The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this THAT bad?...really...

Rate this topic

Freeridebc

Just now, kanucks25 said:

Yeah, exactly. You asked:

"What expectation could we have that Benning will keep making mistakes?"

It's very reasonable to predict that Benning will continue to make mistakes based on his past mistakes.

Ya... I have no idea how that is a complicated connection to make.

Even more so, when he literally arguing that the reverse will happen and that history should be ignored or that it actually shows us it is likely that he won't keep making those mistakes.  I can't even figure out how that thought process works.

We can't assume a rosy future at all.  Someone can decide to be optimistic and be hopeful... but that certainly isn't rationale for calling other people out for being objectively wrong because they don't share that worldview.

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah and this is logical progression, at least how I define it.

This is literally what I've been saying the whole time. So then why are you guys against me on this?

That is literally the opposite of what you have been saying.  You said it is logical progression that the team would be better two years from now.

If you agree that Benning is likely to continue making mistakes... getting better isn't the logical outcome.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya... I have no idea how that is a complicated connection to make.

Even more so, when he literally arguing that the reverse will happen and that history should be ignored or that it actually shows us it is likely that he won't keep making those mistakes.  I can't even figure out how that thought process works.

We can't assume a rosy future at all.  Someone can decide to be optimistic and be hopeful... but that certainly isn't rationale for calling other people out for being objectively wrong because they don't share that worldview.

Just because I'm not as pessimistic as you doesn't mean I'm wrong.

I want you to literally look back and give me my exact quote on where I am blatantly assuming a rosy future. Note that there's a difference between giving a couple more years time to see what we have and assuming a rosy future.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

That is literally the opposite of what you have been saying.  You said it is logical progression that the team would be better two years from now.

If you agree that Benning is likely to continue making mistakes... getting better isn't the logical outcome.

I don't know if Benning will continue to make mistakes or not. Neither do you.

• Cheers 1

Hey Lock, some folk just don't use context when looking back to the start of the rebuild. They just like to throw sh^% at the wall and berate those who believe in our management as "cool aid drinkers and wearers of rose colour glasses". I just got tired of reading that BS. I'm sure there are many more of us that are getting sick of all the negative crap on here. I understand that they want to win, I do too. Christ, all teams learn to crawl before they can walk or run. A little support could go a long way for the troops though. I like what I see happening with the team.

I love my rose coloured glasses and cool aid, they can their toxic soup and dirty magnifying glasses.

A toast to the beginnings of a contending team!!  Cheers 

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, 180sret said:

Hey Lock, some folk just don't use context when looking back to the start of the rebuild. They just like to throw sh^% at the wall and berate those who believe in our management as "cool aid drinkers and wearers of rose colour glasses". I just got tired of reading that BS. I'm sure there are many more of us that are getting sick of all the negative crap on here. I understand that they want to win, I do too. Christ, all teams learn to crawl before they can walk or run. A little support could go a long way for the troops though. I like what I see happening with the team.

I love my rose coloured glasses and cool aid, they can their toxic soup and dirty magnifying glasses.

You're bang on...  

For the rest of the people talking about Benning doing the same thing again...  just to clarify, Benning has done the OPPOSITE of what he had done in the years' past.  He chose to NOT give out three long term contracts.  No need to debate the merits of each one, but he made room for Hoglander, Juolevi and took a 2 year deal on a goalie instead of a 6 year deal with NMC. 

On 2/9/2021 at 6:06 PM, King Heffy said:

I still think that if we replace Baumer with literally anyone, the defense will improve.  A lot of the issues are caused by our defensive system being a steaming pile of garbage.  Firing the unqualified idiot responsible for this group is the first step necessary.  Firing Green is a positive move too now that he's decided to allow Eriksson to disgrace our jersey once again, and Brown's idea of a power play is sticking a fork into the wall socket.

********** POST OF THE MONTH ************  You've got my vote t.b. coach.  Your analysis is point on and I couldn't say anything more !

I do appreciate the verbal gymnastics around here to continuously change the start of the rebuild to suit current narratives. Now the rebuild is 7 years in, despite the last 3-5 years of complaints the rebuild started far too late. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Wow. I was so into the discussion yesterday that I must not have seen your post. Thank you for this. lol

I absolutely agree on context. I've even stated in another thread about how context is really what separates those who use facts and those who use critical thinking with those facts. I would have absolutely done my discussion different in hindsight but the premise would have still been the same: in order to develop a team you need to go through a logical progression. There are no short cuts. There are no perfect systems where everything goes according to that plan.

I wonder in what I said states "rosy coloured glasses" because I sure don't see it. It was pretty neutral with maybe a slight "it's not all bad at the moment". It just wasn't what the negative people wanted to read. lol

But yeah, I absolutely stand by what I said. All of it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 2

A 7-3 run is not out of the question and it looks like we can do it over the last 3-4 good games, but then we had a bit of a stinker defensively against Calgary and let in 4 goals again. If this team plays consistently the way they did the night before, or the way they did in the playoffs against St. Louis, they will cream some of these middle-tier Canadian teams.

If they continue the way they've played to start the season then they don't deserve a playoff spot, we waste a year of all of our young kids good quality hockey and lose some guys prime years as well.

It is possible to be a canucks fan and be critical of this year's turn backwards.

For me it's the mediocrity that becomes systemic and creates an atmosphere where adding to the team becomes much more.challenging. 

I can handle the team losing if they are fun to watch and tough to play against. That has been reversed for many games to date this year- tough to watch and fun to play against.

We want a team FA want to play for and players want to stay with even if it means less money. 

Creating a winning team means much more than just wins and losses and I think ( atleast from my perspective) is what's missing at the moment and needs fixing asap.

No one expects the canucks to win a cup in the next year or 2 but I want to see them get back to other goalies hating to face our kids who are lighting them up and knowing win or lose they gonna be hurting after the game 

On 2/9/2021 at 5:48 PM, Freeridebc said:

The more I've been watching, cursing, throwing things... it got me thinking...

Man, there is a light at the end of this tunnel, and it's bright as eff word.

Never in history have we played this many games, in such a short time.

So here is my take. 

Next year we will see Toffolli twice? Next.

Hoglander looks legit.

Oli looks like he can serve a purpose.

JV is def done. And our Big Russian looks like he's ready to break our top 6.

Would a high pick hurt us? No.

There's a clear picture of who everyone is and who is expendable.

Let's wash this season up to what it is. A freak show. We all watched to watch the 'nucks win. 

But its not the end. 

The way I see it, management and ownership have built this team for the 2022-2023 season.

Obviously, management and ownership want us to be competitive right now but 2022-2023 is the REAL prize that they have circled in my opinion.

-Petey, Hughes, Demko, Juolevi, Hoglander, Podkolzin, etc., will all be closer to their peak years.

-Horvat, Miller, Boeser, and Schmidt will still be on cap friendly deals or will still be cost controlled assets (in Boeser’s case).

-All of our “transitional” contracts that were signed during our rebuild will be off the books, along with our cap penalties (ie Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Baertschi, Spooner, Luongo, etc.).   Ferland will be LTIR or retired, while Myers will be our only ‘bloated’ contract left (although in Myers’ case, it’s not really a horrible contract since his presence fulfills our biggest organizational weakness).  

It’s NOT the end of the world if the Canucks bomb this year because if they bomb and land a lottery pick, then there’s a small chance that this 2021 1st lottery pick will be a huge factor in the 2022-2023 season.  

Try to focus on October 1st, 2022.  

Most fans may not realize this, but we might actually be close to where Colorado was in 2017.

Edited by DarkIndianRises