The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning on donnie and dhali

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am assuming he was responding to me.

One thing I dont do in general is abuse other posters or personally attack them simply for having a different opinion. I keep my comments mostly just to the issues i am talking about, not making it personal. Because its not nor should it be.

Like you say, the forum has an ignore function. I dont use it much myself but I also have the adult ability to ignore things I dont care to read or see if they are going to bug me to the level this guy is irritated.

I don't normally agree with a lot of what you say, but I can definitely agree with you on this. 
Also, the few posters that are resorting to name calling when disagreeing with you are being a bit hypocritical with the situation. If what WSA is saying is THAT bothering for you, simply just add them to ignore instead of calling them an idiot. You can disagree and attack an opinion, but don't attack the person(unless of course they're being racist, sexist, etc. Which in this case they're not).

• Cheers 3

8 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not a manager. I am the owner.....;)

And what bill has to be paid? Peacefully protesting is LEGAL. Its a right. Same as free speech.

You are right. You don't know me. As a word of friendly advice, when you dont know someone or their personal family situation, throwing around the term Nazi at them could end up being more hurtful to them than a banner is to Bennings daughter. Some people lost family in the holocaust. So sure, lets completely make light of that over a &^@#ing banner.

Ya you guys are all about keeping the positivity going on cdc, right?

Free speech is earned and not to be used like a slogan and a get out of jail card.

People tend to say whatever they want and hide behind free speech... That's what I'm getting at...

I'm sure as a owner, you'd like you employees to voice their opinions, however if it got out of hand, I'm sure you wouldn't accept them getting off quoting free speech? (probably sack them).

Regardless protesting is fine, and its right to voice ones opinion, but the family and friends should not be dragged into it...

Friendly advise taken... in return read what was being said...Like a nazi protester, didn't say you were, or let me rephrase that to an ultra right wing protester?

Does my head in that people have fought their entire lives to obtain free speech, only for it to be used as a slogan...

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Free speech is earned and not to be used like a slogan and a get out of jail card.

People tend to say whatever they want and hide behind free speech... That's what I'm getting at...

freedom of expression doesn't trump your employment contract. If you go against your contract, you can be canned, free speech or not. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

freedom of expression doesn't trump your employment contract. If you go against your contract, you can be canned, free speech or not. 

Not sure what you're getting at?

Guess it depends, what is stipulated in your contract.

Just now, spook007 said:

Not sure what you're getting at?

Guess it depends, what is stipulated in your contract.

just the whole free speech thing. I was supporting your point, you can't hide behind free speech and think that there aren't consequences. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

15 hours ago, IRR said:

Maybe you and the few other should get the message / hint re: your mentality / behavior re: this team and that most of us are done with it!!!!! 

Hope this helps.

Speak for yourself. Trying to censor peoples posts on this forum only reflects poorly on you. 

• RoughGame 1

34 minutes ago, spook007 said:

I'm sure as a owner, you'd like you employees to voice their opinions, however if it got out of hand, I'm sure you wouldn't accept them getting off quoting free speech? (probably sack them).

Regardless protesting is fine, and its right to voice ones opinion, but the family and friends should not be dragged into it...

Friendly advise taken... in return read what was being said...Like a nazi protester, didn't say you were, or let me rephrase that to an ultra right wing protester?

Does my head in that people have fought their entire lives to obtain free speech, only for it to be used as a slogan...

The thing is, I think its ridiculous that people think calling for a GM to be fired is somehow egregiously stepping over the line from simple protesting/free speech to unacceptable levels of social disorder. Its not. And the fact that some of the same people who are complaining about it regarding Benning gleefully attacked Gaudette's wife and Tryamkin's wife - which does go beyond complaining about the actual player into the realm of dragging their family into it - only makes the hypocrisy more ridiculous to me.

Saying you think a GM of a team should be fired, whether you fly a banner or protest outside the arena or say it on a forum, is free speech. Its not some radical protest.

No one dragged Benning's family into it. They did not target them. They did not say anything about them. Voicing an opinion about Benning being a crappy GM that should be fired bothering his family is a very different thing. And its not a valid reason to stifle free speech.

People that are this upset about criticizing Benning arent actually interested in the decency factor, they simply cant handle criticism of Benning.

If that was not true, they wouldnt follow it up by publicly comparing someone to a Nazi or a right wing nut job to make their point.

• Cheers 1

I don't care if people want to voice their opinions. There's quite a few posters I don't always see eye to eye on things with, but can hold an intelligent and reasoned discussion about them. @Smashian Kassian for example.

I do care when opinions are repeated ad nauseum, as though they're facts, and based largely on hyperbolic conjecture and melodrama. Twitter- meme level garbage that brings zero value to the board and turns threads in to off topic waste lands.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

48 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Speak for yourself. Trying to censor peoples posts on this forum only reflects poorly on you. 

Are you kidding!!! Myself and many others have said over & over it's not what he & others are doing, it's how they're doing it!! We've said there's nothing wrong with disagreeing and / or disliking things the team does and having constructive criticism...but then move on and be a fan and support the team. These people and the media have gone WAY PAST that over & over again! Plus, beating the same negative narrative to death. There's clearly an agenda and it's not about being a fan. Being constantly & consistently negative, hateful, ignorant and tearing down every little thing the team does isn't being a fan, it's being a hater!! They can't even be positive or give credit when it's time to do that...just negativity, hate and criticism or backhanded complements. You can see it how you want, but a majority of us are done with it! 

Edited by IRR
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, IRR said:

Are you kidding!!!

