The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like Wallstead has a good chance to go before we pick.  He’s closer to playing.  Don’t know if Cossa is considered that close to NHL ready?  

I mean if Cossa drops to the second round where we pick, wouldn't think the management team wouldn't consider him? 

Unless Morrow is available at 41, then I'd pick Morrow over Cossa. 

We need more RHD prospects than we do a goalie. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Because you dont need a venza candidate to win the cup. You do need a true 1d and 1c.

That's true. 

Which we have both of, right? Or would Hughes be debatable still? 

We got Pettersson as our number 1 C. 

I look at Tampa Bay, and Vasilesky (sp?) has been very good. But then again, Price is paid like a venza goalie, but he hasn't played great this series. 

11 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Because you dont need a venza candidate to win the cup. You do need a true 1d and 1c.

I dunno, I don't see Montreal having a true 1C or a true 1D and they've gone way further this season than the Canucks. Same division too. And we seen what Marky alone did for this team last season, and yes he dropped off a bit in Calgary but that's a new team with a shortened season during Covid. I wanna see how he does this season. But nonetheless a top tier goalie can carry a team very far. Arguably farther than any other singular position can.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

You know the more I hear about Johnson, the more I'm liking the young man. Local kid, seems to have a better head on his shoulders than Jake did. 

And Michigan seems like a good hockey program. They developed Hughes, and he was ready to step in when he did. I'm confident that Johnson will make strides the next 2-3 years, put on weight, and continue to excel. 

I'd love it if he became a Canuck on draft day. Could very well have our own version of Patty Kane in blue and green. 

19 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I dunno, I don't see Montreal having a true 1C or a true 1D and they've gone way further this season than the Canucks. Same division too. And we seen what Marky alone did for this team last season, and yes he dropped off a bit in Calgary but that's a new team with a shortened season during Covid. I wanna see how he does this season. But nonetheless a top tier goalie can carry a team very far. Arguably farther than any other singular position can.

Talk to me when they win the cup in a normal year.  I think we can all agree this year is far from normal. Their road through the playoffs would have been much much different. 

They likely play tampa in the first round. We see how that's going for them...

Edited by 73 Percent

27 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

That's true. 

Which we have both of, right? Or would Hughes be debatable still? 

We got Pettersson as our number 1 C. 

I look at Tampa Bay, and Vasilesky (sp?) has been very good. But then again, Price is paid like a venza goalie, but he hasn't played great this series. 

I think they can become both yeah. I see alot of the old blackhawks in this team. In a good way.

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Talk to me when they win the cup in a normal year.  I think we can all agree this year is far from normal. Their road through the playoffs would have been much much different. 

They likely play tampa in the first round. We see how that's going for them...

I mean, no position is winning the cup alone. I am just saying top tier goalies alone tend to carry teams further alone than 1Cs or 1Ds can carry alone. Look at Buffalo with Eichel. He's a 1C and they can't even sniff playoffs. What did Tavares manage in NYI? Remember last season, the managers/owners didn't want the play in's to be 1 game. Specifically cause they were afraid that Carey Price was strong enough to steal that game. That's how dangerous an elite goalie can be. They literally made the play in's multi games cause of goalies. So yes, a hot goalie alone isn't winning you a cup and you're putting words in my mouth with your "Look how it's going in the finals." Tampa is deep at literally every position. The comparison is weak at best. The fact Montreal is here with just a goalie lends itself to my point when teams like Buffalo with just a 1C can't even sniff playoffs.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I mean, no position is winning the cup alone. I am just saying top tier goalies alone tend to carry teams further alone than 1Cs or 1Ds can carry alone. Look at Buffalo with Eichel. He's a 1C and they can't even sniff playoffs. What did Tavares manage in NYI? Remember last season, the managers/owners didn't want the play in's to be 1 game. Specifically cause they were afraid that Carey Price was strong enough to steal that game. That's how dangerous an elite goalie can be. They literally made the play in's multi games cause of goalies. So yes, a hot goalie alone isn't winning you a cup and you're putting words in my mouth with your "Look how it's going in the finals." Tampa is deep at literally every position. The comparison is weak at best. The fact Montreal is here with just a goalie lends itself to my point when teams like Buffalo with just a 1C can't even sniff playoffs.

Agreed its more than just one position. There are lots of factors that play into winning the cup. Depth. luck. Grit. 

Can you answer why goalies dont hold high trade value? That's how this discussion started.

On 7/2/2021 at 5:34 PM, stanleysteamersmyl said:

Islanders did that in 2012, only Pelech made it.  Reinhart only played a few games.  I think the Canuck scouting could find more than one NHL player.   I noticed the NHL Draft Preview is on sale at the store.  Always a good read.

2012 1 4 Griffin Reinhart Canada D 37 0 2 2 26
2012 2 34 Ville Pokka Finland D
2012 3 63 Adam Pelech Canada D 247 12 49 61 78
2012 4 103 Loic Leduc Canada D
2012 5 125 Doyle Somerby United States D
2012 6 155 Jesse Graham Canada D
2012 7 185 Jake Bischoff United States D 4 0 0 0 4

IIRC they did flip Pokka for Leddy after his stock had up-ticked since the draft. So while only Pelech may have worked out from the draft class, they did get another good NHL player out of the strategy.

I wonder how the interview etc went with VAN and Eklund (I'm assuming they have met?)  Stay an extra year in Sweden, maybe teams pass. Eklund and Pettersson would be great.  Highly unlikely, but I kind of thought that about Quinn Hughes too.

12 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think they can become both yeah. I see alot of the old blackhawks in this team. In a good way.

Need to find our 'Seabrook'.

5 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Can you answer why goalies dont hold high trade value? That's how this discussion started.

1-Frequently many decent ones available via UFA.

2- Goalies are voodoo. Guy can be in Vezna conversation one year and the AHL the next. It's a weird position.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Agreed its more than just one position. There are lots of factors that play into winning the cup. Depth. luck. Grit. 

That is a good question. I would assume it likely has to do with the fact they can't play every game. What are goalies playing these days? 60ish games. Whereas before guys like Lu and Brodeur were playing 70-75+ games when healthy, which is another scary thing in regards to goalies. Health. Also, I will admit goalies after trades tend to be all over the map. Miller fell off after being traded from Buffalo to St Louis. Goalies are creatures of habit. Once they change situations things are likely to go bad. They develop really slowly, generally. So goalie prospects have very little trade value. It's harder to gauge what you have in a goalie over a more straightforward position like center and defense.

Goalies are the most volatile position, which if I am a GM has me wary of trading for one. Between health, their ability to transition systems, the fact they won't play every game even when healthy, and goalie prospects being hard to project. All makes their value lower than centers and Ds that can play every game when healthy and they are relatively interchangeable between teams.

1 hour ago, 73 Percent said:

It means goalies hold little value in trades. 

I would agree. Until they hit that elite status (like when we traded for Lou), you don’t seem to get much value when trading a goalie. I have a hard time believing a goalie will be drafted top 10, let alone 2 of them. 

• Cheers 2