The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Realistically - what assets could Vancouver expect in return in the Trade deadline

Rate this topic

iinatcc

Personally, edler has played his entire career here, loves Vancouver and only wants to play here, love the dedication. 

he deserves and earned the right to retire a Canuck when he chooses and be put into the ring of honour, you guys here are savage give the man some respect.

virtanen experiment is over time to make a decision on him his value is I believe is a 3rd most of everyone here over values, or the Bennett thing is intriguing, how ever I think this is the season for picks instead of player trades, start with the coaches this year and see where things go. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Edler and Hamonic are not getting traded, both have NMC.

hopefully Edler re-signs for a year at a time at about 4.5 mill next season and less every year after, if he can still play.

I'm fine with trading Pearson, then signing him as a free agent, providing he is cheap enough.

Sutter

Benn

Baertschi      trade for what ever you can get, do not re-sign.

• Cheers 1

43 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The problem with this year is that Jim won't be able to get any assets for the expiring ufa's. Trades will be difficult.  So Pearson and Sutter walk at the year end. No return. 

People keep repeating this, and it certainly adds a wrinkle, but we've already seen trades this season. Including a pretty big, cross border, one.

54 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

So Pearson sets career highs 2 seasons in a row and is a UFA for the first time and you think he's going to take a pay cut? Do you even watch pro sports man?

Do you even pay attention to what happened this summer? He won't get anywhere near that.

As for the thread (even with its snarky nonsense in the OP)... Assuming we continue to trend poorly, I think we can assume Benning will shop Sutter (likely with retention) and Benn. Probably Baer (again, retention) as well.

Elder isn't going anywhere. Harmonic likely not as well unless we move him to WPG or similar.

And no OP, with salary pro rated at the TDL, Sutter will only be owed roughly a quarter of his hit. With 50% retention he'd be +/- $500k remaining. Even then, I'd entertain re-signing him, if he'll re-up cheap, as I don't view Gaudette as our 3C solution.

I'd certainly entertain Virtanen/Gaudette trades as well... But those would likely be more 'hockey trades' and selling expiring vets for picks etc.

Pearson could go either way.

Edited by aGENT

55 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

So Pearson sets career highs 2 seasons in a row and is a UFA for the first time and you think he's going to take a pay cut? Do you even watch pro sports man?

My Question to you? Do you watch pro sports and further more more there re no fans?? Did you see know Taffoli signed for 4 million?????

All rumours before covid Taffoli would sign for $5 -- 6 million????? I think you must be Peaarson's agent or brother??

Canucks will not sign a 29year old player for 5 million like Pearson...NEVER...No team will sign Pearson for that kind of money??

Your in the past its covid teams have to watch salaries....

I think you need to look at contracts signed before this season started...Your thinking of past  stupid deals, Erickson , Neal, Lucic deals of $  5-6 million kill teams.

Your dreaming Pearson $5--6 million???? What are you smoking???? Maybe 3.5 million tops as Taffoli is a better player??

Go look maybe your not up on contracts signed?? Taffoli --Montreal  4yrs X 4 million..

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

People keep repeating this, and it certainly adds a wrinkle, but we've already seen trades this season. Including a pretty big, cross border, one.

Do you even pay attention to what happened this summer? He won't get anywhere near that.

As for the thread (even with its snarky nonsense in the OP)... Assuming we continue to trend poorly, I think we can assume Benning will shop Sutter (likely with retention) and Benn. Probably Baer (again, retention) as well.

Elder isn't going anywhere. Harmonic likely not as well unless we move him to WPG or similar.

And no OP, with salary pro rated at the TDL, Sutter will only be owed roughly a quarter of his hit. With 50% retention he'd be +/- $500k remaining. Even then, I'd entertain re-signing him, if he'll re-up cheap, as I don't view Gaudette as our 3C solution.

I'd certainly entertain Virtanen/Gaudette trades as well... But those would likely be more 'hockey trades' and selling expiring vets for picks etc.

Pearson could go either way.

Show me one UFA in the history of sports that sets career highs 2 years in a row and then takes a pay cut. I don't care if its a pandemic or not; I could easily see Seattle offering Pearson 4 years and $20m. A cup winner that Seattle fans will know from following the Canucks and Seattle will need to get to the cap floor. My god some of you on here freaking out the Pearson might get a $1m raise from a GM out there is really weird.

Just now, wildcam said:

My Question to you? Do you watch pro sports and further more more there re no fans?? Did you see know Taffoli signed for 4 million?????

All rumours before covid Taffoli would sign for $5 -- 6 million????? I think you must be Peaarson's agent or brother??

Canucks will not sign a 29year old player for 5 million like Pearson...NEVER...No team will sign Pearson for that kind of money??

Your in the past its covid teams have to watch salaries....

I think you need to look at contracts signed before this season started...Your thinking of past  stupid deals, Erickson , Neal, Lucic deals of $  5-6 million kill teams.

Your dreaming Pearson $5--6 million???? What are you smoking???? Maybe 3.5 million tops as Taffoli is a better player??

