The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

On 4/30/2021 at 12:58 AM, canuktravella said:

we play leafs x1    def loss 

oilers x 5    we might get 1 win 

flames x 4   flames are trying to catch habs they will be playing us hard 

might get 1 win 

jets x2  jets   better team 2ls 

we might get 2 wins the rest of yr    the Canucks  will not be trying hard rest of yr. letting kids  get  sone experience 

your crazy if u think we are going 5-7 last 12  have u watched this team

I completely agree, we get two wins and that's it, and finish with 45-46 points to finish 27th. This leaves the Canucks with an 8.5% chance of winning the draft lottery and they finally will win the draft lottery. They will move the 1st overall pick to Columbus for the 5th overall and Patrick Laine. With the 5th overall the Canucks will select Luke Hughes. They will also mover Boeser to Minny for Dumba and their 2021 1st round pick. Virtanen will be moved, and Eriksson plus incentive (!st round pick obtained from Minny). Canucks pick up Adam Larson in the UFA market.

New look lines:

Laine - Petersson - Hoglander

Miller - Horvat - Podkolzin

Pearson - Motte - Lind

Highmore - Beagle - MacEwen

Q.Hughes - Dumba

Rathbone - Larson

Joulevi - Myers

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, The King said:

I completely agree, we get two wins and that's it, and finish with 45-46 points to finish 27th. This leaves the Canucks with an 8.5% chance of winning the draft lottery and they finally will win the draft lottery. They will move the 1st overall pick to Columbus for the 5th overall and Patrick Laine. With the 5th overall the Canucks will select Luke Hughes. They will also mover Boeser to Minny for Dumba and their 2021 1st round pick. Virtanen will be moved, and Eriksson plus incentive (!st round pick obtained from Minny). Canucks pick up Adam Larson in the UFA market.

New look lines:

Laine - Petersson - Hoglander

Miller - Horvat - Podkolzin

Pearson - Motte - Lind

Highmore - Beagle - MacEwen

Q.Hughes - Dumba

Rathbone - Larson

Joulevi - Myers

no thanks to larson or dumba

rather sell horvat miller myers holtby keep boeser

• RoughGame 1

18 hours ago, KKnight said:

Why couldn't we be bad next season or the one after. Had to be this draft year. I'm only keen on a few prospects and I don't know much about any else. Next season Wright, Savoie, Lambert, Miroshnichenko are very elite. 

I agree, the four players you mentioned are better than any player in this year's class. And beyond that, there's upwards of 10 players who would have to be considered in the same tier as the top handful of players for this draft - Danila Yurov, Rutger McGroarty, Simon Nemec, Elias Salomonsson, Tristan Luneau, Gleb Trikozov. Watch out for Trikozov in particular; on pure natural abilities he looks like a future NHL gamebreaker - reminds me a lot of Marian Hossa - but he has major issues with decision-making, forcing plays, trying to do too much. Could be mostly just over-confidence, and if he can settle it down he'll be either a top five pick or the steal of the draft.

Anyways, I doubt the 2021 draft will be as bad as some people think. I guess I'm not sure quite how bad people think it is, but seems that some are exaggerating it. There will be very good players, even superstars, you just have to find them. If anyone keeps tabs on my posts, they may notice one thing I keep saying about players in this class - that I'm not sold on his upside. And it's true for most players in the draft. Guys Power, Guenther, Beniers, Sillinger, McTavish, Svechkov, look like safe bets to be really good NHL players, but I doubt any are franchise-altering perennial all-stars. There are a few who may potentially turn out to be that, but bring  a lot of risk - Fabian Lysell and Nikita Chibrikov could end up being superstars, but have a long way to go to handle the physical rigors of the NHL, Chaz Lucius has very curious hockey sense - he sees the game differently than most, and it's difficult to determine how that will translate to the pro game. Kent Johnson is very creative, but I have to question some of his decision-making, in some ways he reminds me of Kyle Turris. Simon Edvinsson could be an offensive superstar, but as things stand right now, he is abysmal defensively.

