The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

39 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You know we're at about 5 months now and not a single child in Canada has lost their life due to this.  

Cool. Let’s throw them all into a bin and hope for the best then.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Ted you're still not looking at the big picture. Economic crisis, mental illnesses on the rise, kids lacking on curriculum and socializing.  

I know you love stats so here's some more;

In British Columbia 1 in every 32,965 people have become infected and have died. There is a 96% chance that one person will be 60 years or older.  

You gotta look at how small these numbers are compared to other ways people can/do die ted and the fact that the whole country is still on lockdown

I wish covid-19 wasn't a thing so it wouldn't be a debate :( 

ok so now imagine being a 60 year old person. 

There.

Feel that all around you?

That is empathy. The ability to put yourself into someone else’s place and see and feel from that perspective.

Not one statistic can take into account such a feeling; just like you can’t win the Stanley Cup on advanced stats alone.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

You're missing the point about the big picture and you're just twisting things around on me again.  What about the millions of people who have lost their jobs and the 1000% rise in crisis hotline calls?  For an extremely small percentage of old individuals, that's what you're too close minded to wrap your head around.  There is a flu going around targeting the elderly so yes we need to be careful and quarantine as needed, but not at the expense of  complete economic crisis and extreme rise in mental illnesses, kids missing big chucks of school etc 

We were talking about letting young children back in school, and I brought up the numbers proving that children have been shown to be safe... I didn't bring up the numbers to say I don't care about old people.  Get a grip, ted

And for the record, you're disagreeing with a government decision right now.  

Good on you for coming up with numbers that are based on a lockdown.

Now let’s open up our civilization to a virus no one knows anything about and see how it goes.

Because such statements as “it affects children less”, “most get mild cold-like symptoms”, and “the younger people are less at risk” are definitely true. 

Wanna go visit a Covid hospital with no PPE to test your theory?

If not, you may be in need of a full review of the perspective you feel I’m not getting.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Over 2000 confirmed cases of people <19 yrs old.   0 confirmed deaths so far.

I commend you for going against the government though, I can respect that but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. 

I understand that there is a severe amount of tangible information about life you’re not yet considering.

I sure hope you can grasp some concepts rather quickly not only for yourself, but for all of your loved ones.

You seem determined to be a walking time bomb for the closest of them all. 

It is important to hear yourself think. And assess how it may be perceived by others, for that person may and will be you one day.

Your argument is akin to a global forest fire but in your square, it’s raining.

Perhaps a day will come whereby a death close to you will raise the depth of your understanding of life by which such gibberish spewed by your mouth may be seen in a different light.

Friend of the Earth; be well.

Edited by Me_
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You're missing the point about the big picture and you're just twisting things around on me again.  What about the millions of people who have lost their jobs and the 1000% rise in crisis hotline calls?  For an extremely small percentage of old individuals, that's what you're too close minded to wrap your head around.  There is a flu going around targeting the elderly so yes we need to be careful and quarantine as needed, but not at the expense of  complete economic crisis and extreme rise in mental illnesses, kids missing big chucks of school etc .. Talk about putting yourself in someone else's shoes...

We were talking about letting young children back in school, and I brought up the numbers proving that children have been shown to be safe(Not a single child death in 5 months of this pandemic)... I didn't bring up the numbers to say I don't care about old people.  Get a grip, ted

And for the record, you're disagreeing with a government decision right now.   I actually got banned for doing that earlier on, remember that?  You helped assist in that one.  your first ever assist

The death rates are lower than we thought they'd be and this is a good thing!  Stop being angry 

kids missing school isnt a big deal most kids cant do math for basic change without a ipad  and their geographic skills are horrible.  they arent missing much 

• Haha 3

UK teachers union now threatens to sue UK government about no PPE for teachers returning June 1.

Hopefully BC teachers do the same this week. 

Teachers can legally refuse to return when schools reopen unless they get the same protections against coronavirus as other frontline staff, one of the UK’s leading teaching unions has warned.

In a letter to local authorities seen by the Guardian, the 300,000-strong NASUWT threatens to invoke legal action to defend teachers against being forced back into schools on 1 June because of the risk to their health.

The union’s letter marks a significant hardening against the government’s push to reopen primary schools in England from 1 June

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/may/14/teachers-can-legally-refuse-to-return-over-risk-to-health-union-warns

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Me_ said:

Good on you for coming up with numbers that are based on a lockdown.

Now let’s open up our civilization to a virus no one knows anything about and see how it goes.

Because such statements as “it affects children less”, “most get mild cold-like symptoms”, and “the younger people are less at risk” are definitely true. 

Wanna go visit a Covid hospital with no PPE to test your theory?

If not, you may be in need of a full review of the perspective you feel I’m not getting.

In 2 months, and a little longer for other countries, much has been learned about this virus. The 5th Line is trying to tell you that. 

I think you are trying to argue an important topic with emotion, which usually clouds our judgement a little. 

We know who is really in danger with this, and that is those who are 60 years or older, FACT

We know who is likely to be hospitalized with this virus, 60 year old's or older, FACT

We also know how much earlier travelling and protective measures put in by Canada early on

contributed to how many got infected, FACT

We are not going to protect  100% of the population from this virus, FACT

We know geographically where most of the infections are, FACT

Now that it is somewhat under control, and many of us took the entire population into consideration and STAYED HOME for the past couple of months, its time to refine our approach based on FACTS we have learned so far.

