The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Francesco Aquilini says "I have no plans to make changes."

Rate this topic

AriGold2.0

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We'll see! I do not share your faith lol

As a Dallas cowboys fan who’s had nothing but stability in the front office, I think stability is overrated. But I agree with you that firing a GM mid season during a pandemic with no replacement is a bad decision. So we agree on that!

and like I said I hope y’all are right and the Leafs end up sucking and the Canucks end up rocking!

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Tony Romo said:

As a Dallas cowboys fan who’s had nothing but stability in the front office, I think stability is overrated. But I agree with you that firing a GM mid season during a pandemic with no replacement is a bad decision. So we agree on that!

and like I said I hope y’all are right and the Leafs end up sucking and the Canucks end up rocking!

Questionable D, double Flamingo, great regular season team and I'd be shocked if Matthews isn't traded before he expires... Because otherwise I'm certain he's walking with that ridiculous contract that leaves him a UFA and was given to him by your 'superior run' team.

And I'll ask you the same question as buddy... Where's the 'impact' players in their pool? :P

Edited by aGENT

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Questionable D, double Flamingo, great regular season team and I'd be shocked if Matthews isn't traded before he expires... Because otherwise I'm certain he's walking with that ridiculous contract that leaves him a UFA and was given to him but your 'superior run' team.

And I'll ask you the same question as buddy... Where's the 'impact' players in their pool? :P

I think RFAs signing til they’re 27 might become more common once they see how luxurious it can be. If I’m Pettersson that’s what I’m doing. 
but I’d be shocked if Matthews was traded-just shows our differing of philosophy’s. Again not saying you are wrong, just shows our different views. I mean I think they have an above average d core, certainly better than ours. 

Also I’ve said Benning and his regime have been great at drafting, i just wish we had more picks so we had more lottery tickets and depth to trade. 

And like I said I just read pronman and Wheeler and they both have the leafs system better and deeper than ours. Nick Robertson sounds like he will be quite good(Don’t tell PO I’m trying to get him), 

Sandin and Amirov are very good prospects, and they have a handful of good prospects, which they can hope will develop to nhlers, or as they did with Carl Grundstrom, turn into impact NHLers. 

if we are going pick for Pick we have a couple more late round picks that have worked out better than them, but we also have two top 10 relative busts. But like I said I’d take Our drafting over there’s.

Edited by Tony Romo

1 minute ago, Tony Romo said:

I think RFAs signing til they’re 27 might become more common once they see how luxurious it can be. If I’m Pettersson that’s what I’m doing. 

And if I'm Benning, I chuckle :lol:

Literally nobody else is doing it. It's managerial suicide. As it should be.

but I’d be shocked if Matthews was traded-just shows our differing of philosophy’s. Again not saying you are wrong, just shows our different views.

Trade him or have him walk for nothing. Pick your poison.

I mean I think they have an above average d core. 

:blink: Who's your dealer? :P

Also I’ve said Benning and his regime have been great at drafting, i just wish we had more picks so we had more lottery tickets and depth to trade. 

Well at least your not one of the yahoos trying to sell us that their drafting isn't that great because our 4 the rounder from 2 years ago hasn't made the show yet as 'proof' :lol:

Picks are fun and all but you can only have so much depth/so many contracts. We're hardly hurting for prospect depth. So much we could afford moving Madden for Toffoli last year. Unless you can show some tangible 'loss' there... it's pretty nebulous (and not really warranting the level of concern some give it IMO). 

And like I said I just read pronman and Wheeler and they both have the leafs system better and deeper than ours. Nick Robertson sounds like he will be quite good(Don’t tell PO I’m trying to get him), 

Shhh! ;)

Sandin and Amirov are very good prospects, and they have a handful of good prospects, which they can hope will develop to nhlers, or as they did with Carl Grundstrom, turn into impact NHLers. 

if we are going pick for Pick we have a couple more late round picks that have worked out better than them, but we also have two top 10 relative busts. But like I said I’d take Our drafting over there’s.

