The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PROPOSAL- UFA PAT MAROON

8 minutes ago, garthsbutcher said:

Hes only 32, i think he has some gas in the tank and brings size and some jam to a team in need of it. He will cost you nothing on a 1 year deal as a UFA.

Depends on the market for him.  He just won 2 Stanley Cups in a row, while not being a superstar played an important role for both these teams.  

He's coming off 2 one year deal...I think he might be looking for a 3 years deal at least and have some stability for his last few years and settle down somewhere.  Or maybe he's ok with the 1 year gig, who knows?  But I'm not convince it's going to be that easy and that cheap signing him, could pull a Beagle and looking to cash in on those two rings.

Great idea, love it !

However b/c of the previous contract signings from years past that have accumulated up to this point, we’re at a point where the team won’t even be able to retain all of our key pending UFA’s and have bigger needs (defense and/or goalie if Marky walks due to lack of $). 

But god damn if we weren’t handicapped financially, Maroon would be the perfect player to carry the torch from Dorsett & now Ferland...sucks we can’t throw a contract his way unless JB maneuvers a way. And I wouldn’t be all that shocked if he did now that I think of it. He loves those types of guys. Maroon fits his kinda guy 110%

His career high in signing amount was $2 million per season, if he'd take around the same and for like 2 years max and with no clauses I'd consider bringing him onboard. 

What's more, he only won those cups as a depth piece (his points/ game with TB and STL in the post-season were the 2nd and 3rd lowest of any of his post-season experiences, at 0.24 and 0.27 points/ game) so he doesn't have leverage to demand big bucks, otherwise the buyer risks acquiring another Dustin Penner.  If they could flip Roussel I'd like to sign him and have him in a 3rd line role (bumped up to 1st PP as the net presence).