The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Getting the Right Hand Defenseman we need..........(discussion)

2 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

I think so lol i dunno who else it can be

Ya, not a lot there to protect.  If Holtby had a better year I could see Seattle liking him.  But he’s only got one year left, and for a pretty big cap hit.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If JB can get a guy, who another team can’t protect, who is better than Hamonic he’s got to look at that, especially if the cost is low.  I wonder if we protect OJ?

That is good in theory but I have for months been thinking of possible targets that are both better than what we already have and at a similar cost. Try and name one?

Also remember that although you say the other team may lose that Dman to Seattle “for nothing”, if they trade him to VAN for cheap then they are also going to lose the next best player to SEA. Net result is they lose 2 good players with little in return. Most teams will choose to just lose the one Dman to Seattle and leave it at that.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Ya, not a lot there to protect.  If Holtby had a better year I could see Seattle liking him.  But he’s only got one year left, and for a pretty big cap hit.  

And Holtbys salary is also a big deterrent - he is owed $5.7m in real cash next season

• Like 1

Our cap situation needs to be factored into this discussion on upgrading our D. And also we need to consider that our forwards need attention too, in particular our 3C.

I project that, without any major moves, we will have about $7.8m in cap space for next season in order to sign a 3C and two Dmen.

Assumptions are:

- Resign EP ($7), QH ($6), OJ ($1), Podz ($0.925), Lind ($1m)

- Buy out LE + JV, waive Roussel

- Seattle selects Gadjovich

- Ferland is on LTIR

Roster (with gaps shown as ???) is $7.8m below cap limit, per capfriendly:

Miller EP Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hoglander

Motte ??? Podz

Highmore Beagle MacEwen

(Lind)

??? Schmidt

Hughes ???

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Holtby)

So with $7.8m of space and looking at potential contracts shown by @Petey_BOI from capfriendly, we are not going to be able to sign for example Larsson + Wennberg + Savard. It will cost too much.

I think it is more likely we fill those 3 gaps over the next two off seasons as our cap space frees up.

For example, maybe we aim for Larsson as our big ticket item this off-season, for say $4m x 4 years. This leaves $3.8m so we sign our next best affordable options, maybe Hamonic ($2m x 1 year) and Sutter ($1.8 x 2 years).

In 2022-23 we will have space to add upgrades. Maybe sign a UFA RHD and 3C from...

RHD: Seth Jones, Parayko, Pulock, Lindholm

3C: Jenner, Tierney, Paul, Sturm

Possible lineup 2022-23:

Miller EP Boeser

Hoglander Horvat Podz

Pearson Tierney Lind

Highmore Sutter Motte

(MacEwen, Jasek)

Hughes Jones

Schmidt Larsson

Juolevi Myers

(Rathbone)

Demko (Backup)

• Cheers 2

signing Sutter for more than one year is insane after the anchor he was for most of his contract. 

We can trade Ferland to a team that needs the LTIR space, he's never playing again. Seattle will not pick Gadjovich over Holtby, that's just a waste of a pick when they can probably flip Holtby at the deadline for a 3rd. That's what they'll have to look into the first couple of years even though they're going to come away with a crazy haul with all that cap space. Chicago can't trade Seabrook anymore but they'll still be able to take on a couple of bad, short-term contracts to wrack up the amount of picks they're going to have. Vegas scored Glass, Suzuki and Brannstrom in their first draft. They got their best player, Mark Stone, in a trade which included Brannstrom. Glass is the future of their team right now and they traded Suzuki for Pacioretty, which turned out to be a terrible trade. However, Pacioretty fits in with the age group of the rest of their core.

Ironically, even though Seattle won't be picking a player from Vegas I suspect the two could be good trade partners. Vegas could use some of Seattle's cap space to free them of the Marc-Andre Fleury contract, which would give them an opportunity to add a player like Taylor Hall that fits in the age with their core group. That's the only way I see Vegas making another big run after this year as their team is kind of old. Vegas won't trade Krebs or Glass, that'd be incredibly foolish but they could part with a guy like Hague or their 1st rounder this year. 

I wanted to say something else. For everyone here that thinks they've planned who they'll be targeting in 2023, that's nuts, nobody operates that way. How the hell do they know who will be available in two years. Do you know how badly everybody is going to get fleeced by Seattle in this next expansion draft? I mean seriously. Minnesota is set to lose a really good player, so is Tampa quite frankly so are all the deep teams in the NHL. If they pick the right players, they could have a better outlook than us in no time. We're talking about a star player like Wright or Bedard being candidates to play there. and that's AFTER this year's draft and the expansion draft. There's some unbelievable playoff battles coming to the Pacific Northwest, I'll tell you that.