'Relative' eh? Virtanen's been disappointing and I doubt in the long term picture but he's hardly a 'bust'. He can NHL and that's not a bust of any sort. Juolevi is looking like a very solid young D. I fully expect he's a top 4 D in his prime if he can stay healthy. Hard to call a likely top 4 D a 'bust' either.

As would I. 

By all means they're further along than we are (as they should be) but I have trouble seeing a superior, long term, outlook.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if I'm Benning, I chuckle :lol:

Literally nobody else is doing it. It's managerial suicide. As it should be.

Trade him or have him walk for nothing. Pick your poison.

:blink: Who's your dealer? :P

Well at least your not one of the yahoos trying to sell us that their drafting isn't that great because our 4 the rounder from 2 years ago hasn't made the show yet as 'proof' :lol:

Picks are fun and all but you can only have so much depth/so many contracts. We're hardly hurting for prospect depth. So much we could afford moving Madden for Toffoli last year. Unless you can show some tangible 'loss' there... it's pretty nebulous (and not really warranting the level of concern some give it IMO). 

Shhh! ;)

'Relative' eh? Virtanen's been disappointing and I doubt in the long term picture but he's hardly a 'bust'. He can NHL and that's not a bust of any sort. Juolevi is looking like a very solid young D. I fully expect he's a top 4 D in his prime if he can stay healthy. Hard to call a likely top 4 D a 'bust' either.

As would I. 

By all means they're further along than we are (as they should be) but I have trouble seeing a superior, long term, outlook.

Reilly, Muzzin, Brodie are all top 4 guys, Holl and Dermott are both good bottom pairing guys, Sandin and Lilijegren have nice upside, I honestly didn’t think it was a controversial take to say the Leafs had an above average-not great-but above average d core. 

I think those Matthews deals will be the future, players are realizing they do have some leverage as RFAs. And as we are seeing, this trend is happening in baseball as players are realizing they can’t get big contracts in their 30s anymore. 

Let him walk, trade him..or you can also sign him. Just like we should try and sign Horvat when he’s a UFA in 3 years. 

id argue we are lacking the prospect depth and we couldn’t afford to do the Toffoli trade, if we had the depth we’d be able to trade some of the bad contracts we had, Like the leafs have managed to do(note Marleau was signed by Lamorelo). 

And as it seems we agree on, we have done a great job drafting, but If top picks arnt top impact guys I think that’s a bust. I also think that’s just luck though and I do not blame benning for that, both were good picks based on the information everyone had at the time. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, dank.sinatra said:

This team is in absolutely no way close to being a cup contender. The level of delusion on display here is absolutely astounding. 

All the young Canuck stars are still very young.  Wait until they all hit their prime at 24-28.  Petty, Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Hoglander, Juolevi, Podkolzin, Rathbone, Woo, Lind.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Yes because Aquilini is surely a hockey savant.

Maybe not on CDC, but that's just CDC.

Again, the rebuild is over? It's 7 years now, not total. We're still counting.

Strawman. I've never said that missing the playoffs in Benning's early years wasn't expected.

You completely dodged the question.

How convenient.

He's 25 and has 47 NHL games. This year is the first year he's expected to carry the ball and he's at .899

I actually like Demko and have faith in him (he was incredible in the playoffs) but that's nowhere near starting goalie establishment.

It's hard to take someone seriously when something like this is said. 

10 NHL games treading water as a bottom-pairing D-man @ a few months away from 23 YO after being selected 5th overall.

Where are the standards here? It's all sunshine and lollipops. If that's your definition of "damn good" it's literally impossible for anything related to the Canucks to be bad. Which is fine, if you want to be an overly optimistic fan. Doesn't really help when it comes to logical discussion, though.

Like? Other than Podkolzin who was another top-10 pick. And I mean actual prospects, ones that actually look like they can play top-9 F or top-4 D?

Have to stop you there. Love when people literally give Benning credit for time passing. OF COURSE he's rebuilt everything, it's been 7 freaking years and 95% of the old core has retired.