Go look maybe your not up on contracts signed?? Taffoli --Montreal  4yrs X 4 million..

Wow you really like question marks even when some of the sentences you ended them with are not even questions. Seattle will need to get to the cap floor, fans in Seattle will know Pearson from following the Canucks Francis could easily offer him 4 years and $20m and make him an assistant captain. This isn't last summer, fans will be in the stands come October and quite a few teams will need to spend to the cap floor. Calm down, learn how to use punctuation properly and realize you're freaking out over a UFA coming off 2 career seasons that might get a $1m raise.

10 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Show me one UFA in the history of sports that sets career highs 2 years in a row and then takes a pay cut. I don't care if its a pandemic or not; I could easily see Seattle offering Pearson 4 years and $20m. A cup winner that Seattle fans will know from following the Canucks and Seattle will need to get to the cap floor. My god some of you on here freaking out the Pearson might get a $1m raise from a GM out there is really weird.

Its covid no fans teams are not making money??? Look at the world..Football and Baseball have fantastic TV deals...NHL doesn't have that kind of money..

Pearson will make no more then $3.2 million?? If he doesn't start producing he might not get 3.2 million..  

Motte - $1.1 million -- 15 GP -- 6 PTS-- playing on 4th line

Pearson $3.5 million  --15GP --8 PTS --- Playing on 2nd line

Horvat has really helped Pearson....

Edited by wildcam

5 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Its covid no fans teams are not making money??? Look at the world..Football and Baseball have fantastic TV deals...NHL doesn't have that kind of money..

Pearson will make no more then $3.2 million?? If he doesn't start producing he might not get 3.2 million..  

Motte - $1.1 million -- 15 GP -- 6 PTS-- playing on 4th line

Pearson $3.5 million  --15GP --8 PTS --- Playing on 2nd line

https://theathletic.com/2132998/2020/10/12/nhl-will-cash-in-on-new-tv-streaming-rights-deals-despite-2020-ratings-decline/

I'll ask again. Do you even follow pro sports or do you just like to come to these forums and whine?

6 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

Wow you really like question marks even when some of the sentences you ended them with are not even questions. Seattle will need to get to the cap floor, fans in Seattle will know Pearson from following the Canucks Francis could easily offer him 4 years and $20m and make him an assistant captain. This isn't last summer, fans will be in the stands come October and quite a few teams will need to spend to the cap floor. Calm down, learn how to use punctuation properly and realize you're freaking out over a UFA coming off 2 career seasons that might get a $1m raise.

Your out to lunch on Pearson, have you watched him play? Did you look at how good Taffoli is and making $4 million big pay cut..

You don't make sense at all...Pearson is really a 3rd line winger now 29 years old career heading down..Sorry Seattle will not give him $5 million..

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Your out to lunch on Pearson, have you watched him play? Did you look at how good Taffoli is and making $4 million big pay cut..

You don't make sense at all...Pearson is really a 3rd line winger now 29 years old career heading down..Sorry Seattle will not give him $5 million..

He set career highs last year and is on pace for the same this year. My god you don't even watch Canuck games do you?

24 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

He set career highs last year and is on pace for the same this year. My god you don't even watch Canuck games do you?

I don't think you watch NHL games if you think Person is a $5 million Dollar player?

Pearson 44 Pts -2016 -17 very good LA team scored 24 goals..

2017-18-- GP 82 -- 40 points

2018-19 -- GP 80 -- 27 points  - 

2019 -20  -Gp 69  -- 45 points

2020 -21   GP 14 -- 8 points

Where do you get career high 2 years in a row?  Sorry you don't make sense? Pearson had 27 points 2 yrs ago...Only scored over 20 goals in 2 season and this his 8th season ...

Edited by wildcam

2 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Imagine a 3rd line of

JV Gaudette and Pod? 

What if he's the one that gets the other 2 going? 

I didn't expect Hog to be the spark plug of the 2nd line but he is. 

Lol imagine? What is Gaudette going to do? He can’t defend to save his life and sure he has energy but he just bounces off of guys. 

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I don't think you watch NHL games if you think Person is a $5 million Dollar player?

Pearson 44 Pts -2016 -17 very good LA team scored 24 goals..

2018-19 -- GP 80 -- 27 points  - 

2019 -20  -Gp 69--  69 points

2020 -21   GP 14 -- 8 points

Where do you get career high 2 years in a row?  Sorry you don't make sense? Pearson had 27 points 2 yrs ago...Only scored over 20 goals in 2 season and this his 8th season ...

You might want to check those point totals again.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=130530

9 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Edlers time as a Canuck is done. He is washed up, slow, gets walked on by old players like Spezza. There is no way I could see them signing Edler when Tanev was let go and he was way better than Edler.

I also do not want a 4.8 million dollar cancer such as DeAngelo taking up what little cap space we have. We dont even need another offensive defenseman with questionable defensive skills.

Except he is still our 2nd best D man.... if that puts it in better perspective for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1