The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I don’t identify as one of those age groups, am I immune?

I'm reasonably sure that it doesn't matter how you identify, as much as it matter if the virus identifies you.

But I'm no doctor, so …?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I don’t identify as one of those age groups, am I immune?

Saw a big bumper sticker on a RAm truck last week "I identify as a Prius".

I think the guy just wants to use "small car" parking stalls.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Your last question is irrelevant and it's actually you putting them ahead of the others. 

We should be worried about spreading the disease to the elderly and to the vulnerable.  They should continue to stay in isolation as need be.  You can't ignore the big picture, millions of people out of work, struggling with mental illness, addiction, domestic abuse, the economy as a whole.  Are people older than the average life expectancy more important than these millions struggling with these issues I listed above?   

Lucky you are a mere poster in some forum.

Because you have the thinking patterns of a mass murderer.

Edited by Me_

4 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well duh, putting kids back in school puts them all in danger of contamination.  You too are missing the bigger picture, we can't just lock down forever because kids(who don't die) get sick.  

You refuse to answer simple questions.  Say we lock down until September, then first week of school let's say a school in Vancouver shows a break-out of like 5 students getting Covid-19 which is pretty likely, what do we do then?  Shut everything down again?  Start all over?  

YES.

What are you not getting? What is it in you that prompts everyone else to b!tch slap you in public?

You're not getting it bud. You’re just not getting it.

• Vintage 1

35 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Yeah just didn’t expect a flair up so quickly but I guess that’s just the reality with this virus right now. Hopefully it stays localized to those schools.

France is a multigenerational household society. You can bet those kids went home, hugged their parents and gave their grand parents the kids of death.

44 minutes ago, Me_ said:

You’re stretching your facts a bit bud.

If you go back and read all 813 pages of this thread, you will find that I consider facts. I also don’t abide by the rules of the day because people believe in them and that’s it.

In fact, facts are moving targets when it comes to this virus.

It wasn’t contagious. Then it was.

It spread only a few feet; then just six feet. Then studies started to show patterns in a mere conversation and what happens to big and small micro droplets. Micro droplets stay 20+ minutes suspended in the air of a room. Times how many people...

So ventilate the room because it’s not airborn.

But then the Diamond Princess was finally evacuated. No one could understand how, even with people staying in their room, they were getting infected.

17 days after the Diamond Princess was evacuated, they found Covid particles in the air duct of the ship.

Ok so it’s aerosol.

But an Italian study found that Covid is small enough that it can travel on pollution particles; Lombardi, Italy is one of the most polluted places in Europe; one of the hardest hit places in the continent.

Ok so it’s airborn.

Kids are safe though against this vile disease. 

But wait. Kids are now showing a serious blood inflammation disease and they’re getting hit in mere hours. 

The USA has 100+ Cases of kids getting sick. They are asymptomatic for weeks, not days. And when they get sick, they go from a runny nose to a ventilator in but a few hours.

Three days ago, the first kid in France died of Covid. 

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/france-reports-first-child-death-from-likely-covid-linked-illness-1.4941410

On May 12, two children in Canada were known to have it.

Two Children in Canada Have Coronavirus

Do most children with Covid have a precondition? Most yes.

But here’s the thing with humans; we ALL. have preconditions whether it is by genetic blueprint, or self-inflicted.

So before you say I’m looking at this with emotion and no facts make sure you read this thread fully.

Defending 5th is akin to defending boofing Vitamin D. But what do I know.

Oh I am not taking sides or saying I don't agree with EVERYTHING you say or you don't say I was just responding to your post to 5th.  I think I have heard some stuff on here from some posters where I agreed with them and then they post something else in which I didn't agree with them. I guess that's how discussions go. 

Yes there are some "grey" areas to this pandemic, that is a given because of how long we have known about it and studied it, but you can't ignore what has happened so far either. 