All the "prospects" you've listed here are fringe guys, every team has guys like these. Which one of them is expected to be an impact player? It's not an impressive list (I'm talking the non-NHLers only).

Benning's ability to draft outside the top-10 is grossly overexaggerated. Here are a couple facts:

1) It took 6 years (Demko) for any of Benning's 2nd round picks to play games in the NHL

2) No draft pick after the 2nd round (Demko, Hoglander) has made any sort of significant impact on this team.

- Gaudette has a decent amount of GP but as a depth player and is still struggling to establish his role or himself as player

- Tryamkin played 1 season as a depth D-man and hasn't been seen since, that was several years ago when we were just starting the dumpster fire years
- EDIT: Forsling has played NHL games... none for the Canucks, because he was traded for a nothing player.

What a concept.

lol

lol

So you rather have Eriksson than Tanev right now?

Well yeah, not anymore.

It'll only have taken 8 full seasons.

MG locked down players for long term because there was no cap at all.. this is news to you? How long did you think it would take and after contracts are closing you have to find players with that can fit together and play as a team for each other first, some teams are still stuck in that too but JB has put together a really good core and if you don't think that's time consuming and tricky at the best of times and you never know who is going to work out and who isn't and it's an educated guess and the great one Scotty bowman would tell you the same thing, he's said it before and it's true but as we get Podz and a top 4 D and our bottom 6 is cleared out except for the best ones who make it to 2 years from now will be our best bet and arguably our best team in years but hey it's just all that easy isn't it.. being a GM according to the CDC and media is just all that easy right? relax already... (take finger off panick button) and back away slowly...

3 hours ago, Tony Romo said:

One question. If ownership internally agrees to fire JB but still has no replacement. 

Would it be ideal for ownership to tell Jim Benning that he will be relieved of his duties after this season but also to prepare a transition plan until then? So that Benning can keep his job until the season ends while ownership can have time to find his replacement. That way once a new GM is found the transition between the two regimes will be smooth. 

1 hour ago, iceman64 said:

MG locked down players for long term because there was no cap at all.. this is news to you? How long did you think it would take and after contracts are closing you have to find players with that can fit together and play as a team for each other first, some teams are still stuck in that too but JB has put together a really good core and if you don't think that's time consuming and tricky at the best of times and you never know who is going to work out and who isn't and it's an educated guess and the great one Scotty bowman would tell you the same thing, he's said it before and it's true but as we get Podz and a top 4 D and our bottom 6 is cleared out except for the best ones who make it to 2 years from now will be our best bet and arguably our best team in years but hey it's just all that easy isn't it.. being a GM according to the CDC and media is just all that easy right? relax already... (take finger off panick button) and back away slowly...

The NHL salary cap was formally titled the "Upper Limit of the Payroll Range" in the new collective bargaining agreement. For the 2005–06 NHL season, the salary cap was set at US$39 million per team, with a maximum of US$7.8 million (20% of the team's cap) for a player.

With the firing of Vancouver Canucks general manager Dave Nonis at the end of the 2007–08 season, Gillis was introduced by the organization as Nonis' successor on April 23, 2008

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, notafanatic said:

The NHL salary cap was formally titled the "Upper Limit of the Payroll Range" in the new collective bargaining agreement. For the 2005–06 NHL season, the salary cap was set at US$39 million per team, with a maximum of US$7.8 million (20% of the team's cap) for a player.

With the firing of Vancouver Canucks general manager Dave Nonis at the end of the 2007–08 season, Gillis was introduced by the organization as Nonis' successor on April 23, 2008

oh right it was Nonis wasn't it... at any rate I swear the cap killed this team and yeah I remember that was the reason Luo was signed like he was... sorry some parts of the last 40 years blur into each other, not much has changed, I swear this team is cursed sometimes but at least we have an owner who doesn't mind spending up to the cap... all we can hope for now is JB pulling off bridge deals with Petey and Hughes so we have some more wiggle room to sign a top 4 D and if Podz works out as expected we're pretty much set... and in 2 seasons our depth will have experience, our younger guys too, so it's not happening as fast as we want it to but it'll happen, nothing to freak out over... 

