The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

18 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Can you demonstrate me being "overly paranoid"?   I'm not too appreciative of statements that aren't true.  There's a difference between wanting to be proactive and being paranoid.  I'm not holed up in my house or even wearing a mask.  But I'd like people destined for quarantine to have that process already started...not "when they get there".  That just makes sense to me.

And where will they go when they get off the plane?  Since you seem to have all the answers,  I'd like to know.  You've now ruled out the outlet and Starbucks...got any other information?  

I am not buying into the fear mongering...but I don't know that there's enough "data" or factual information to say "all's well".  I'd expect that provisions to protect the general public are firmly in place.

Ok you're not paranoid.  I am sorry for generalizing your post.  It just seemed to me that you came off overly argumentative.

I don't have the all the answers nor do I care.  And you know what?  The authorities don't have to tell you every little detail.

I deleted my post...wasn't going to bother.  Don't care if the que sera crowd thinks everyone should be like them....I've never cared what others think I should do.

But that last line of yours is ridiculous:

The authorities don't have to tell you every little detail.

The authorities should be sharing all the information they have with the public.  

12 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

about the same as the corona virus, from the numbers seen, 70-80% of people who die from either are over 65. 

Just because we now have social media doesn't mean we're at higher risk of getting a disease. You're at much higher risk from the annual flu, or driving to get groceries for that matter. 

Is this supposed to be consoling?  That's where my concern lies....with my Dad, who's battled cancer, is a senior and has a weakened immune system.  

There's no displaced fear or fear mongering here...I trust in the process except the part where they state people will be quarantined on the plane "if".  There should be no if's on this journey...they should all be quarantined, period.   And that's supported by Government statements like:

For confirmed 2019-nCoV infections, reported illnesses have ranged from people with little to no symptoms to people being severely ill and dying.

So to determine who is quarantined on according to ... symptoms?   What if a person is in the "little to no" category but has it?  Woops. 

Because they're destined for quarantine and it sort of defeats the purpose if that isn't supported along the journey from start to finish and until enough time has elapsed to know "for sure".

They are "better prepared" than the past...so even experts learn on the fly.  Which I'm sure is the case with this current situation.

Just as we "prepare" for earthquakes (even though we may not have the big one in our lifetime), this deal requires some initial proactive measures until they do gather all the facts and data.  And it doesn't mean people are paranoid or fear mongering to expect that.

This is where I'm getting my information and I'm pretty sure it's more accurate than some that's out there:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

While it's very important to be up to date with the facts and take precautions, there's also A LOT of misinformation / fear mongering going on! I don't understand why some people are getting  their knickers in a knot over something that hasn't even happened?! Eg. If those people get off the plane in Vancouver, wonder the airport and start making out with other people, then you have every right to be angry, frustrated, concerned etc! Until then, go enjoy some Canucks hockey / life!!!

• Wat 1

11 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Is this supposed to be consoling?  That's where my concern lies....with my Dad, who's battled cancer, is a senior and has a weakened immune system.  

There's no displaced fear or fear mongering here...I trust in the process except the part where they state people will be quarantined on the plane "if".  There should be no if's on this journey...they should all be quarantined, period.   And that's supported by Government statements like:

So to determine who is quarantined on according to ... symptoms?   What if a person is in the "little to no" category but has it?  Woops. 

no just information. The best advice is make sure you wash your hands a lot. 

Social media is not helping here either. No one is going to let a planeload of people run around an airport if they are contagious. Its not the plane anyone needs to be worried about , its going to the mall and handling surfaces and not cleaning your hands. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no just information. The best advice is make sure you wash your hands a lot. 

Social media is not helping here either. No one is going to let a planeload of people run around an airport if they are contagious. Its not the plane anyone needs to be worried about , its going to the mall and handling surfaces and not cleaning your hands. 

I dont think you fully realize how contagious this thing is and how dangerous this virus is to children and the elderly. Most of the mortality rate info has come from China, as they struggle to keep their economy from tanking.  

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I dont think you fully realize how contagious this thing is and how dangerous this virus is to children and the elderly. Most of the mortality rate info has come from China, as they struggle to keep their economy from tanking.  

its the same level of contagion as the common cold, but its harder on people with pre-existing conditions. I'm not saying don't be careful, I'm suggesting to not be led around by false reports and people freaking out on social media with inaccurate information. 