There are three players in the class that, in my opinion, fall somewhere in the middle - they're safe bets to be at least good NHL players, but also have at least some chance to be franchise-altering superstars - those would be William Eklund, Brandt Clarke, and Luke Hughes. I believe that the level of security that they're getting a good NHLer a team will get from a guy like Beniers, Guenther, Power, could very well make them top three picks, and a team may look at Edvinsson's upside and take him top three, but overall, Eklund, Clarke and Hughes will be tough to pass on for the top three spots.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I agree, the four players you mentioned are better than any player in this year's class. And beyond that, there's upwards of 10 players who would have to be considered in the same tier as the top handful of players for this draft - Danila Yurov, Rutger McGroarty, Simon Nemec, Elias Salomonsson, Tristan Luneau, Gleb Trikozov. Watch out for Trikozov in particular; on pure natural abilities he looks like a future NHL gamebreaker - reminds me a lot of Marian Hossa - but he has major issues with decision-making, forcing plays, trying to do too much. Could be mostly just over-confidence, and if he can settle it down he'll be either a top five pick or the steal of the draft.

Anyways, I doubt the 2021 draft will be as bad as some people think. I guess I'm not sure quite how bad people think it is, but seems that some are exaggerating it. There will be very good players, even superstars, you just have to find them. If anyone keeps tabs on my posts, they may notice one thing I keep saying about players in this class - that I'm not sold on his upside. And it's true for most players in the draft. Guys Power, Guenther, Beniers, Sillinger, McTavish, Svechkov, look like safe bets to be really good NHL players, but I doubt any are franchise-altering perennial all-stars. There are a few who may potentially turn out to be that, but bring  a lot of risk - Fabian Lysell and Nikita Chibrikov could end up being superstars, but have a long way to go to handle the physical rigors of the NHL, Chaz Lucius has very curious hockey sense - he sees the game differently than most, and it's difficult to determine how that will translate to the pro game. Kent Johnson is very creative, but I have to question some of his decision-making, in some ways he reminds me of Kyle Turris. Simon Edvinsson could be an offensive superstar, but as things stand right now, he is abysmal defensively.

There are three players in the class that, in my opinion, fall somewhere in the middle - they're safe bets to be at least good NHL players, but also have at least some chance to be franchise-altering superstars - those would be William Eklund, Brandt Clarke, and Luke Hughes. I believe that the level of security that they're getting a good NHLer a team will get from a guy like Beniers, Guenther, Power, could very well make them top three picks, and a team may look at Edvinsson's upside and take him top three, but overall, Eklund, Clarke and Hughes will be tough to pass on for the top three spots.

Dude i love drafts like this cuz putting a label on this draft as lacking can be huge mistake. Who would have thought that 2017 would actually produce all star talent like heiskennen, makar and hughes. Factor in vilardi and that draft could be killer.

As for this draft, i think you under rate power. What he did at michigan as a true freshman was super impressive. Yeah, he has some work to do the offensive side, but the way he moves right now and how closes the gaps and his stick checking reminds me of weber. 

Overall still good analysis

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Dude i love drafts like this cuz putting a label on this draft as lacking can be huge mistake. Who would have thought that 2017 would actually produce all star talent like heiskennen, makar and hughes. Factor in vilardi and that draft could be killer.

As for this draft, i think you under rate power. What he did at michigan as a true freshman was super impressive. Yeah, he has some work to do the offensive side, but the way he moves right now and how closes the gaps and his stick checking reminds me of weber. 

Meant petey not hughes. Lol

8 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

For me it’s a very tough call between Guenther and Eklund. I’m leaning more towards Guenther though. 

Eklund is more dynamic. Love guenther though. He seems to be that 60 plus point player year in and year out. 

2 minutes ago, Isam said:

Yeah, I've made the comparison between this draft and 2011 before, as it was supposed to be a really weak class, but ended up producing really good players with almost every pick in the top ten - only a bunch of those took a long time to reach their primes. 2017 is another solid comparison, in that it lacks the clear superstars at the top, but will have real good players in the top ten. I like my 2011 comparison better because I see more emphasis on the safe but limited upside players - I think guys like Lysell, Chibrikov, Johnson and Lucius will be towards the end of or outside of the top ten.

On Power, you may be right that I'm underestimating him. I do have him at hovering at 3rd or 4th on my list right now, but I just do not see anything remotely resembling the upside many people say they see. I've heard Hedman, Pronger, Weber, but I can't help but see Dougie Hamilton. Reminds me a lot of Byfield last year, when I kept seeing comparisons to Malkin, which was absolutely astounding to me. I saw something closer to Eric Staal, Mark Scheifele, maybe even Mike Modano, and that's pretty high praise and something to be excited about, but Malkin? Come on.

