The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

29 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Are any of the players in this draft likely to step into an NHL lineup right away?  

Assuming Power and Beniers might be but anybody else?

A year or two away for most

• Cheers 1

I've realized that Michigan is gonna be an absolute powerhouse next season. If this years crop all come back, they will have Power, Beniers, Johnson, Hughes, Samoskevich, Pastujov, Brisson, Beecher, and Duke as 1st and 2nd rounders. I'm not too familiar with NCAA rosters, but surely that's gotta be one of, if not the, strongest lineup. Should help with the development of these young guys.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Is there even one player in this draft that doesn’t have multiple red flags?  Maybe Beniers is the only one?  

Imho, I think that's actually the beauty with picking at number 9 - no pressure to over-reach. In most drafts I've seen, if you're picking top 4 or 5, you're reasonably expecting either a first-line forward or a 1D. Basically, high-floor, high-ceiling kinda guys. When you get from 6 to 15, you're hoping that they turn out to be those players but are happy if they're a second-line forward or a 3C or a top-4 D-man. In this draft, whoever gets picked at numbers 1 to 5 will be tough to compare with players picked at that spot in prior years. I mean, some draft pundits are saying that Beniers compares favourably with Bo Horvat (i.e., 2C). At times, Powers looks like he can be Ekblad-like, but other times, he just does not dominate. Other than the larger size, Quinn looked more dominant than Luke did and Quinn had stronger competition. If Clarke wasn't a RHD, would he be looked upon this high. Johnson is skinny. But imho, any of those players we've been mentioning at number 9 this year can be favorably compared with other number 9 players from other draft years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Are any of the players in this draft likely to step into an NHL lineup right away?  

Assuming Power and Beniers might be but anybody else?

If anyone surprises, it will be the overseas guys. Anyone who stayed in North America needs to catch up in development.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If anyone surprises, it will be the overseas guys. Anyone who stayed in North America needs to catch up in development.

Clarke, Eklund, Lysell, Edvinsson, Wallstedt, Svechkov, Lambos, McTavish, Raty

Edited by NUCKER67

9 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Looks like Button knocked Johnson and McTavish out of the Top 10, and putting L'Heureux and Svechkov there instead.

No love for Lysell and Raty either.

Wasn't there an issue with L'Heureux's attitude? Svechkov doesn't look Top 6 to me. 

This draft will have some interesting picks that some of us didn't see coming.

The Canucks need a top level shut down center. Svechkov is seen as the best defensive center in this draft class . He is not without offense but the defensive side of his game is exceptional. 

Don't be shocked if he goes to Detroit or us.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Could be a sneaky good buy low candidate. Always liked Mittelstadts skill. He did produce more last season!

You are not getting mittelstat. Granato did a hell of a job finally reaching some of those kids. I love his coaching philosophy

33 minutes ago, appleboy said:

This draft will have some interesting picks that some of us didn't see coming.

The Canucks need a top level shut down center. Svechkov is seen as the best defensive center in this draft class . He is not without offense but the defensive side of his game is exceptional. 

Don't be shocked if he goes to Detroit or us.

He's very good defensively, and has a high hockey IQ. His stats are pretty good, not great. I've seen a comparison to Danault, and nice he can also play wing. Like a Russian Army Knife.  Decent size, how long before he can make the jump? I'll have to watch more video if I can. 

2 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I heard Casey can now do one pullup (which apparently Sam Bennett can now almost do as well).  :P

Overall watch the play. The kids improved overall under granato, especially mittlestat and dahlin. Watched alot of sabres this year, but keep believing in the narrative man. 

3 minutes ago, Isam said:

Overall watch the play. The kids improved overall under granato, especially mittlestat and dahlin. Watched alot of sabres this year, but keep believing in the narrative man. 

Man, you read that wrong - that was a joke. That's why I put the :P. I have always liked Casey and his pullup issue was due to a shoulder injury.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Man, you read that wrong - that was a joke. That's why I put the :P. I have always liked Casey and his pullup issue was due to a shoulder injury.  

Maybe an sorry man. Too much sun lol.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Isam said:

You are not getting mittelstat. Granato did a hell of a job finally reaching some of those kids. I love his coaching philosophy

Mittelstadt is far from untouchable sure he looked promising for the first time last year. It’s almost the equivalent of saying after the 2019/2020 season we wouldn’t entertain the idea of a Virtanen trade because he finally looked good. If they decide Beniers is their guy at 1rst overall they’ll have Cozens and Beniers for top 6 Center depth.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Geunther at 3!  :lol:

we take Johnson over MacT?  :lol::lol:

Jersey takes Clarke over Hughes?  :frantic:

And I thought Button struggled picking clothing.  

image.thumb.jpeg.7a212beb0c1d9ffbc8eec16488ab2d51.jpeg

Honestly all these scenarios could happen. Everybody needs right handed dmen and while NJ has Jack Hughes brother connection they also have Brandt Clarke’s brother. Brandt has a chance of being the best dman in the class. I know you don’t like wingers but there’s a chance Guenther and Johnson are both very skillful point producers. You laugh but it would be funny if all these scenarios that your scoffing at actually happen because there is a chance he’s right. There’s no home runs but all these guys are great prospects.

17 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

I've realized that Michigan is gonna be an absolute powerhouse next season. If this years crop all come back, they will have Power, Beniers, Johnson, Hughes, Samoskevich, Pastujov, Brisson, Beecher, and Duke as 1st and 2nd rounders. I'm not too familiar with NCAA rosters, but surely that's gotta be one of, if not the, strongest lineup. Should help with the development of these young guys.

Sasha Pastujov? Think he's going to Notre Dame. Brother Michael was undrafted. But I would imagine Bordeleau will be returning, that's another 2nd.

But yeah Michigan is gonna be stacked. When it comes to college hockey often fans get dazzled by flashy big name 18 and 19 year olds and then are surprised/disappointed when a team full of relatively no-name 23 year olds wins the championship. But in this case I would say Michigan has to be considered a strong championship contender, if not favorite, assuming most of those guys return.

7 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Sasha Pastujov? Think he's going to Notre Dame. Brother Michael was undrafted. But I would imagine Bordeleau will be returning, that's another 2nd.

But yeah Michigan is gonna be stacked. When it comes to college hockey often fans get dazzled by flashy big name 18 and 19 year olds and then are surprised/disappointed when a team full of relatively no-name 23 year olds wins the championship. But in this case I would say Michigan has to be considered a strong championship contender, if not favorite, assuming most of those guys return.

Ah my mistake. It is his brother Michael. I saw the last name and jumped the gun.

whats with the virtanen for mittlestadt talk...are you guys insane, not a chance in hell buffalo does that deal. Their GM just came out and said he is part of their core going forward, let alone the fact virtanen has this sexual assault allegation looming over him all but guaranteeing the Canucks buy him out if they can't terminate the contract...but hey he is worth another team's prime asset they consider a core piece, okay CDC...

• Upvote 1