I'm hearing the airlines are going to be in financial trouble due to cancelled flights to and from China. 

Quite possible future flights anywhere will be more expensive to recoup their losses.

Unless they get a bailout from Governments.

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its the same level of contagion as the common cold, but its harder on people with pre-existing conditions. I'm not saying don't be careful, I'm suggesting to not be led around by false reports and people freaking out on social media with inaccurate information. 

The main difference is that it is a least 20 times as deadly than the common flu, and remains active for a lot longer. 

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

The main difference is that it is a least 20 times as deadly than the common flu, and remains active for a lot longer. 

where did you get that number? the health agencies are saying this one isn't as bad as SARS.

China Virus, that's so racist!!!!

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/02/06/bc-newspaper-novel-coronavirus-headline/

'Racist', 'irresponsible': B.C. newspaper under fire for novel coronavirus-related headline

BY HANA MAE NASSAR AND ASH KELLY

Posted Feb 6, 2020 6:20 am PST

Last Updated Feb 6, 2020 at 7:27 am PST

Province-novel-coronavirus-headline-China.jpg
The cover of the Province newspaper on Thursday referred to the novel coronavirus as the 'China virus.' The word choice has been met with criticism and demands for apology. (Courtesy Twitter/Andrew Wilkinson)

SUMMARY
share.png

The Province newspaper is taking major heat for a headline that is being called 'arrogant' and 'discriminatory'

share.png

Wednesday's front-page headline referred to the illness as the 'China virus'

share.png

The Chinese consulate is now demanding an apology from the paper, saying the word choice was 'racial discrimination'

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Racist backlash against Chinese people is a growing issue as the 2019 novel coronavirus continues to spread.

Now, The Province newspaper is taking major heat from the Chinese Consulate and others for a headline that is being called “arrogant” and “discriminatory.”

Wednesday’s front-page headline referred to the illness that’s killed more than 500 people and infected thousands as the “China virus,” something many people are taking issue with.

Linda Hao told NEWS 1130 she spotted the headline in a WeChat group, adding she was livid.

“We never called the H1N1 virus the ‘American virus,’ or we didn’t call Zika the ‘Brazilian virus,’ so why are we saying coronavirus is [the] ‘China virus?'” she said. “I was very upset about it.”

Hao said she emailed editors at the paper to express how she felt, but claims she didn’t get a constructive response back and feels the lack of apology so far adds insult to injury.

This is beyond disappointing to see this sort of thing happening in British Columbia. We don’t stereotype and fear monger in the face of a health scare. We need to work together to fight the virus, not each other. Together we are so much stronger.

View image on Twitter

The story has since been amended online but not before the damage was done, insulting and upsetting many people around the region.

Since the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, which is believed to have started in Wuhan, China, incidents reflecting anti-Chinese sentiment have been reported across the country.

“There is no way that we should be treating people like this,” Hao said. “What they’re doing right now suggest that it’s OK to call it a China virus… and they’re suggesting that it’s OK to [call] names.”

“In school we call it bullying but in society, what they are doing right now, they are bullying, isolating the Chinese community.”

In Vancouver, China’s Consul General, Madame Tong Xiaoling, said in a statement it was “obvious racial discrimination” on the front page, calling it “extremely unprofessional.”

“…Which not only counters the recommendations of the World Health Organization, but also reflects this paper’s arrogance, prejudice and discrimination,”Consul General Tong Xiaoling wrote.

“This is inconsistent with the Canadian core values as ‘The Province’ has always professed, as well as journalistic ethics. We demand that ‘The Province’ immediately apologize for its mistake and stop using similar language.”

WHO says names given by those who first report

In 2015, the World Health Organization released a paper outlining best practices for naming new diseases, “with the aim to minimize unnecessary negative impact of disease names on trade, travel, tourism or animal welfare, and avoid causing offence to any cultural, social, national, regional, professional or ethnic groups.”

The paper also said in an age of social media and rapid communications “it’s important that an appropriate name disease is assigned by those who first report a new human disease.”

So far there is no official name for the virus, which is also referred to as “coronavirus”, “new coronavirus”, and “novel coronavirus” but the best practices make it clear terms like “China virus” and “Wuhan virus” can do harm.