I have to admit, I haven't seen Power as much as some of the other players in this draft (four full viewings to be honest), but for me it's actually been the offense that has impressed me. The defensive side is what I'm more worried about. He's really fast for a big man when he gets going, but I have major concerns about his agility and quickness. When he has to turn quickly or stop and start - I've seen him get beat to the outside and on retrievals way too much. And he uses his size and reach quite well, but I don't see anything resembling the physicality of a Shea Weber, forget about Chris Pronger.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah, I've made the comparison between this draft and 2011 before, as it was supposed to be a really weak class, but ended up producing really good players with almost every pick in the top ten - only a bunch of those took a long time to reach their primes. 2017 is another solid comparison, in that it lacks the clear superstars at the top, but will have real good players in the top ten. I like my 2011 comparison better because I see more emphasis on the safe but limited upside players - I think guys like Lysell, Chibrikov, Johnson and Lucius will be towards the end of or outside of the top ten.

On Power, you may be right that I'm underestimating him. I do have him at hovering at 3rd or 4th on my list right now, but I just do not see anything remotely resembling the upside many people say they see. I've heard Hedman, Pronger, Weber, but I can't help but see Dougie Hamilton. Reminds me a lot of Byfield last year, when I kept seeing comparisons to Malkin, which was absolutely astounding to me. I saw something closer to Eric Staal, Mark Scheifele, maybe even Mike Modano, and that's pretty high praise and something to be excited about, but Malkin? Come on.

I have to admit, I haven't seen Power as much as some of the other players in this draft (four full viewings to be honest), but for me it's actually been the offense that has impressed me. The defensive side is what I'm more worried about. He's really fast for a big man when he gets going, but I have major concerns about his agility and quickness. When he has to turn quickly or stop and start - I've seen him get beat to the outside and on retrievals way too much. And he uses his size and reach quite well, but I don't see anything resembling the physicality of a Shea Weber, forget about Chris Pronger.

I do. How he closes the gap is astounding for one that young and his stick checking is insane. In todays game you need that more then the over agressive game of a pronger. His agility and quickness are great, but he does need to fix a couple hitches in his skating. I seem him as a low suter floor. Kid is too smart and too good not be drafted in the top three. If he falls then it is scouts having an extra year just to nitpick. I would be ecstatic if we get him

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Is New Jersey allowed to be in lottery?

didnt the nhl make a rule about winning the lottery twice in 5 yrs being unable to get a lotto spot.

some pro draft rankings have Luke at 1 overall.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/draft-center/2021/fchockey

i got a feeling the Ducks will get Luke.

Yeah. Rules were made after their picks.

I can see the ducks ducks taking eklund or beniers. They already got drysdale

• Cheers 1

I feel really comfortable going into a draft that has a lot of Swedes near the top.  I got faith in our Swedish scouts/ties. 

I am having a difficult time gauging how some these prospects stack up with such limited YouTube footage available on some of these guys. There is one guy I like that is projected as a late 2nd or 3rd round player and I can't find any recent footage even tho he's recently played. This is where a membership to some video streaming sites would be useful lol

17 hours ago, The King said:

They will move the 1st overall pick to Columbus for the 5th overall and Patrick Laine.

I can't see this happening for a couple of reasons.

1. Laine disrespected the Canucks a couple of years ago, they wont want to bring in his drama

2. VAN has never had a #1, and I don't think there's any way they trade it.

I do think there's a pretty good chance they get the 1st though. I have no idea who they'd take. Brandt Clarke?  

How can we add another late 1st and get Scott Morrow?

I still think landing Brandt Clarke changes everything for our D corps, if we can get him. 
But two highly-skilled rightshot defencemen with good size are better than one!

49 minutes ago, nergish said:

How can we add another late 1st and get Scott Morrow?

I still think landing Brandt Clarke changes everything for our D corps, if we can get him. 
But two highly-skilled rightshot defencemen with good size are better than one!

Man. I am gun shy on prospects who just play high school hockey. No ushl games is kind of a red flag for me.

What's the deal with that Finland line? I haven't had a chance to watch them yet. But I've learned over the years that that kind of production has to be taken seriously at a major international tournament. 1.5 p/g doesn't always mean anything, but history has shown us that if an entire line keeps up at upwards of 2 p/g for the whole tournament, at least one of them has to be legit, probably two. With Yakupov-Grigorenko-Kucherov, everyone thought Kucherov was the tag-along - wow did that ever make people look stupid. At U20s with Puljujarvi-Aho-Laine, everyone figured Aho was along for the ride. Tkachuk-Matthews-Bracco. Keller-Brown-Yamamoto. Stuetzle-Elias-Peterka.