The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Line combinations when Pettersson returns?

Rate this topic

Patel Bure

Line combinations when Pettersson returns?

Our current line configuration is working like a charm and so it would be a little silly if we reverted back to the way things were when Pettersson comes back.....right?   So how would we go about things?

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

MacEwen-Pettersson-Gaudette

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Sutter

I put MacEwen with Petey here because MacEwen has size, speed, and traces of untapped offensive potential in my opinion.  I’d be willing to give this a look.  If it bombs however, then switch MacEwen and Sutter.

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • Sad 1

If Green actually decides to keep the Miller line the same, I'd want Pettersson to play on Bo's wing.

Putting EP on a separate line definitely gives us some amazing depth down the middle but the wingers are stretched way too thin.

• Cheers 2

Got a feeling Green goes back to what he liked before - having Pettersson and Horvat as the top Cs, Miller back on the wing. Juolevi and MacEwen getting rusty. 

I just hope this old way doesn't go back to producing losses again

• Cheers 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Got a feeling Green goes back to what he liked before - having Pettersson and Horvat as the top Cs, Miller back on the wing. Juolevi and MacEwen getting rusty. 

I just hope this old way doesn't go back to producing losses again

Probably, based on past tendencies. I think Green will feel that Petey has earned his spot, respect him as a star player, and will return him to the 1C and move Miller back to the wing, reuniting the Lotto line and also the 2nd line of Pears-Bo-Hogs.

That said, I would kind of enjoy seeing them leave the current top-6 untouched, and slot Petey into the Michaelis spot at 3LW, just to see what might happen running with that kind of a balanced and deep top-9, even if the talent is spread a bit thin. 

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If Green actually decides to keep the Miller line the same, I'd want Pettersson to play on Bo's wing.

Putting EP on a separate line definitely gives us some amazing depth down the middle but the wingers are stretched way too thin.

Great points.    

I’m just wondering if Petey would have it in him to bring out the best in MacEwen and Gaudette.  Assuming that our current top 6 (with Petey injury) remains in tact, then MacEwen and Gaudette are likely the guys with the most offensive potential out of the rest of the guys.  

Gaudette is starting to play better with his diet returning to normal + him transitioning to his better suited winged position.   And while MacEwen has struggled at times this year, he does have some size, speed, and offensive instincts that’s seemingly waiting to be unleashed.    

A line of MacEwen-Pettersson-Gaudette likely wouldn’t get attention from the top pairings/shut down lines of other teams and so this could serve as a great opportunity for Pettersson to “bring out the best” in Gaudette and MacEwen.....and if that happened, we would have three solid lines just like most of the top teams in the league do.

3 minutes ago, dm_ranger said:

Pearson -- Horvat -- Sutter

Hog  -- Miller  -- Gaudette

Virtanen -- Petey -- Boeser

Motte -- Beagle -- MacEwen

Going with pairs +1

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Great points.    

I’m just wondering if Petey would have it in him to bring out the best in MacEwen and Gaudette.  Assuming that our current top 6 (with Petey injury) remains in tact, then MacEwen and Gaudette are likely the guys with the most offensive potential out of the rest of the guys.  

Gaudette is starting to play better with his diet returning to normal + him transitioning to his better suited winged position.   And while MacEwen has struggled at times this year, he does have some size, speed, and offensive instincts that’s seemingly waiting to be unleashed.    

A line of MacEwen-Pettersson-Gaudette likely wouldn’t get attention from the top pairings/shut down lines of other teams and so this could serve as a great opportunity for Pettersson to “bring out the best” in Gaudette and MacEwen.....and if that happened, we would have three solid lines just like most of the top teams in the league do.

Possibly later in the year......

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Gaudette

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Motte-Beagle-Sutter

Edited by DarkIndianRises

4 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Great points.    

I haven't seen enough from MacEwan to suggest he's an everyday player let alone be on the wing with a player we're expecting/hoping to produce PPG type numbers.

Pettersson needs help. It'll help Horvat, too.

Pettersson makes those around him better but he's not a miracle worker, either.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I haven't seen enough from MacEwan to suggest he's an everyday player let alone be on the wing with a player we're expecting/hoping to produce PPG type numbers.

Pettersson needs help. It'll help Horvat, too.

Pettersson makes those around him better but he's not a miracle worker, either.

I had mentioned this idea a few months back but I’m wondering if an “all eggs in one basket” approach could work?

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser     
Hoglander-Miller-Virtanen

Now that we know that Miller can play center, you could use just use him with Hoglander and Virtanen on a second line.  

I liked @Elias Petterson’s idea from above as well (same as mine about but keep Boeser with the Miller line and put JV with BoHo and Petey).

50 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Not if you play EP as a winger ...

47 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

When Petey and Motte return I would do this:

Pettersson  Horvat   Virtanen

Hoglander   Miller     Boeser

Pearson      Sutter     Gaudette

Motte          Beagle    Hawryluk

I'd do this.

EP Horvat JV

Hogs Miller BB

Motte Sutter Gods

Pearson Beagles .... LE 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I'd do this.

EP Horvat JV

Hogs Miller BB

Motte Sutter Gods

Pearson Beagles .... LE 

That 4th line would get eaten alive.  Motte and Hawryluk on the 4th line would bring us a great energy 4th line that can still be dangerous in the offensive zone.  Motte and Hawryluk would be great playing together on the 4th line.  I do not want Loui anywhere near the rink, nevermind the 4th line...

10 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I had mentioned this idea a few months back but I’m wondering if an “all eggs in one basket” approach could work?

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser     
Hoglander-Miller-Virtanen

That's not too much different than what we were doing before EP went down.

Really the thing is, we need better #5/6/7/8/9 forwards so that we can can actually form an effective 3rd line instead of the mishmash of spare parts we ice every game that we claim to be a "bottom-6".

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

That 4th line would get eaten alive.  Motte and Hawryluk on the 4th line would bring us a great energy 4th line that can still be dangerous in the offensive zone.  Motte and Hawryluk would be great playing together on the 4th line.  I do not want Loui anywhere near the rink, nevermind the 4th line...

Motte and Hawryluk. The little line/engine that could. 

• Cheers 2