“WHO strongly encourage scientists, national authorities, the national and international media and other stakeholders to follow the best practices set out in this document when naming a human disease. If an inappropriate name is released or used or if a disease remains unnamed, WHO, the agency responsible for global public health events, may issue an interim name for the diseases and recommend its use, so that inappropriate names do not become established.”

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/vancouver-couple-remains-stranded-in-quarantined-wuhan/ar-BBZHegD?li=AA521o&ocid=iehp

The plane will stop in Vancouver to refuel on its way to Trenton. If a passenger falls sick mid-flight, they will be moved to an isolated area of the plane and, upon landing in B.C., will be transported to a facility and isolated at Richmond Hospital.

“As the closest hospital to Vancouver International Airport, Richmond Hospital serves travellers in need of medical care,” the B.C. Centre for Disease Control said in a statement. “All hospitals in B.C. take steps to prepare for the possibility of a pandemic in accordance with the Ministry of Health’s pandemic response plans.”

There have been five cases of the novel coronavirus in Canada: three in Ontario and two in B.C.

40 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It is racist by definition. Not necessarily of the offensive kind. But very unprofessional journalism. And should be called out. 

One of the biggest errors in history is attributing the Spanish Flu to Spain. Which resulted in greater

spread of the disease due to misinformation. 

To maintain morale, wartime censors minimized early reports of illness and mortality in Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the United States.[10][11] Papers were free to report the epidemic's effects in neutral Spain (such as the grave illness of King Alfonso XIII).[12] These stories created a false impression of Spain as especially hard hit,[13] thereby giving rise to the pandemic's nickname, "Spanish flu"

Edited by Canada Hockey Place

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where did you get that number? the health agencies are saying this one isn't as bad as SARS.

550 people have died out of 28,000 infected = 2%  compared to the approximate 0.1% of the common flu. 20 times. Take into account most of the people infected have been pretty recently and the mortality rate is likely higher than that. 

Whats more alarming is out of all the people who have died or recovered from the virus (1476) 38% of them have died. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

8 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

550 people have died out of 28,000 infected = 2%  compared to the approximate 0.1% of the common flu. 20 times. Take into account most of the people infected have been pretty recently and the mortality rate is likely higher than that. 

Whats more alarming is out of all the people who have died or recovered from the virus (1476) 38% of them have died. 

38% of people who have died from the coronavirus have died?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

38% of people who have died from the coronavirus have died?

No just 38% of the people who have had this coronavirus and no longer have it, it is because they died.

"or recovered" is the key words there 

Edited by Bure_Pavel

52 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Fatality Rate (case fatality ratio or CFR) of the Wuhan Coronavirus

See full details: Wuhan Coronavirus Fatality Rate

The novel coronavirus' case fatality rate has been estimated at around 2%, in the WHO press conference held on January 29, 2020 [16] . However, it noted that, without knowing how many were infected, it was too early to be able to put a percentage on the mortality rate figure.

A prior estimate [9] had put that number at 3%. 

Fatality rate can change as a virus can mutate, according to epidemiologists.

For comparison, the case fatality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.

--

Again, yes its serious but nothing like SARS or MERS. 

You're also using north american flu death rates, not the ones globally, which is 2%. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/).

China still also has a higher mortality rate with things like the flu than other places, sadly (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/)

Edited by Jimmy McGill

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Fatality Rate (case fatality ratio or CFR) of the Wuhan Coronavirus

See full details: Wuhan Coronavirus Fatality Rate

The novel coronavirus' case fatality rate has been estimated at around 2%, in the WHO press conference held on January 29, 2020 [16] . However, it noted that, without knowing how many were infected, it was too early to be able to put a percentage on the mortality rate figure.

A prior estimate [9] had put that number at 3%. 

Fatality rate can change as a virus can mutate, according to epidemiologists.

For comparison, the case fatality rate for SARS was 10%, and for MERS 34%.

--

Again, yes its serious but nothing like SARS or MERS. 

You're also using north american flu death rates, not the ones globally, which is 2%. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/).

China still also has a higher mortality rate with things like the flu than other places, sadly (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6815659/)

Stop making so much sense.

:P

• Haha 1