The bottom line is we have to look at this in EVERYONE's best interest and some are not going to like it because you cannot please everyone. You are right "the facts are moving" and we have to adjust and readjust as times go by.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

TBH I don’t really understand the schools opening up instead of just pushing to September, it’s almost summer anyway. And it would give you 3 additional months to get widespread testing and contact tracing in place. People keep bringing up the argument that parents can’t work unless their kids are in school but kids aren’t in school for 2 months in summer anyway.. parents still go to work during that time. 3 additional months off school isn’t gonna have a detrimental effect of these kids education, it’s really not that long and not that big a deal.

It’s not the schools. It’s not the kids.

Its the parents.

Rare are planned children.

9 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

TBH I don’t really understand the schools opening up instead of just pushing to September, it’s almost summer anyway. And it would give you 3 additional months to get widespread testing and contact tracing in place. People keep bringing up the argument that parents can’t work unless their kids are in school but kids aren’t in school for 2 months in summer anyway.. parents still go to work during that time. 3 additional months off school isn’t gonna have a detrimental effect of these kids education, it’s really not that long and not that big a deal.

I think it is for psychological reasons in getting people used to it, and probably seeing what kinds of issues pop up as well.   More of a practice or trial run.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh I'm sorry are we New Yorkers posting here? I thought we were talking about people in this Country and more specific, those that live in our own Province. My bad. ::D

New Yorkers and British Columbians are both human with the same anatomy last I checked so it does carry some weight when it comes to the potential of this virus and what age groups are susceptible.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

New Yorkers and British Columbians are both human with the same anatomy last I checked so it does carry some weight when it comes to the potential of this virus and what age groups are susceptible.

Agree but when you pick "1" American cities stats compared to our COUNTRIES stats, they are a little different. Our stats show 96-97% of the deaths are our Elderly population 60 years of age and older. Maybe that changes later on but I am not much into reading into the future or guessing at this point.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh I'm sorry are we New Yorkers posting here? I thought we were talking about people in this Country and more specific, those that live in our own Province. My bad. ::D

Fine, here is B.C.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-british-columbia-charts-1.5510000

bc death by age.svg

image.png.2f558ebbb7d5c650e9852f7e10ffb28d.png

40-49        50-59          60-69         70-79         80-89            90-

as of May 11/20

So, you were saying?                       

% of population                        blue

% of cases                                 red

% of hospitalizations              yellow

% of ICU cases                         green

% of deaths                              black      

Edited by gurn
Add color code
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, samurai said:

“There are 6.1 million people aged over 75 in the French population, 61 percent of whom are women. Among this number, 25 percent live alone, 50 percent no longer have an active friendship network and 41 percent have little or no contact with their children”

So...

75% don’t live alone

50% still have an active friendship

59% have contact with children.

Most elderly live in the home they own, with their adult children and their grand children.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

Fine, here is B.C.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/covid-19-british-columbia-charts-1.5510000

bc death by age.svg 9.01 kB · 0 downloads

image.png.2f558ebbb7d5c650e9852f7e10ffb28d.png

40-49        50-59          60-69         70-79         80-89            90-

as of May 11/20

So, you were saying?

Those likely to be hospitalized or are in real danger of this pandemic are those in our population who are 60 or over? I would sure love to be a teenager again at this moment. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Those likely to be hospitalized or are in real danger of this pandemic are those in our population who are 60 or over? I would sure love to be a teenager again at this moment. 

People between 40-49 have died. Death seems like danger to me.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, gurn said:

People between 40-49 have died. Death seems like danger to me.

I don't know why the argument with this but going back to facts that we CURRENTLY know, tells us that those who are more adversely affected are those who are older in age and have 1 or more underlying conditions. We have known this for a long time. Yes people in the 40-49 are in danger too but the number is not as great as those who are older. 

The fact of the matter is that we are not going to protect 100% of the population. Not going to happen. 

If I am elderly and have underlying conditions, I would be taking extra precautions right now. What are the odds of someone who is 85 years old with conditions that are prone to older age people such as diabetes, high blood pressure and heart condition to a young 25 year old who has none of that and is fit as a fiddle? I think the danger for these two individuals is a little different.

2 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Just like a light switch eh?  On and off, just like that.  What a fairytale land you're living in. 

The idea of reopening would save plenty of lives and livelihoods, thank you very much.  

If you want to foot the bill of death before Purgatory, be my guess.

• Cheers 1