Lots of people are suggesting that the rebuild is over. 

How many think it is over?

How many years do you think a rebuild should take?  ( starting with Bo)

Keep in mind that most teams get two NHL player per year through the draft. That is an average. 

( Not star players. A mix)

Edited by appleboy

Jim's drafted players who have played nhl games.

Demko

OJ

Boeser

Chatfield

Gaudette

Virtanen 

Tryamkin

Petey

Hughes

Hoglander

We expect Pod and there are still a few perking in the system. ( Lind)

There  have been a player or two traded that has played or will.   (McCann)

Edited by appleboy

I like what Benning's been doing to build this team into a contender.  We got a glimpse of it last playoffs. Looking ahead, losing Tanev and Marky was the way to go. Calgary fans are just as passionate as here and when things go south for our ex players we'll be watching. It may get pretty ugly. (Tan's injuries, or that one soft goal every game) Those savings are going to look much better on a great UFA from the next two seasons, 2021-2022 and 2022-2023  have great UFAs coming up.

We have Tryamkin's rights next year and he wants in, my guess is bridge pay @ 2M. Add another Calder contender ELC in Podz, and then add someone like Lind, Jasek or Lockwood for a bottom 6 role. Not to mention Mac, Bailey or Graovac solidifying a 3rd or 4th line role. We're going to be shedding some big contracts and adding a couple ELCs. Cap wise we'll be sitting pretty and I think we will still be pretty competitive.  

This 2020-2021 is only the third season without the Sedin's so Benning came in handcuffed to their legacy, and their big 4 year contracts at 54 Million. I think the rebuild should have started then,  when Kesler was traded. I mean if Gretz can get traded then I think the twins deserved to go to a contender. Then what the heck were we doing signing LE21 at 36 Million for some last hurrah for the twins? Then losing 2nd round picks like what Baers cost. 

I never ever did like the OJ pick. But as it turns out this could be his year. I think OJ has something to prove. And like they say better late than never. If he keeps playing like this it will take pressure of the other 5 D.

Good luck to the kid.

As far as the Benning hate I'm wondering if some people just never got over losing Gillis. And if it was AQ that wanted the twins to retire here then so be it, but it slowed down the rebuild, or retool of the team. Those last couple of seasons were hard to watch because they couldn't bring that Sedinery of old. But it is what it is. I liked the last game's teamwork and hoping that carries through the rest of the season. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

sounds like a dumb/obtuse question to me.

you posted a quote from Aquilini that Benning and Green would remain and continue to rething the team

that was three years ago.

And they're still here. 

And he repeated that last night.

what is it you believe that quote evidences?

I missed the statement that Linden would be remaining, before his departure....

The only relevence I can gather from your attempt to make a point - is that Linden is no longer here.   I may have opinions regarding Linden and his departure, but they're not particularly relevent.  He was given jurisdiction over hockey decisions - I suspect that may be been regeged upon - but I'm not a fly on the wall.  What I do know is that wasn't public domain - whereas these repeated votes of confidence in Benning and Green, are.

Not talking about Linden. That tweet was from when Linden left.

We were told we were getting a president in "due course". Unless almost 3 years and counting is due course.

On 2/13/2021 at 11:06 PM, oldnews said:

Making these statements  - and then walking another walk - would only undermine Aquilini's credibility.

11 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Fans of this team are toxic and negative.  It's pathetic.  Every time I log onto this forum now I leave feeling depressed, when the reason I log in is supposed to be to enjoy myself.

If you guys aren't happy, go watch something else.  Your constant bitching and crying is getting old.  Nobody owes you anything.  

I repeat,  if you're a negative fan and run your mouth 24/7 go watch something else and leave the fanbase.

Thank you for telling us how to live our lives. I really needed this from you and CDC today.