So for those of the population older then 60, they are going to have to take EXTRA precautions still as, if they were to get it, they will most likely need be hospitalized. For those younger then that, cautiously try to get back to normal. I think extra precaution should still be taken in the lower mainland too as that is where there is still infections going on. The same for food processing plants and assisted living establishments. 

Dr. Henry and others basically follow what they have learned and adjusted accordingly, it could be worse, we could be living in the great ol' US of A. ::D

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

it could be worse, we could be living in the great ol' US of A. ::D

More accurate to say, it depends on WHICH states down there.  Washington state had taken a proactive approach.  Frankly, when you have a guy that makes Justin Trudeau look like Niccolò Machiavelli by comparison, you can hardly blame them.   Other states like Florida, where you have their leadership requiring knee pads from sucking Donnie's...errr, you know what, they've gambled on the lives of many.  It may turn out ok.......it could end horribly bad.  Needless risk to placate Urine Man's ego.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Canada Hockey Place said:

Unfortunately this thread highlights the ugly side of people. 

Out in the real world people make efforts to help each other in times of crisis. I guess those not as helpful in the real world feel a need to overcompensate for it on the internet. 

You really believe that?  Some do, for sure.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Seattle teachers with master maxs out at 99,000 USA dollars per year.

Actually i think they max out at 120,000 USA dollars... per year.. 

Don't they also get extra salary if they do extra-curricular such as coach football, coach the cheerleaders, do drama classes, etc.?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

You know we're at about 5 months now and not a single child in Canada has lost their life due to this.  

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52648557

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/14/health/pediatric-coronavirus-syndrome-multisystem-health/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/27/nhs-warns-of-rise-in-children-with-new-illness-that-may-be-linked-to-coronavirus

https://theintercept.com/2020/05/01/coronavirus-children-undercount/

I don't know about you, but I'm not comfortable accepting the risk of exposing the children of our province to this related disease.   It is unacceptable imo. 

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Ted you're still not looking at the big picture. Economic crisis, mental illnesses on the rise, kids lacking on curriculum and socializing.  

Schools have been shut down all summer for what, the past 50+ years?  And our country's economy has been just fine. I'm not completely buying the 'schools need to be open for the economy to be open' because what does our economy do all summer when the schools aren't open anyway - it doesn't shut down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuktravella said:

kids missing school isnt a big deal most kids cant do math for basic change without a ipad  and their geographic skills are horrible.

A lot of the math problems started with them throwing out the memorizing of the times tables. I have never seen a segment of students who are so slow at doing math, both in homework and on tests. A 45 minute test is given in 70 minutes, and they still want more time to finish it. Why? Because every question they have to reach for a calculator. Ask them what 7 x 8 is and their eyes are like dear-in-a-headlight eyes, and their arms are twitching to try and get to their calculator. And this is grade 11 !!!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, wloutet said:

A lot of the math problems started with them throwing out the memorizing of the times tables. I have never seen a segment of students who are so slow at doing math, both in homework and on tests. A 45 minute test is given in 70 minutes, and they still want more time to finish it. Why? Because every question they have to reach for a calculator. Ask them what 7 x 8 is and their eyes are like dear-in-a-headlight eyes, and their arms are twitching to try and get to their calculator. And this is grade 11 !!!

I agree with that, completely.  That said many teachers still do that and many teachers teach multiple ways to look at a math problem

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Me_ said:

ok so now imagine being a 60 year old person. 

There.

Feel that all around you?

That is empathy. The ability to put yourself into someone else’s place and see and feel from that perspective.

Not one statistic can take into account such a feeling; just like you can’t win the Stanley Cup on advanced stats alone.

We in Alberta say buy this man a beer.

9 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

I know you love stats so here's some more;

In British Columbia 1 in every 32,965 people have become infected and have died. There is a 96% chance that one person will be 60 years or older.  

You gotta look at how small these numbers are compared to other ways people can/do die ted and the fact that the whole country is still on lockdown

I wish covid-19 wasn't a thing so it wouldn't be a debate :( 

So I get your point and do at times question this stuff but those numbers are during a so called lockdown right? So if we do nothing how many people over 60 will die and how many under 60 will need medical attention? The Alberta government in fact ran a study on doing nothing and concluded it would overwhelm and collapse our health care system. 

Now again if you know me I always question things, however I can't imagine why Alberta, BC, Ontario, Canada, US, UK, etc would want to bankrupt themselves. 

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

This thread has become lame. Lately smothered by some who think they know everything and push their views as if they are authoritarian.

You do as you're told!!B)

47 minutes ago, stawns said:

Like Alberta sending all that supplies across the country.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

We in Alberta say buy this man a beer.

So I get your point and do at times question this stuff but those numbers are during a so called lockdown right? So if we do nothing how many people over 60 will die and how many under 60 will need medical attention? The Alberta government in fact ran a study on doing nothing and concluded it would overwhelm and collapse our health care system. 

Now again if you know me I always question things, however I can't imagine why Alberta, BC, Ontario, Canada, US, UK, etc would want to bankrupt themselves. 

You do as you're told!!B)

Like Alberta sending all that supplies across the country.

checks in on thread for first time in weeks.

strome just talking about alberta.

so it goes.

53 minutes ago, stawns said:

Of course I believe that. What a strange question. 

I'm guessing you just wanted to argue that not "all" people are helping. Which is not what I wrote. You just assumed that on your own to create an arguing point..... What a waste of time.    

• Cheers 1