and Bruins land alternatives?  Another year ahead in an even further cap strapped league?  The price is only going to go down with all those factors restricting trade partners.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

OEL is also getting a lot of hate too lol. Looks pretty divided. 

Edler had never gotten the praise he deserves imo. Problem is before Hughes he was always relied on as the no.1 Dman. When he’s probably a 2 or 3. Easy target 

I was hoping to see OJ groomed to take over Eddies place but in a true top 4 instead of a no 1 guy but we will see how the OEL thing goes 

I don't think the hate is towards him as a player though. It more towards his contract and the potential return.

We saw the comparable numbers though of Edler and OEL (despite Edler being older and a history of a bad back). If Edler is a "2 or 3", then is OEL worth paying him that contract? If so, then is Edler being massively underpaid? Another feather in Edler's cap of his value to us over these years?

Like I suggested, it's still in the realm of possibility that OJ could get groomed into Edler's role.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Someone said they heard (from a friend of a friend who know the janitor's dog) and also not to quote them on it so:  

I remember seeing it was something like a 2020 1st (obviously not going to happen), D prospect and a roster player was their ideal package.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Tampa wasn’t in a rebuild when they drafted their current young guys like Point.

Very true.  They drafted Kucherov, Hedman, Palat, Johnson, etc.  Their scouts do a great job of that and have been doing it with mid round finds.  

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Sounds more like they're trying to take advantage of us.  So no.

Walk away, JB.   

Sounds like Arizona is trying to play hardball when the ball isn’t even in their court. Fact remains Ekman-Larsson steers the ship considering his NMC. If he really only  wants to go to two teams, the ball remains in Jims court. Currently the Canucks have two legitimate top 4 defenceman and a fringe top four in Myers. Top pairing defenceman are like gold in today’s NHL and are extremely hard to come by. Hughes himself cannot guide this team to a championship and the likes of Juolevi, Rathbone, and Rafferty are complete unknowns. Sometimes rolling the dice pays off. Sometimes it doesn’t. However, Hughes is not ready to be a stalwart back there to eat minutes and be that guy to be a horse. He’s a beautiful player who plays a sexy game but can he be that minute muncher like a Doughty, Pietrangelo, or Carlson? Given his style of play and physical makeup I doubt it. He needs help. Benning wants to win and wants to win sooner than later. Defence is this teams Achilles heal and it needs to be addressed ASAP or else this team

could very well end up like Toronto. It could backfire I know, but IMO it’s a risk worth taking.