The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Meghan & Harry & Oprah

UnkNuk

2 hours ago, Cerridwen said:

People need to just leave this young family alone. Society seems to love nothing more than to build people up to only take great glee in tearing them down again. Surely there are more important things for people to be concerned about than what Harry, Meghan and family choose to do with their lives. They have every right to renounce the royal life and live their lives out of the fishbowl. Will society not be happy until they've destroyed them much as they did Harry's mother? Sad...just bloody sad that people have nothing better to do than tear people down just because of the colour of their skin, their birthright or the temerity of some who marry into the royal family.

Sometimes you just can't blame society..

Why decided Meghan & Harry to have this interview with Oprah?

They could have decided to live their lives without being in the limelight. .... Life is all about the choices you make... Both, Meghan & Harry should seriously think about this.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3
  • RoughGame 1

35 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

They could have decided to live their lives without being in the limelight. .... Life is all about the choices you make... Both, Meghan & Harry should seriously think about this.

Edited by Dazzle

As a Brit and life-long supporter of the monarchy, this was terrible to watch. Harry is beloved by the entire nation - or was, until he moved to America - and this interview provides reasons to both sympathise with him and Meghan, and to question their actions and integrity. Thoughts:

- Whoever made the comments about Archie's skin colour should be named, and relieved of Royal duties; rumours are that it may have been Prince Philip (although there is no evidence to support that theory other than it would fit with his history of inappropriate comments). but not naming who it was simply hurts Harry's 99 year-old grandfather who is not doing well in hospital. This is the most damaging part of the interview for me and it is so upsetting to see and hear things like this in 2021. I don't blame Meghan one bit for being upset, this would rankle with me for a lifetime were I her.

- If Meghan did ask for mental health help and was refused, that is simply awful. I also feel like it's not a great look for Harry - he didn't help her anyway, family be damned. We'll likely never know the full story but he doesn't look good in that segment and it's being glossed over due to the bigger story at hand.

- It's great that Harry still has a good and close relationship with his grandmother.

- I found it immensely hypocritical for one spouse to say 'my father let me down, he needs to make amends', while the other spouse says 'my father let me down, I won't let him make amends'. There was no mention of Meghan's family during this interview - to introduce that thorny topic would have shown another side to this tragic story - and so it is hard to feel sorry for Harry when his own wife refuses to let her father into her life.

- It looks like the relationship between William and Harry may be irreparable, which is so sad after everything they've been through together.

- No-one in the UK was aware that Harry and Meghan married in secret three days before the big public wedding. Had we all known, I doubt there would have been such celebration as the £32m cost of the wedding had been debated for months in advance and to now know it wasn't even a real wedding, that is a tremendous let down to the people of the UK. I'm not saying that's their fault at all, but that the detail of the secret wedding should have stayed just that - a secret.

- It was worth the cost just to see that epic Michael Curry speech.

- The entire UK was, as far as I could tell, wholly supportive of Harry and Meghan right up until the week of the royal wedding. It was literally that week when the first seeds of doubt started creeping into the wider subconscious - stories of 'what Meghan wants, Meghan gets', making Kate cry (which may still have happened, she did say that Kate was upset and made her cry - perhaps both are true), and the awful story of her father. That one week did a lot of damage to Harry and Meghan and ever since then they have been on a slippery slope. If there were ever to be an accident whereby we lost HM, Charles, William and all three of his kids, King Ralph style, and Harry was heir presumptive, I believe most of the UK at that point would call for the abolition of the monarchy. It's reached those levels here.

The overall story is sadly that a very nice young, modern woman married into a secretive, historic family, and to a nice young man who has always struggled to carve out his own identity. That only ever works out in Netflix Christmas films sadly.

I sincerely hope that after the dust settles on this in the days and weeks to come, that they do find the happiness that they are looking for.t

Oh, and that Andrew is finally exposed and investigated as he deserves.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

I haven't seen the interview but, from what was reported, I think there are some things that needed to be said specifically on the topic on the skin color of Meghan's and Harry's child and the repercussions that followed.

This exposes the blatant racism within the Royal Family and institution in an almost pre 1900's way.  The Royal Family, because of their apparent birth right, still plays a role in the political affairs and still get millions from Tax Payers to support their lifestyle. So to have a parliament with a someone from a racist institution as the head of state and regular people paying to pay for it is something of a big concern. 

• Cheers 2

56 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

This exposes the blatant racism within the Royal Family and institution in an almost pre 1900's way.

