The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

You can only work with the stats that are provided, which is why I never get freaked about a number till at least 1,000 people are counted as infected.

Also, age and general health of population (pre existing conditions) will skew the numbers.

I do wonder if obesity counts as a pre condition, if so the U.S. and Canada to a lesser extent is in deep trouble.

are you suggesting trump is obese ?

(i heard the stress of this crisis caused him to loose 4 ounces since yesterday)

Edited by coastal.view
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

All the best.

Spooky stuff. My brother -in-law was at the dental conference in Van that had covid. He is in isolation, he feels fine but my sister is sick. My mum in her 70's has had a upset stomach for a week, she never complains about anything so I am a bit concerned, They are all held up in the same household. My mum is spending her time working the phone to aid in scheduling emergency dental situations. 

My sister in law at the same conference, been in self isolation for the last two weeks.

• Cheers 1

Seriously guys?

Whatever means by which those numbers were accounted, let it be known that all numbers are extremely conservative.

Its much much worse than any accounted numbers. 

STAY THE F HOME AND SAVE HUMANITY

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

All the best.

Spooky stuff. My brother -in-law was at the dental conference in Van that had covid. He is in isolation, he feels fine but my sister is sick. My mum in her 70's has had a upset stomach for a week, she never complains about anything so I am a bit concerned, They are all held up in the same household. My mum is spending her time working the phone to aid in scheduling emergency dental situations. 

All Ontario dentists are on emergency only. Everything is closing in the streets. Stores are going up. 

This is economic murder.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Between 11:05am and 11:34am PDT cases worldwide jumped nearly 4,000 in 1/2 an hour.

299,897 @ 1105 hour
303,759 @ 1134 hour

Jumped probably because more testing than anything else.  Situation could actually be far worse (or better....who knows?).

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

All Ontario dentists are on emergency only. Everything is closing in the streets. Stores are going up. 

This is economic murder.

At first I thought so too, but thinking about it further, if ALL countries are going through the same thing, wouldn't the laws of supply and demand just balance out?  In essence, it's all relative?

Just now, HKSR said:

At first I thought so too, but thinking about it further, if ALL countries are going through the same thing, wouldn't the laws of supply and demand just balance out?  In essence, it's all relative?

Insurance companies, banks and law firms will profit from this.

2 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Insurance companies, banks and law firms will profit from this.

Maybe... I'd assume there'd be lots of insurance payouts too? (ie. health)

Banks are losing out on interest and deferral of payments?

Have yet to know about law and legal claims... that'll probably come later.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

On scotia bank's web site, they say that people can make deferred payments but the interest over those payments will still be added up and will be on the payments that are made in the future

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Called my landlord: deferred (not credited)

Called student loans: deferred (not credited)

Called Rogers: no surcharge but you still have to pay. They won’t disconnect you for non payments for three months; reviewable then.

Called CRA (2hr wait), the emergency fund kicks in on APR01.

Called Capital One (2hr wait) no deal.

Called Employment Insurance: couldn’t get through the phone line nor their website. They’re website is down and according to the CRA, most CRA and EI workers are no longer at work.

And those are my very small problems. I cannot imagine the litigations that will come up regarding severe income losses from small, midsize and big companies whom many will take serious hits. Even whole sectors of our global economy are getting decimated.

Are we all going to have to pay 3 to 18 months’ worth of bills in one payment? Or numerous payments at high interests? Can governments and businesses hold that long without firing the entire bunch? 

500,000 Canadians today are suddenly jobless. How about tomorrow? In another week? In a year? And a half?

Right there, there are millions of exorbitant loans, insurance claims and lawsuits and for years to come.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

I graphed the info from worldometer.  Current as of yesterday.  I started each data series with data for each country between 125-200 as a starting point.

Trajectories show USA is on pace to be 2nd worst in the world.  Surprisingly Italy isn't as bad as Spain.

Canada looks good so far.  We need to keep that flat curve going...

covid.thumb.jpg.cb233aed6e9c441eb9fced60488eb976.jpg

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Me_ said:

Isolated and work from home counts. In fact, it is the one thing we can all do right now. 

Not everyone can. Frontline medical workers especially.  I'm sure people working at grocery stores and pharmacies, even service industry workers whose place still does takeout/delivery, would like nothing more than to go home and self-isolate but its not really an option right now, hard to say you won't come in for two weeks when so many have already lost their job.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Bitter Melon said:

Not everyone can. Frontline medical workers especially.  I'm sure people working at grocery stores and pharmacies, even service industry workers whose place still does takeout/delivery, would like nothing more than to go home and self-isolate but its not really an option right now, hard to say you won't come in for two weeks when so many have already lost their job.

Makes you think who should get the real money at this time. 

Athletes? Or essential services people who put their health at risk every day of their lives...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Makes you think who should get the real money at this time. 

Athletes? Or essential services people who put their health at risk every day of their lives...

Are you proposing the NHL clubs defer the salaries of their players to doctors instead?

• Cheers 1