Getting back to the topic of the thread, there's no way we're going to be very good next year. All those terrible contracts with Ferland(even though he's on LTIR forever) and Myers locked up for the considerable future, next year may be a difficult one in Canuck land. Once these contracts go, we'll have more flexibility to make this a competitive team. But we're going to have to bleed for one more year, look how long it took in Edmonton, Colorado, Florida, etc. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Seattle will not pick Gadjovich over Holtby, that's just a waste of a pick when they can probably flip Holtby at the deadline for a 3rd

So you think that Seattle picks Holtby, pays him $5.7m for most of one year just so they can take the chance of trying to trade him for a 3rd round pick, when they instead could pick a 2nd round power forward prospect that has developed nicely into a potential NHL player.

All that under the backdrop of a league where cap space is the most valuable commodity. 

I do understand your thinking but I don’t agree that they select Holtby from VAN. Most likely a cheap guy that has some potential upside.

1 minute ago, BigTramFan said:

So you think that Seattle picks Holtby, pays him $5.7m for most of one year just so they can take the chance of trying to trade him for a 3rd round pick, when they instead could pick a 2nd round power forward prospect that has developed nicely into a potential NHL player.

All that under the backdrop of a league where cap space is the most valuable commodity. 

I do understand your thinking but I don’t agree that they select Holtby from VAN. Most likely a cheap guy that has some potential upside.

What other goalie is available? Jack Campbell maybe? Chris Driedger? Florida will have to protect Bobrovsky, who is an absolute scrub. Maybe Florida can compile a package good enough to get that Bobrovsky contract off the books. Tallon put together two really impressive teams in Chicago and Florida, it's a shame he probably won't get another chance. 

7 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

What other goalie is available? Jack Campbell maybe? Chris Driedger? Florida will have to protect Bobrovsky, who is an absolute scrub. Maybe Florida can compile a package good enough to get that Bobrovsky contract off the books. Tallon put together two really impressive teams in Chicago and Florida, it's a shame he probably won't get another chance. 

all the ufa goalies are available too. they have 48 hour exclusivity before draft. if they can come to a agrrement,they can draft them.

seattle could draft ovechkin and hamilton

1 minute ago, Petey_BOI said:

all the ufa goalies are available too. they have 48 hour exclusivity before draft. if they can come to a agrrement,they can draft them.

seattle could draft ovechkin and hamilton

Seattle won't get Ovechkin, he won't sign there. Hamilton could, that's probably a good signing for the team and the player but Ovechkin won't. 

4 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Alf, come on, we need a top RHD.............I do not see one here! Certainly not Hamonic or Myers

Schmidt isn’t right handed but the guy was arecent Norris trophy candidate playing on the right side in a specific way and system.  The Canucks should try and accommodate that imo.  I would have liked Ryan Murphy but he seems to be too injury prone.

Edited by Patel Bure

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Alf, come on, we need a top RHD.............I do not see one here! Certainly not Hamonic or Myers

We are spending 12 million/year on Schmidt and Myers.  Where is the money for a better RSD coming from?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

We are spending 12 million/year on Schmidt and Myers.  Where is the money for a better RSD coming from?  

Well, this is a good question, isn't it?

I mean, Hamonic, Schmidt, Myers and ????

Is there an actual first  pairing Dman there?

We want our defense to be tough to play against

Is it? Not IMO

Which is why I started this thread

Maybe if one of our LHD was tough to play against, but that is not the case either

Those all sound like interesting targets... unfortunately not easy or cheap to come by.

I think we need to find someone who is undervalued and will be one of the next guys to hit that tier.  Easier said than done, but you get nowhere paying market price or more to fill holes, especially since it just creates holes elsewhere in the lineup.

To me that means a young player who is currently buried deeper in the lineup than they should be, or a player on a bad team that needs a change of scenery.

Foote is an interesting option, being a guy on a deep team where there has been little chance to earn premium minutes.

Ristolainen is one of the latter categories of guys. He has been on the same terrible team for years, and players leaving Buffalo have a tendency to get better.  I would bet on Risto being an impactful 2-3 D on his next team and he will show that most of his defensive warts are as a result of being asked to do everything on a bad roster.

I don’t know all the players on other teams to really know how many other guys are out there in situations like the above two guys.  That is what pro scouts are supposed to be for, and there should absolutely be guys who can fit the bill that shake out in expansion.

The good thing is we just need a complementary partner for Hughes and Rathbone... we have the harder to find guys.

• Cheers 1