No, it doesn't. It exposes the blatant racism within one individual within the Royal Family. No-one comes away from this believing everyone in the Royal Family to be racist, only that there is one particular individual who is. Anyone peddling anything other than that has their own agenda. It would be the equivalent of saying that every player on the Rangers is a racist because Tony DeAngelo is.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Azzy said:

No, it doesn't. It exposes the blatant racism within one individual within the Royal Family. No-one comes away from this believing everyone in the Royal Family to be racist, only that there is one particular individual who is. Anyone peddling anything other than that has their own agenda. It would be the equivalent of saying that every player on the Rangers is a racist because Tony DeAngelo is.

Nice comparison except for DeAngelo it's him who is out of the Rangers organization, in the Royal Family it's Markel and Harry both having no choice but to cut ties. So be it that it's one, two or ten people I think its safe to say which side the Royal Family took here or who they are trying to protect. Plus let's not forget that smear campaign of the Royal Family making it seem like she bullied her Palace aides. 

Edited by iinatcc

3 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

You've heard about Diana, right?

"Duped"?   I think maybe you've been duped by lumping all "celebrities" into one category and judging based on that.  

You assign "celebrity" to a human being and label according.... but really she's just a person who fell in love and now has a child....she doesn't want to become another "victim".  I think you're maybe missing the point here.   They're actually wanting to back away from celebrity culture...as it poses very real threat and danger to their family.  I guess you have to be a parent to understand that....nothing in the world is more important.

Someone who is trying to reach out because "she doesn't want to live anymore" is worth listening to.  I feel like you're jaded and are missing the very real narrative here - desperation isn't fun.   Royals or not...these two felt desperate.  Abandoned.  Isolated.  Celebrity status doesn't make people immune to those things.

You don't always "pick" who  you fall for in this life...sometimes it just happens and you try your best to navigate the waters that come with that but no one has to stand for bad treatment.  She's not a victim because a victim would stay stuck and quiet.  It takes courage to do what they've done and I applaud them.   No one has to live under those conditions...and I'd trade it all in too if that was the price that came with the title.

"Making fun of" is a little different than racist death threats.

You assign "celebrity" to a human being and label according.... but really she's just a person who fell in love and now has a child

You don't always "pick" who  you fall for in this life...sometimes it just happens

no idea why you're giving so much emotional credence these cartoonish people. i obviously disagree, and i'll go so far as to say you cannot isolate the individual from the royal family, it's a transcendent position. 

this isn't about falling in love with a janitor or a lawyer and dealing with the associated circumstances. it's about putting on a $10,000 gown one day, then going on a humanitarian mission to Botswana the next. the absurdity lies in the fact that she signed up to be a representative of the very thing that helped create the class divides she symbolically pretends to bridge. at the end of the day a 'progressive' duchess is still a duchess

in other words, meghan signed up to be on the team that sits at the peak, the literal peak, of western privilege, but still she wants to be an independent girl and create her own media empire in the wings "away from celebrity culture," only putting on her crown and walking through the great halls from time to time.

honestly, the fact that one of the 150-year-old skeletons jittering around the castle said something racist isn't surprising at all. let's be real dude, those halls and her very crown are relics of imperialism, colonialism, racism, privilege, and elitism and so on. the question i have is when and where do these convictions and emotions of hers kick in?

Celebrity status doesn't make people immune to those things.

quite the contrary, celebrity status perpetuates those things

in other words...

No one has to live under those conditions

you're absolutely right. and yet some people sign up for it.

You try too hard.

some don't try hard enough

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

Best thing about them was when they pissed off from Canada. What a god damn waste of tax payers money for those months they moved to the island and we had to provide them 24/7 security because of "royalty".  Piss off Royal Family, you got money, spend your own damn money.  Sooner we dump that dumb monarch the better.

I think it's fair to say that Meghan should have known what she was getting into, as far as the controlling manner of "the Institution" goes, but I think it's also fair that she would not have expected to the overt racism she experienced as well....

It's one thing for someone inside the institution to talk about the colour of Archie's skin, but that's only part of it. The British press was all over Meghan from the beginning and she got no support from the Institution whatsoever.

AS far as who made who cry, I don't really care, but I think we should bear in mind how the Institution circled the wagons around Randy Andy and then ask ourselves if they would leak a fake story about the less popular Duchess to the Daily Mail....

• Thanks 1

1.  Harry didn't "choose" this life, he was born into it 

2.  He lost his mother to the very vultures now swooping in for his wife (and child)

3.  No matter how awful the entire system is, he is but a bi-product of it, not the creator (or even a supporter)

4.  She (like me) really didn't understand the inner workings of things, which are allegedly racist and cruel (imagine feeling suicidal, wanting mental health help and being denied access to it....even forbidden...as it "won't look good")

5.  They did the interview to expose some of this - I, for one, applaud them for having the courage to do so.  If you don't expose the stuff that is intended to be kept quiet it generally is.  And you'd better believe there is likely great risk in doing so.  But that was already present...so now it's all out there.