:frantic:

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I like what Benning's been doing to build this team into a contender.  We got a glimpse of it last playoffs. Looking ahead, losing Tanev and Marky was the way to go. Calgary fans are just as passionate as here and when things go south for our ex players we'll be watching. It may get pretty ugly. (Tan's injuries, or that one soft goal every game) Those savings are going to look much better on a great UFA from the next two seasons, 2021-2022 and 2022-2023  have great UFAs coming up.

We have Tryamkin's rights next year and he wants in, my guess is bridge pay @ 2M. Add another Calder contender ELC in Podz, and then add someone like Lind, Jasek or Lockwood for a bottom 6 role. Not to mention Mac, Bailey or Graovac solidifying a 3rd or 4th line role. We're going to be shedding some big contracts and adding a couple ELCs. Cap wise we'll be sitting pretty and I think we will still be pretty competitive.  

This 2020-2021 is only the third season without the Sedin's so Benning came in handcuffed to their legacy, and their big 4 year contracts at 54 Million. I think the rebuild should have started then,  when Kesler was traded. I mean if Gretz can get traded then I think the twins deserved to go to a contender. Then what the heck were we doing signing LE21 at 36 Million for some last hurrah for the twins? Then losing 2nd round picks like what Baers cost. 

I never ever did like the OJ pick. But as it turns out this could be his year. I think OJ has something to prove. And like they say better late than never. If he keeps playing like this it will take pressure of the other 5 D.

Good luck to the kid.

As far as the Benning hate I'm wondering if some people just never got over losing Gillis. And if it was AQ that wanted the twins to retire here then so be it, but it slowed down the rebuild, or retool of the team. Those last couple of seasons were hard to watch because they couldn't bring that Sedinery of old. But it is what it is. I liked the last game's teamwork and hoping that carries through the rest of the season. 

So many excellent points. 

As a long term fan I can comfortably say that Canuck ownership and managements have more often than not errored for the quick fix. I totally agree that the rebuild should have started back in 2012-13 season. As you rightfully pointed out the Aqualini's have consistently provided this org with money and commitment. In 50 years I have never seen the Canucks rebuild to the extent they have and continue to do. 

If I had a criticism it would be the lack of return for vets who have moved on. Traditionally that would not have happened but this is not unique to the Canucks. it started earlier than Covid. Younger players making NHL rosters have upset the evaluation process in the sense that management has to commit to them at far riskier assessment periods. Mistakes are inevitable. Combine that with NHL revenues being decimated by Covid. Instead of anticipated revenue gains and thusly CAP increases to offset longer duration player contracts the opposite has happened. LE21 would not have had the impact if not for Covid. Also bear in mind the lost financial impact of the renewed USA broadcast contracts. News is almost non-existent on how this is proceeding. It was anticipated that these contracts could add as much as $5 million per NHL team per year. 

I am big fan of what Benning has accomplished during his tenure. To an extent I think fans forget that NHL clubs are a business. The players are assets that have to be developed and evaluated as to their contribution to the goal of winning a CUP. It can appear cold hearted and manipulative at times but it reflects a reality. On the whole Benning has raised the stature of the Canucks in the hockey world. Like everyone within that world he is judged regularly. Staying the course towards the long term goal of a CUP is not easy. Fans screaming for changes often reflect a very short term outlook. You cannot run orgs like that. It smacks of how the org was ran for decades.   

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, aGENT said:

Straw man. He hired Benning to make the hockey decisions. He approved the direction, spending of money etc that you're complaining about.

Sure, but how does that mean Benning has done a good job?

No, it's not

Okay then maybe Facebook, as well? That wealth of hockey knowledge.

Point is, one 2-round play-in bubble playoff run (although nice for experience for the young core) doesn't have anything to do with the problems people have had with Benning's management.

And it's still not a long rebuild.

Nope. I don't think anyone could seriously say I've dodged anything here... I think I've been pretty patient, reasonable and forthright in fact.

See. There's the thing. You'll never actually put any sort of date or timeline or anything on it.

And then you'll say "rebuilds aren't linear".

