The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Would You Do? Pt. 1

Rate this topic

MrCanuck94

What Would You Do? Pt. 1  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's clear that the team overachieved last year due to great goaltending and the season being short. Losing a few players should not make this team implode like this but at least we know where we really stand. I'm beginning to think Benning might have served his purpose. His superior drafting ability has provided the team with a good core and now we need an experienced gm to add to the core. 

Just now, 24K PureCool said:

That is why you 'promote' JB to president of hockey ops with full control over scouting and have the new GM also report to Aqua.

Easier said than done. You’d never take a demotion from a top spot in a company if it meant giving up the largest role of decision making and choosing direction of where you envision bringing the company. Especially when you are making more money than everybody else. Being “promoted” to a president role doesn’t mean you are actually being promoted. 

You can’t fire the GM 15 games into the season, he hasn’t failed yet , the team is still mathematically in the race. 

The coach is on an expiring contract, and the team is flat on rock bottom. Fire the coach and see if the team responds, if they miss the playoffs then you can evaluate the GM.

5 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Easier said than done. You’d never take a demotion from a top spot in a company if it meant giving up the largest role of decision making and choosing direction of where you envision bringing the company. Especially when you are making more money than everybody else. Being “promoted” to a president role doesn’t mean you are actually being promoted. 

Think that is the point.

You retain him and let him decide his fate. If he wants to stick around until someone offer him a gm job then win for us. If he leaves, well we are going to fire him anyways so no lose there.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Screenshot_20210206-205610_Twitter.thumb.jpg.66f320fb1f2bf52e30a5f57661af90ae.jpg

I would probably agree on that, but unless we are getting new owners I don’t see heading back down that rabbit hole.

Hextall maybe... 

Gilman would be on any candidate list, but as he hasn’t been a GM before he wouldn’t fit in these rankings.  Rutherford could be on that list if he decided he was

available.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Down by the River said:

First step is to fire Benning. 

Firing Green needs to be done too, but we need a competent management group to identify what type of coach this team needs. 

Fire Benning and his staff and bring in a President of Hockey Ops. Use that person to identify a GM. Let the new GM identify his assistants/staff (in consultation with the President). Let that group evaluate Green and his staff.

The reason why you don't fire the coach first is because all GMs want to pick their own guy. If you fire Green, you're letting Benning pick the next coach. But if you expect to fire Benning, then a new GM might be hesitant to sign-up for the job because Aqua isn't going to want to be paying 3 different coaches in the span of a year. 

A GM that knows that they have a blank canvas to work with will attract better candidates. 

Very well thought out, I agree with the process. Solid post!

On the Gillis note, he has had many long media sessions here in Vancouver since his departure.

He knows what his shortcomings were and he has done a lot of out of box learning since he was let go.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I wouldn't mind giving him another chance to prove himself, he's a smart guy.