The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks & Pens..[Proposal(s)]

A lil' preamble: I don't see us as contenders for another yr or two(at least). We should be looking to build a perennial contender, that lasts a decade, or so.

A team like Pitt might have another shot or two, but will prob soon have to reload with a lot of team-turnover.

So therefore, disparate needs & timelines; which makes for good trade-partners.

Van: Miller(retain 1.7 mill x 2 yrs)

Schmidt

2022 2nd round pick

Pitt:

Kapanen, Rust, or Tanev..(pick 1 of these 3 fwds) AAV is similar; term varies

Marcus Petterson, or John Marino (pick 1 of these 2 D-men) AAV is also similar between these 2

2022 1st round pick  ..*(cond. If it's a top-5 OA pick, we accept their 2022 2nd & 2023 1st instead)

Valuation is difficult here, as there are several pieces. I also have not seen too much of these 2 D on Pitt. I like their age, & that they're both committed(seems reasonably, for 4 & 6 seasons). There is no consideration for the ED; don't care if this occurred before or after.

With our retention, the cap hits almost match for both team's packages.

I do wonder if Burkie has some trade ideas with Vancouver. It all depends if they see yesterday as the end of an era of if they can squeeze out one more year of magic with Gino and Sid. 

I suspect they are going to try to retool around guys like the younger players in your deal Nux, and not want to part with them. 

It wouldn't surprise me to see them try to shop Malkin after his 5 mil bonus is paid. At that point he might fetch something interesting back from the right team. 

I'm sure Burkie would love Miller, being another cranky American. But I'm not sure who I see on Pits it make sense for us to get back, we're already good on the left side d. 

I'd go Kapanen + Marino cuz they younger and play RW / RHD.  Not sure if those additions would increase the chances of VAN making the playoffs next year (as JB mentioned).  At best, it would be even.

But seems funny for all that to upgrade to a 1st in 2022.  But I see the potential of that conditional 1st as a possible way to get more chances at Bedard in 2023.  Lol. :P

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

A lil' preamble: I don't see us as contenders for another yr or two(at least). We should be looking to build a perennial contender, that lasts a decade, or so.

A team like Pitt might have another shot or two, but will prob soon have to reload with a lot of team-turnover.

So therefore, disparate needs & timelines; which makes for good trade-partners.

Van: Miller(retain 1.7 mill x 2 yrs)

Schmidt

2022 2nd round pick

Pitt:

Kapanen, Rust, or Tanev..(pick 1 of these 3 fwds) AAV is similar; term varies

Marcus Petterson, or John Marino (pick 1 of these 2 D-men) AAV is also similar between these 2

2022 1st round pick  ..*(cond. If it's a top-5 OA pick, we accept their 2022 2nd & 2023 1st instead)

Valuation is difficult here, as there are several pieces. I also have not seen too much of these 2 D on Pitt. I like their age, & that they're both committed(seems reasonably, for 4 & 6 seasons). There is no consideration for the ED; don't care if this occurred before or after.

With our retention, the cap hits almost match for both team's packages.

Pittsburg needs a goalie so Dipietro would have to be part of the deal and I would not trade Miller

For the record, I do like Miller. I'd done a proposal here to obtain him, 2 mos before JB did so. However I'm skeptical he has the patience to hang in with a younger cast. Will he re-sign for a decent number? His value now is perhaps as high as we'll ever see. Our kids have learned a lot from him, & it's been a great deal.

Getting extra 1st's ain't easy. Doing it well in advance is prob the best way. I heard 2022 is a decent class; but I don't know if that's true?

As for Schmidt, not so high on him. Don't really like that AAV/term. If we can recycle his deal into more depth/youth, I sign up pretty quickly.

Pitt's pov: Malkin & Letang are down to 1 more season of contract. That's $17,000,000 off the books, next summer. So I could see them accepting the relative-gamble of losing a young D-man, & accepting Schmidt's hit. Especially if they land a prime, skilled & cantankerous fwd like JT(perhaps filling a Hornqvist-void?)

Similar to how we tried to compete with the twins around, I see Pitt approaching the near future with Sid. If it still blew up, they have some nice pieces to sell, & will(perhaps soon?) shift to rebuild-mode.

I'd prefer Kapanen of the 3 fwds too. I assume then we'd have to accept Petterson for the D

Would like a young, speedy cast like this...

Hoglander - EP40 - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Podkolzin

Highmore - Lind/ Sutter(if v. cheap!) - Kapanen

Motte - Graovac - MacEwen/Lockwood

I'd be patient enough to accept another good pick in 2022, if this cast didn't qualify PO's. As long as you see progress in the youth.

Hope Beags is LTIR, & the two elder-slackers are buyouts.

Got no problem at all watching a young, cohesive group grow together.

Having top-end ELC's to add every yr, makes it even sweeter.

• 1 month later...

Well, around ED Pitt dumped about 6 mill of cap, it would appear.

So maybe a deal like the options above could be in the cards? Now we likely don't need to retain any %, & perhaps our 2nd(2022) would be a later pick, or middling prospect instead.

Will we be able to afford Miller in 2023? Getting a 1st & exp'd(yet younger) D-man could be a potential direction worth mulling over.

• 10 months later...

ALERT!!! Necro-bump of 13 mos!

My argument is looking back, sometimes provides clarity/insight.

Also think it's interesting that a proposal from today offers a similar Pitts return.

Would contend that this deal would have been beneficial(in 2021-22 season) for BOTH Van & Pitt.

About Schmidt? ..don't giva' sh**. Had to dump that clown; yet Sid may have kept him in line.

Miller MIGHT have pushed the Pens past teams like the Rags.

Back in Oct, for Green & JB it was sink/swim. No Miller, we woulda' SUNK faster/deeper. Perhaps our firings/cleaning house would've occurred more rapidly?

& if not, perhaps today we'd be looking at a top-10 pick, in the upcoming draft. & of course we'd have a late 1st from the Pens.