And that way you can never be wrong, because really you're not saying anything at all.

Then what's the issue with the: '7 years! :frantic:'?

Because being terrible in year 7 isn't the same as being terrible in years 1, 2, 3?

A pretty normal age/games played for a lot of goalies. Where was Markstrom at the same point? Very few goalies Carter Hart or Carey Price their way in to the league at young age and dominate. And those guys are at another level.

Once again... Young core. Pretty sure I've pointed that out a couple times now... It's going to have ups, downs and require development. 

"ups, downs and require development" sounds like a developing prospect to me, not an established NHLer. What does Markstrom or any other goalie have to do with it?

Read Demko's stats again - those is not the stats of an established starting NHL player. Anything to the contrary is just ridiculous spin.

That's not all on him any more than its all on Holtby. The team has played like trash in front of both so far this year. That doesn't make them or the team trash. 

Never said he was trash?

Yeah, only 22 (not remotely old for a D prospect), good passing, vision, defensive play, killing penalties as a rookie etc. Sorry. 

Negative =\= 'logical'. I frankly think you're being anything but. My standards are quite high. I'm just not hyper focused on small sample sizes and small pictures. Again, I'm not thrilled they started the season paying like crap either. Nor that they'll likely miss the playoffs. But that doesn't mean I'm completely blind to the positives of the general direction and well being of the club long term.

Starting NHL development at "only 22" (23 in 3 months) when you're a 5th overall pick isn't something to write home about, sorry.

The guy picked in the draft after him has already been an impact player in the NHL for 4 seasons+ now.

Nothing against Juolevi (and honestly not even trying to take a shot at drafting here, even though I did lol) - my point is that if you're classifying a non-everyday depth player on a bad team as "damn good" you can't also claim you have high standards. It's an oxymoron.

You do realize that you can only play 6 F's in the top 6, right? 4 D in the top 4. 

They don't need to be 'impact' guys. We have our core, for the most part, to do that. We largely need complimentary and depth pieces. It's not meant to be 'impressive'. It doesn't need to be. It needs to be deep with guys to battle and rise to the top. Precisely what it is. If a 'impact' guy comes out of there, it's gravy.

Yeah, and what's your point? Prospects that are never going to make the NHL / make it as fringe non-everyday players are again, nothing to write home about. You can pick up a dozen of these guys off free agency for scraps every off-season.

Again, not long for a rebuild. And I'm glad we both agree he has in fact rebuilt most of the roster and in excellent time! Yes he gets 'credit'. It could be a lot worse and he could not have in fact rebuilt the roster, as many of you seem to suggest/whinge about.

Another one of my favorites "It could be a lot worse"... lol love the standards.

"he could not have in fact rebuild the roster"?

Again, pretty much everyone he inherited has retired or was let go for nothing. Only Edler and Horvat remain. How is it anyway possible he didn't rebuild the roster? What was he going to do? Not ice a team every year?

So are we giving him credit for simply... icing a team?

So a normal development trajectory for a goalie. How long did Hoglander take? Lind is also on a pretty normal development path etc, etc..:bored:

Bolded was not my point at all. I'm talking about Benning's drafting record in the 2nd round.

Really none of what you said refutes the point? Not sure where you're going.

So again, pretty normal. And again like half of his drafts haven't even had the time under a normal development path to even make the NHL. Shocking they haven't so far. Yeah..a third or 4th rounder from two years ago is probably a couple years off, IF they rise to the top. Shocking.

In year 7 though, remember.

Straw man....

Again, Eriksson is the only contract people rightfully can bitch about. He/it sucks. 

How is it strawman? You said there was no opportunity cost lost. Opportunity cost is the potential gain of an alternative route. We could literally have any one of Markstrom or Toffoli or Tanev still if we didn't have Eriksson. And that's just Eriksson.

Hamonic though. Unfortunate ones been injured

Shocker.

Almost like it was planned or something...

Would love to see the Benning quote where he said it was all part of the plan to have our cap sorted out and ready to go in season 9 of the rebuild.