The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini says "I have no plans to make changes."

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

Just now, dank.sinatra said:

Obviously not. But like I said, Benning doesn't much praise for not drafting a dud in a the top five of draft that had five great players.

It's expected he get a good player there, especially in that year. 

Stop praising people for simply doing the bare minimum.

Then why were you using that example to bash Benning in the first place if it wasn't a bad thing?

1 minute ago, dank.sinatra said:

Ok great, so you agree that any GM could have made the same picks given the same scouting staff.

Now hopefully we can move on to finding a GM actually competent in the other areas of managing a hockey team.

No. I didn't agree to that. That's just you assuming and putting words in someone's mouth.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Then why were you using that example to bash Benning in the first place if it wasn't a bad thing?

Because all you Benning Bros keep saying "omg hezz so gewdd at drafting. real gewddd. We can't lose Benneerzzz!!" 

I'm just trying to show you that his only perceived strength isn't much of a strength but would have been accomplished by basically anyone.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Okay, so you just don't want to say Benning drafted them. I get it. Dodgy. ;)

You're welcome to your opinion, but if Benning was truly bad, we would likely not even have Pettersson. Imagine picking Middlestadt or Rasmussen instead. So many people wanted those 2 players instead of Pettersson. So many wanted Juulsen instead of Boeser.

And before you mention Virtanen or Juolevi, give me one GM in this league who has done well in every 1st round since he became GM. Let's add in some context with all of this. Because if this is as easy as you say, the best GM's should have a perfect record, right?

I'll use an example of a GM praised for doing a good job in the draft, Tallon in Chicago:

Skille (7 OA), Beech (11 OA), Olsen (28 OA).

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

I'll use an example of a GM praised for doing a good job in the draft, Tallon in Chicago:

Skille (7 OA), Beech (11 OA), Olsen (28 OA).

And yet here you've done more work than dank has in proving things to me ironically. enough. lol

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, gurn said:

Really?

Is that an opinion or are you stating a fact?

Some quick research shows that around 60 players per draft become nhl players.  Averaged over a ten year period. Every draft would be different. 

Just now, The Lock said:

What have I proven of your points? Please quote the exact thing I said that proves your points.

I literally just did.

Sorry if you can't keep up.

I've said everything I have to say in this thread. If you need to slow down and go back to read everything, please be my guest. 

Maybe you'll learn something or maybe you'll continue blindly fanboying an objectively bad GM. Up to you, I could care less. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

24 year old Markstrom was a failing prospect in 2014, who cleared waivers in 2015.(and nobody would have really cared if he got claimed)

Meh.  Bret Hall cleared waivers.  So did Martin St Louis.  Those two guys are legit hall of famers.  Patently false that Benning inherited nothing.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

Which just goes to show that JB is well above average. 

LITERALLY ANY GM WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS SUCCESSFUL AT THE DRAFT TABLE GIVEN THE PICKS AND SCOUTS BENNING HAD.

In fact, the two picks that Benning wanted himself were Virtanen and Juolevi. 

I defended Juolevi at the time. But Virtanen always felt like a mistake by a new GM. He should not have been picked at sixth and it was evident on draft day.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Well I'm glad we've estabilished the drop off is fact. I agree his drafting was not the greatest but in addition to always falling into the dregs of the 1st round picks but also the subsequent picks ie 2nd, 3rd, 5th etc etc. The franchise target was different. Gillis was on the verge of the Stanley Cup prize, He traded some 1st round picks to bolster that goal. His position for the draft is predicated on the success of the on ice product,  Vcr was a winning city and was given accolades and trophies to attest to that. I might add he received  the Best GM in the league voted by the other GM's as well as a number of Division and Conference and League championships. ( I bet that more than half the banner in the rafters of Rogers area were won during the Gillis era)Benning has made it to the play-offs twice and won nothing. So when  he duplicates that record or betters it, then I'll tip my cap to the guy. Benning has made some good picks mostly from being crap on the ice but that aside his 1st round pick do have equal flaws like Virtanen and McCann and who knows maybe Juolevi turn out to be a journeyman D ( at the #5 slot, but there were numerous better choices ) So Benning is not without fault in drafting too and his FA signing ... well enough has been said already. Rememeber this, there were parties on Robson Street for the Canucks during Gillis era and we all ( those older enough to recall) enjoyed Vcr prowess. Now some fans want to trash all that, well not me. I have season tickets and going to a Canucks game was fun then, not now

The whole Gillis 'couldn't draft after the first round' because he was too busy chasing Stanley Cups, is a crock.

LA Kings and the Blackhawks were just as elite as the Canucks (2008-12)

Kings,.Pearson,Colin Miller,Toffoli,Forbort,Clifford,Nolan,Dowd,Voynov,Martinez..Many of these players would play a key part in their SC wins

Hawks,.Motte,Saad,Danault,Hayes,Nordstrom,Pirri,Hinostroza

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, dank.sinatra said:

I literally just did.

Sorry if you can't keep up.

I've said everything I have to say in this thread. If you need to slow down and go back to read everything, please be my guest. 

Maybe you'll learn something or maybe you'll continue blindly fanboying an objectively bad GM. Up to you, I could care less. 

You see, if I had proven your points, you'd be easily able to quote what I said before to prove it. Given you haven't, that doesn't look too good on you now does it?

Nice tantrum on your part though I guess? lol

Also you clearly do care. Otherwise you wouldn't be posting in here. ;)

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

Aquilini blaming the media lol lets take a trip down memory lane for a second. The first video is Aquilini and firing Dave Nonis, because Aquilini was mad they missed the playoffs by 3 points and that wasn't acceptable for Canucks fans. The 2nd video was tougher to find I knew it was out there somewhere, but Nonis finally talks to the media after being fired and he basically spells it out for everyone he wasn't going to trade his youth away to just make the playoffs, so basically Aquilini fired Dave Nonis because he didn't listen to Aquilini and sell the youth to make the playoffs. 

I don't trust Aquilini, so he can tweet whatever he wants, I don't buy his crap.

• Cheers 3