The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Montreal fires goaltending coach Waite and hire Sean Burke

Rate this topic

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hey, Corey, something you just did or did not do, during the game got a coach fired. Well done.?

He says the decision was made earlier in the day but decided to wait until the game started to avoid distractions. Also. It’s Stephane Waite. Not Corey 

Edited by qwijibo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Squamfan said:

But can Sean Burke speak French? That's the bigger question

As I mentioned before (more than once probably lol), it's not enough to win over in Montreal.  Al MacNeill was an anglo rookie head coach for the Habs & won the Cup the first year he was behind the bench in that capacity.  Was demoted/fired the following off-season.  Replaced by the legendary, but more important, fluently bilingual, Scotty Bowman.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

dunno Q, anyone that treats PK that way after the guy commits 10 million to the community.... he sure strikes me as an asshat. 

Price has certainly earned the right to ask for a new coach if he wants one tho. 

Well if he is, he's a smart asshat, look at where PK and Weber are today.  I always said that deal was good short term for Montreal, but turned out it was good long-term too.

When asked if that requested by Price or consulted with Price, he said the day he consult his players on GMs move, that's the day he's out the door because as a GM he's paid to make the big decision and not asked his players for advice.

So clearly a GM move, but I don't think Price will cry over it.  He clearly needs help.  Waite was a big help for Price when he came in, but I think 8-9 years later, a change should do him some good.  I mean if Federer and Tiger can have multiples coaches during the prime of their career why not Price.

• Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

• 2 weeks later...