The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Another Russian?

Rate this topic

dr.naughtypants

15 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

With Podz joining the team, who might be the seasoned Russian the Canucks look to keep near the kid. It

Is that even necessary ? If the player is good and the organization knows how to developer their prospects regardless of nationality I don't really see a need to another Russian player primarily because the organization have some Russian prospects in the system. 

Let's not forget these prospects are young and normally most have no problem adapting to another country. There's no need to coddle them into thinking they might feel lost playing in North America.

Edited by iinatcc

the fewer russians the better. I like what I've seen from podkolzin (though he wasn't my horse in that draft -- I'm no prospect expert, but my gut screamed caufield), but the ratio of bad apples to the bunch just seems way too high generally speaking. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

the fewer russians the better. I like what I've seen from podkolzin (though he wasn't my horse in that draft -- I'm no prospect expert, but my gut screamed caufield), but the ratio of bad apples to the bunch just seems way too high generally speaking. 

how many bad apples are there? I seriously doubt the ratio is as big as you claim it to be.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

how many bad apples are there? I seriously doubt the ratio is as big as you claim it to be.

enough. more than any other nationality of nhl player expressed as a percentage (probably, having obviously never done the math).

between threats to leave for the k, beating wives and girlfriends, snorting your reputation up your nose, assorted attitude issues, etc., it's more than I'm comfortable with. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, tas said:

enough. more than any other nationality of nhl player expressed as a percentage (probably, having obviously never done the math).

between threats to leave for the k, beating wives and girlfriends, snorting your reputation up your nose, assorted attitude issues, etc., it's more than I'm comfortable with. 

honestly I think we just keep highlight a few like Alexander Semin but I really don't think the ratio is different from any other nationalities. Maybe it just feels that way because the league has fewer Russian players than Canadian or American ones.

Or maybe the media has a way of vilifying Russians like how the media and some folks treated Ovi. 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 2

On 5/27/2021 at 1:26 AM, dr.naughtypants said:

Hey y'all. Long time caller, first time listener...

Here we are in the "create Canucks things to chat about" time of year. I don't want to talk about last season because, well, you know. It was almost physically painful. Lol. So cheers- To the future. 

I wonder if the Canucks will look to have a veteran Russian presence on the team next year. I'm sure it has crossed their minds. Tryamkin was of course going to be the easiest solution. Looking back, maybe the big fella didn't have the greatest attitude, and might not have been the best role model for the next young star. Doesn't matter now. 

So...

With Podz joining the team, who might be the seasoned Russian the Canucks look to keep near the kid. It

CC

I think if they can get Vladimir Krotchlickmehoff from the KHL over here too that would be great but I read his girlfriend Ivanna Bitakokov wasn't too keen on moving here because she said we have watered down Vodka over here.

(Thanks god its summertime !)

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, tas said:

This is a really outdated view of Russians, but okay, whatever floats your boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

This is a really outdated view of Russians, but okay, whatever floats your boat.

the slava voynov situation was 2014, evgeny kuznetsov is almost certainly still doing blow every night based on his eroding performance, and the canucks  dealt with attitude issues and khl threats with nikita tryamkin.

how outdated can it be?

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, tas said:

the slava voynov situation was 2014, evgeny kuznetsov is almost certainly still doing blow every night based on his eroding performance, and the canucks  dealt with attitude issues and khl threats with nikita tryamkin.

how outdated can it be?

How many Russians are in the NHL? Versus how many other from different groupings?

You have a small sample and your assumptions on Russians are skewed based on these individual cases. How many have 'bolted' to the KHL? and how many have stayed?

Bure, Mogilny, and Ovechkin to an extent 'bolted' from Russia. So what gives? Podkolzin clearly doesn't like how Russia is treating him too. What about Tarasenko? There are more than enough examples of 'good' Russians that have already overtaken your examples of the so-called 'bad' ones.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

How many Russians are in the NHL? Versus how many other from different groupings?

You have a small sample and your assumptions on Russians are skewed based on these individual cases. How many have 'bolted' to the KHL? and how many have stayed?

Bure, Mogilny, and Ovechkin to an extent 'bolted' from Russia. So what gives? Podkolzin clearly doesn't like how Russia is treating him too. What about Tarasenko? There are more than enough examples of 'good' Russians that have already overtaken your examples of the so-called 'bad' ones.

I never said there were more bad apples than good, I said the ratio of bad apples to the bunch was too high compared to other groups. if, let's say, 5 out of 500 canadian players in the league exhibit those traits but 5 out of 50 (ish? I haven't looked into) russians in the league do, that's concerning to me. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

I never said there were more bad apples than good, I said the ratio of bad apples to the bunch was too high compared to other groups. if, let's say, 5 out of 500 canadian players in the league exhibit those traits but 5 out of 50 (ish? I haven't looked into) russians in the league do, that's concerning to me. 

Again, it's a small sample, so the numbers are going to stick out. Try not to get too caught up because there is nothing inherent within the Russian character that makes people disloyal to a team, or that it makes them beat women. There will always be good and bad exceptions, so try not to prejudge an entire grouping based on that.

Russians have been seen as 'lazy' as well, yet Podkolzin so far seems not to be the case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tas said:

Yea, the Canucks haven't had a lot of luck with the Russian players.  Remember Artem Chubarov about 15 years ago ???

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Again, it's a small sample, so the numbers are going to stick out. Try not to get too caught up because there is nothing inherent within the Russian character that makes people disloyal to a team, or that it makes them beat women. There will always be good and bad exceptions, so try not to prejudge an entire grouping based on that.

Russians have been seen as 'lazy' as well, yet Podkolzin so far seems not to be the case.

i definitely think each person and situation should be treated individually, I just feel like you reduce your likelihood of getting burned by minimizing your russians. 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Yea, the Canucks haven't had a lot of luck with the Russian players.  Remember Artem Chubarov about 15 years ago ???

chuby was pretty great at what he did, but unfortunately never developed offensively as predicted. 

and his lexus still stands as a monument to his legacy in the depths of the parkade beneath the rog to this day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/29/2021 at 2:37 AM, RomanP said:

Russian speaking community in Vancouver is much bigger these days than it was even 20 years ago. In the worst case scenario, @Stierlitz or I can help him with translation lol

I have two sons in late 20's, they would love to be friends with Podkolzin :frantic:

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Well, now that's he's signed a 3 year'er, he'll hopefully show-up and turn into something.  Unfortunately, two of the last four picks that Uncle Jim directly decided upon himself - haven't turned out so well (lazy Jake and Yo-Levi)   So, hopefully this guy turns-out a bit better.  He looks like a good average player with his stats and has potential to possibly eventually slot into the 3rd or 4th line-up in a few years - if everything goes perfectly.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:26 AM, dr.naughtypants said:

Hey y'all. Long time caller, first time listener...

Here we are in the "create Canucks things to chat about" time of year. I don't want to talk about last season because, well, you know. It was almost physically painful. Lol. So cheers- To the future. 

I wonder if the Canucks will look to have a veteran Russian presence on the team next year. I'm sure it has crossed their minds. Tryamkin was of course going to be the easiest solution. Looking back, maybe the big fella didn't have the greatest attitude, and might not have been the best role model for the next young star. Doesn't matter now. 

So...

CC

Bure comes out of retirement? 

On 5/28/2021 at 7:22 PM, tas said:

i definitely think each person and situation should be treated individually, I just feel like you reduce your likelihood of getting burned by minimizing your russians. 

that's a little self contradictory