The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is this THAT bad?...really...

Rate this topic

Freeridebc

Definitely not the end.  They could even turn things around if they got hot.  If anything it's a good way to purge and sell off any peaked assets and consolidate the roster and figure out what we have to work with going forward.  Next season probably looks something like

Miller - Petey - Brock (don't fix what's not broken)
_____ - Bo - Hoglander (if TP doesn't come back this duo can still carry things)
Roussel - _______ - Podkolzin? (presuming AG, JV and BS are all gone, they could maybe sign a center to help the 3rd line gel) 
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen (not a terrible 4th line if TM and ZM keep developing, the wingers can help drive play)

_______ - Schmidt (Edler's probably done, unless he takes a big reduction in price and role)
Hughes - Myers* (that's unless TM gets picked by Seattle; or bring back Benn?)
Juolevi - Chatfield (maybe not as a pairing but there's good pieces to work with here)
(Hopefully Hamonic can return, this blueline will need help)

Demko (he'll need help if Holtby goes in ED)

• Haha 1

Sophomore jinx is what it is.

Wha?  Ok Hughes.  Same for Petey.  Sure it's his 3rd season but close enough.

Why?  They showed tremendous success in the bubble and now they think that this game is easier than it really is.

My theory is that Green showed the team some video, a lot of video of them playing in the bubble before their last game.  

There's more to their woes than just this.  These things are complicated but this is one of about 6 things that they can target to improve performance

14 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

I love posts like these.

Things could always be worse!

That said, I heard Dan Cloutier is out of retirement, and looking for a Goaltender position in the NHL - should we sign him up?

I’m down, I love Cloutier. The fire he had. What a beauty.

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I still think that if we replace Baumer with literally anyone, the defense will improve.  A lot of the issues are caused by our defensive system being a steaming pile of garbage.  Firing the unqualified idiot responsible for this group is the first step necessary.  Firing Green is a positive move too now that he's decided to allow Eriksson to disgrace our jersey once again, and Brown's idea of a power play is sticking a fork into the wall socket.

Erickson is like what 10 games away from 1000 games played?

We should make a deal with him, we will allow him to get to 1000 and give him all the ceremony stuff associated with it in exchange for him retiring right after or at least at the end of the season. 

Make it an ultimatum, take the deal or sit for the rest of his contract

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Definitely not the end.  They could even turn things around if they got hot.  If anything it's a good way to purge and sell off any peaked assets and consolidate the roster and figure out what we have to work with going forward.  Next season probably looks something like

Miller - Petey - Brock (don't fix what's not broken)
_____ - Bo - Hoglander (if TP doesn't come back this duo can still carry things)
Roussel - _______ - Podkolzin? (presuming AG, JV and BS are all gone, they could maybe sign a center to help the 3rd line gel) 
Motte - Beagle - MacEwen (not a terrible 4th line if TM and ZM keep developing, the wingers can help drive play)

_______ - Schmidt (Edler's probably done, unless he takes a big reduction in price and role)
Hughes - Myers* (that's unless TM gets picked by Seattle; or bring back Benn?)
Juolevi - Chatfield (maybe not as a pairing but there's good pieces to work with here)
(Hopefully Hamonic can return, this blueline will need help)

Demko (he'll need help if Holtby goes in ED)

The forward group looks pretty good. Kole Lind is also being groomed as a center and I would assume that we would get some piece back in AG/JV trade if one or both were to go down. I'd also re-sign Sutter at 2-2.5 mil, he is still a serviceable player and he is an effective penalty killer.

But that defence needs work.

Maybe we will have to re-visit OEL trade? If so, I would trade Schmidt to make the room.

Alternatively, Edler can brought back and we upgrade RHD via trade.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Erickson is like what 10 games away from 1000 games played?

We should make a deal with him, we will allow him to get to 1000 and give him all the ceremony stuff associated with it in exchange for him retiring right after or at least at the end of the season. 

Make it an ultimatum, take the deal or sit for the rest of his contract

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I’m down, I love Cloutier. The fire he had. What a beauty.

Agreed. When I was a teenager I didnt like him cause of that 200 foot goal he let in the playoffs and that wce era team had so much promise and we never made it.

But looking back he had heart, and passion. kinda like Ryan Miller. Dont see that nearly as often these days

Remember when he tuned in Tommy Salo when he played for the Rags lol. And then challenged the islanders whole bench haha

Edited by 10pavelbure96
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Agreed. When I was a teenager I didnt like him cause of that 200 foot goal he let in the playoffs and that wce era team had so much promise and we never made it.

But looking back he had heart, and passion. kinda like Ryan Miller. Dont see that nearly as often these days

Remember when he tuned in Tommy Salo when he played for the Rags lol. And then challenged the islanders whole bench haha

I have so many Cloutier memories. Thank you. He was my first favourite player you could say. He had one brilliant season here too. And a couple average ones. Took too much heat imo. The Canucks were very run and gun back then. Felt super bad when he let in that goal. That was the turning point. I thought we coulda made a run that year

Edited by Devron44

This season is just evidence at how impatient people are. I keep hearing "well when is the right time to complain if not now?" My answer to that is give it at least a couple of years from now. We need to develop and grow as a team. Losing like this, there's a good chance it'll strengthen us for later on. If anyone seriously thinks nothing but negative about this team right now, they really need to sit down and question it,

In fact, I'll tell you what. If we're still playing like this in 2 years, I'll jump on that bandwagon of "we didn't do enough". However, we need to actually be playing as bad as we are now for a looooong period of time.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

54 minutes ago, ImConfused said:

I love posts like these.

Things could always be worse!

That said, I heard Dan Cloutier is out of retirement, and looking for a Goaltender position in the NHL - should we sign him up?

Not if you’re a Sens fan.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1