6.  I don't follow them but watched the interview by accident and did feel empathy .... knowing how Diana met her faith, can't imagine that Harry now has to worry about his wife and child too.  Think of this from a compassionate viewpoint, not a political one.

7.  Those adopting a "poor spoiled rich folk" attitude don't realize that these ARE human beings and taking steps to get away from the very thing you (and I) hate. 

8.  She didn't choose "this life"....she "chose" a partner in life.  He happened to come with that baggage (even if diamond encrusted).  Not all women who marry into $$ are gold diggers.  

9.  They were getting death threats (based on racism and what psychopaths view as "betrayal") and that's what led to their decisions....which seem to be based on....protecting their children from harm.  So sure, slam them for that.  The racism they are experiencing was going to put their son at potential risk with no protection.  As a parent, I can't think of any better reason than to sound the alarms on that. 

Imagine talking about a baby and "worrying" that his skin would be "too dark" in this day and age.  And basing decisions on and singling him out that way?  They weren't accepting of that....would you be?

Women seem to be easy targets in all  of this criticism.   It's their fault, except that's the very thinking that supports this institution.  Proper behaviour is anything but.   

Anyhow...not going to invest much more time on this...wish them well and hope they do stay safe.  Let them live their damn lives....the way they choose, not the ones mapped out for them.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Oh right this aired tonight.

Couldn't care less. Meghan should have known what she is getting herself into. It ain't no secret how the royal family controls everything and how brutal the British tabloids are.

Totally agree.  And, the last place you want to be if you are begging to be left alone is on National tv (Oprah).  Before you consider getting married you should always check out who the in-laws are going to be (lol).

Gotta say that I was glad to hear how both of them stood up for Liz....

I know most people around here don't like the Monarchy, but as long as she is the Queen, I'm not one of them. When Big Ears takes over, I might change my mind. (too bad they can't just skip him and go straight to William)

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Tyndall2 said:

Totally agree.  And, the last place you want to be if you are begging to be left alone is on National tv (Oprah).  Before you consider getting married you should always check out who the in-laws are going to be (lol).

Maybe.

Or maybe if you really love someone, you say to yourself, "Well, I've heard some less than positive things, but I'll give it a chance for his sake". Then, if you decide it's all to much you say, "I gave it a chance, but I just can't stay this close to his family. I'd think I'd like some distance"....

I wonder why Meghan didn't think of that? :unsure: Oh, wait....

• Cheers 1

I could care less about the royal family and even less for these two who appear to want their cake and eat it too. The Royal family is all about selling themselves. Markle was in that business in Hollywood, the height of prostitution. Spare me the tears. I would have had more respect if they had said nothing and simply gone about the task of building an independent life. Of course they did not and will gratefully cash Oprah’s check. 

• Thanks 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Nice comparison except for DeAngelo it's him who is out of the Rangers organization, in the Royal Family it's Markel and Harry both having no choice but to cut ties. So be it that it's one, two or ten people I think its safe to say which side the Royal Family took here or who they are trying to protect. Plus let's not forget that smear campaign of the Royal Family making it seem like she bullied her Palace aides. 

Tony D is still employed by and paid by the Rangers.

There was no inference by Meghan that wider family members were involved, only that one specific individual raised concerns. That individual deserves to be outed, publicly shamed and expelled from the family but to use such an inflammatory brush against dozens of people with zero evidence, I don't think that's fair and it's also not what the victim said.

Yes, they have vast wealth. Despite this, Harry has spent time in the British Army, serving both in Iraq and Afghanastan. There are lots of charities the royal family have chosen to support. I am torn on how much subsidy they get. However the various palaces are many times open to the public, and belong to the UK as much as the royal family. 

A family that big you are bound to get some degenerates. Harry's Great Granduncle fell for an American, and had to resign the title of king because she was "gasp!" divorced. 

Which probably was for the best as there was whispers there was pro-Nazi sentiment with those two. 

We are getting one side of the story. Yes, she signed up to be in the fishbowl. I don't think anyone can tell you how insane it is though.

What I don't get is they can work with lots of existing charities, they don't have to start their own. 

Heck, Harry can be an air ambulance pilot as he's qualified to fly helicopters. The more they stay out of the spotlight, probably the better it will be for them. 

The UK tabloids (heck even the US ones) gobble this stuff up. And it makes them money. 

Edited by Ghostsof1915

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I sincerely thought COVID-19 would bring the death of celebrity culture as a whole -- the Imagine singalong fiasco, for example, surely highlighted the tremendous gulf that exists between  these class structures in a comical yet painful way, NO? Instead, celebrity worship has managed to reverse the public sensibility and utilize victim culture for self preservation.

You seem to be one of its biggest fans. You are hyper aware of what they are doing, and seemed to get really engaged with that video that you somehow believed would end all celebrity culture.