The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meghan & Harry & Oprah

UnkNuk

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I wonder why Page hasn't had more of a career post Led Zeppelin. Plant clearly has, and Jones (Baldwin) has as well, but Page has had a fairly quiet career in comparison. 

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

He's been fairly quiet, but there have been a few things...There was the collaboration with Coverdale that @Gnarcore mentioned, as well as a couple of post-Zeppelin projects with Plant.

The one that could have been great was XYZ, which was supposed to be Page with former Yes men, Chris Squire and Alan White. They wanted Plant to be the singer, but he begged off and the project faded away....

Page was the creative force behind LZ. He didn't just write the vast majority of the music but was integral in the recording and mastering of those albums. He did some stuff early on after but later felt like he should be more the steward of Led Zeppelin.  Plus he really got into heroin for awhile....

He spent years putting together the Led Zeppelin DVD and remastering the entire catalogue. Plus....how do you reach those highs again after Led &^@#in' Zeppelin...  ;) 

Led-Zeppelin-DVD-2003-2-Disc-Set

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Jimmy Page is why I learned to play guitar. I love it all..but Bron Y Aur Stomp is pretty hard to beat! 

Thanks for posting. I was never able to see them live, (comes from growing up 500 miles from Vancouver) but I was a big fan and yes, Jimmy was the guy who got me started playing guitar as well. I imagine we could start a club.

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen footage of Bonzo singing either....very cool...(too bad the technology of the day wasn't up to the task of giving us better sound on that acoustic)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

This thread is now about actual British royalty: Led Zeppelin....Pink Floyd, Cream and Queen may also be mentioned. 

The odd Philistine might just throw the Beatles into that mix as well....B)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Page was the creative force behind LZ. He didn't just write the vast majority of the music but was integral in the recording and mastering of those albums. He did some stuff early on after but later felt like he should be more the steward of Led Zeppelin.  Plus he really got into heroin for awhile....

He spent years putting together the Led Zeppelin DVD and remastering the entire catalogue. Plus....how do you reach those highs again after Led &^@#in' Zeppelin...  ;) 

Led-Zeppelin-DVD-2003-2-Disc-Set

He also did It Might Get Loud with Jack White.  Loved it.

Zeppelin was my band growing up....was obsessed with them.  I bought their complete songbook to "learn how to play" guitar.  Did not lol.  Also got this book from my ex 100 years ago.

image.png

image.png

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Zeppelin was my band growing up....was obsessed with them.  I bought their complete songbook to "learn how to play" guitar.  Did not lol.  Also got this book from my ex 100 years ago.

image.png

image.png

I remember that book....I couldn't look at it without thinking of Pez....

Pez Candy Refills - 49.3g | London Drugs

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Thanks for posting. I was never able to see them live, (comes from growing up 500 miles from Vancouver) but I was a big fan and yes, Jimmy was the guy who got me started playing guitar as well. I imagine we could start a club.

Also, I'm not sure I've ever seen footage of Bonzo singing either....very cool...(too bad the technology of the day wasn't up to the task of giving us better sound on that acoustic)

To even get that footage was a massive task. It was lost...but some stoner working in the archives knew where it all was. Jimmy himself showed up to track it all down at CBS I think. The stoner was a massive LZ fan and knew where it was hidden away! But then it wasn't playable so they had to bake it in ceramic ovens just right 

And yup...it would be a massive club lol! 

EDIT: If you haven't seen that DVD where that clip is from find it online. Page hated Song Remains the Same so made it his mission to show LZ at their best live.  

Edited by Gnarcore

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

image.png

I've seen it. I actually really dislike U2 but more cuz Bono is a giant hypocrite douche bag. I can respect Edge.  

8 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I've seen it. I actually really dislike U2 but more cuz Bono is a giant hypocrite douche bag. I can respect Edge.  

I always think of this story about him hitch hiking (car broke down?) in relation to Bono...

He is a worldwide rock star known as well for his music as he is for his enthusiastic attempts to save the world.

But U2 frontman Bono showed he is not averse to receiving the occasional bit of charity either, when he was picked up from the side of the road in West Vancouver in the pouring rain.

Canadian ice hockey player Gilbert Brule spotted the singer while driving with his girlfriend and gave him a lift in the back of their car snuggled in by the couple's pet dog - a gesture which earned Brule free concert tickets and a shout out from the rock star at his gig.

Brule, 24, was being driven to a park by his girlfriend, Kelsey Nichols, to take their German Shepherd for a walk when the hockey player was convinced he saw Bono with his hand out by the side of the road.

While Nichols at first refused to believe the world famous 51-year-old would be hitchhiking, she was eventually convinced by Brule to turn around and pick him up.

'I didn't want to stop, but they waved and [Gilbert] yelled: "That's Bono,"' Nichols told the Edmonton Journal. 'I didn't believe him so I kept driving.'

When they eventually turned around, they found Bono and an assistant still waiting by the roadside.

The Irish rockstar sat in the back with the dog and chatted to the couple about ice hockey, Dublin and his love for Vancouver.

To thank the couple for the lift, Bono offered them backstage tickets to see U2 play in Edmonton.

At the gig, the rock star signed their passes with the messages 'My hero Gilbert' and 'thanks for the ride', according to the Journal.

Bono then interrupted the gig to tell the story of how he was saved from the rain.

He told the crowd: 'I like ice hockey because people who play ice hockey are the kind of people who pick up hitchhikers.

'I know this from personal experience because I was hitchhiking in Vancouver just yesterday[...]

'Kelsey, his girlfriend, she was driving, and Gilbert, they picked up this Irish hitchhiker and I'm ever so grateful, I've decided that now I want to be Gilbert Brule. I do.'

Brule simply said: 'We go to walk our dog and Bono ends up in our car.'

5 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Saw Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Division Bell tour.

When Gilmour played Comfortably Numb. That was it. My life was complete. Tears of Joy. 

Thunderbird Stadium? If so was there also! Have tix to next Roger Waters tour...

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Saw Pink Floyd without Roger Waters. Division Bell tour.

When Gilmour played Comfortably Numb. That was it. My life was complete. Tears of Joy. 

One of my all-time favourite songs! Also a fantastic version on The Wall, Live in Berlin.

“The child is grown, the dream is gone. I...have become comfortably numb.”  

For most of us that is our life story. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Thunderbird Stadium? If so was there also! Have tix to next Roger Waters tour...

BC Place. When they did Shine on you crazy Diamond. A huge mirror ball opened up in the middle of the stadium. Then opened like a flower and had like a diamond shaped light. The crowd went nuts. Just like the inflatable pigs when they did One of These Days.