Nope. Your vast amount of absolute statements accompanied by an inordinate amount of exclamation marks are indicative enough of your ability to overreact to a subject.

Myself and many others have said over & over it's not what he & others are doing, it's how they're doing it!!

They're doing it in a way that affects you, which is on you, and no one else. 

We've said there's nothing wrong with disagreeing and / or disliking things the team does and having constructive criticism...but then move on and be a fan and support the team.

You seem to feel this need to dictate to others how they should be a fan. Not everyone has to share your opinion on the matter.

These people and the media have gone WAY PAST that over & over again!

Oh no. That's unfortunate. I've got a great idea. Use the ignore function, if it's that much of a problem for you. Supposedly it works really well. Personally I've never used it, but other posters claim it helps them out immensely, that is until they come across a post that quotes someone they've put on ignore. 

Plus, beating the same negative narrative to death. There's clearly an agenda and it's not about being a fan.

According to you, it's not. 

Being constantly & consistently negative, hateful, ignorant and tearing down every little thing the team does isn't being a fan, it's being a hater!! They can't even be positive or give credit when it's time to do that...just negativity, hate and criticism or backhanded complements. You can see it how you want, but a majority of us are done with it! 

Once again, with a screenshot, is the solution to your issues. Pressing that ignore user button will set you free!!!!

ignore.PNG

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Nope. Your vast amount of absolute statements accompanied by an inordinate amount of exclamation marks are indicative enough of your ability to overreact to a subject.

You seem to feel this need to dictate to others how they should be a fan. Not everyone has to share your opinion on the matter.

Oh no. That's unfortunate. I've got a great idea. Use the ignore function, if it's that much of a problem for you. Supposedly it works really well. Personally I've never used it, but other posters claim it helps them out immensely, that is until they come across a post that quotes someone they've put on ignore. 

Once again, with a screenshot, is the solution to your issues. Pressing that ignore user button will set you free!!!!

ignore.PNG

You win cdc today

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I don't care if people want to voice their opinions. There's quite a few posters I don't always see eye to eye on things with, but can hold an intelligent and reasoned discussion about them. @Smashian Kassian for example.

I do care when opinions are repeated ad nauseum, as though they're facts, and based largely on hyperbolic conjecture and melodrama. Twitter- meme level garbage that brings zero value to the board and turns threads in to off topic waste lands.

Then why not use the ignore button like Phil suggests? Its pretty easy to not have to talk to people you dont want to.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

ignore.PNG

I'm not going to argue with ignorance! If you can't comprehend what the issue is with these posters / the media, that's not my problem. Here's a hint...you, him and a handful of others are in the minority and i am by far not the only one that feels this way! Go look at the response to my post, almost all agree and the only ones that aren't are the ones doing it. Can i ignore it, yes, but myself and so many others are done, so you're getting called out. Maybe a few of you need to open your eyes / ears to what a majority is telling you. But hey, you do you champ! 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The thing is, I think its ridiculous that people think calling for a GM to be fired is somehow egregiously stepping over the line from simple protesting/free speech to unacceptable levels of social disorder. Its not. And the fact that some of the same people who are complaining about it regarding Benning gleefully attacked Gaudette's wife and Tryamkin's wife - which does go beyond complaining about the actual player into the realm of dragging their family into it - only makes the hypocrisy more ridiculous to me.

Saying you think a GM of a team should be fired, whether you fly a banner or protest outside the arena or say it on a forum, is free speech. Its not some radical protest.

No one dragged Benning's family into it. They did not target them. They did not say anything about them. Voicing an opinion about Benning being a crappy GM that should be fired bothering his family is a very different thing. And its not a valid reason to stifle free speech.

People that are this upset about criticizing Benning arent actually interested in the decency factor, they simply cant handle criticism of Benning.

If that was not true, they wouldnt follow it up by publicly comparing someone to a Nazi or a right wing nut job to make their point.

Totally off the mark WSA... I don't care if people complain about Benning, and being in his position its fair game...

But me there is a borderline between criticism and total hatred. Benning will be canned at some stage... one of the few things guaranteed together with taxes... But for now he is the GM, so instead of continuing to say the same few things over and over again, maybe give him a bit of rest bite...

I've stated earlier I don't care about, who Vancouvers GM is and if Benning is canned I'd still support them and watch the games. But this is just it, I don't think he has been so bad that it warranted Flags to be flown over the city or demonstrations in front of Rogers (obviously only few actually thought so). Even so it's a free country.

But don't like the ridiculing of Benning at any opportunity... Anything he says or does is being turned into something bad, and that's pathetic...

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

I'm not going to argue with ignorance!

Now you trot out the thinly veiled insults. Like clockwork.

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

If you can't comprehend what the issue is with these posters / the media, that's not my problem.

What is your problem is your need to control other posters output.

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Here's a hint...you, him and a handful of others are in the minority and i am by far not the only one that feels this way!

You really can't handle an opposing viewpoint, can you? 

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Go look at the response to my post, almost all agree and the only ones that aren't are the ones doing it. Can i ignore it, yes, but myself and so many others are done, so you're getting called out.

Oh my gosh. You're calling me out! Whatever will I do? The horror!!!!!

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

Maybe a few of you need to open your eyes / ears to what a majority is telling you. But hey, you do you champ! 

Or maybe you need to walk away from the keyboard and go for a walk. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Then why not use the ignore button like Phil suggests? Its pretty easy to not have to talk to people you dont want to.

I do use the ignore button. As an absolute last resort if I feel someone is completely adding nothing to the conversation. Dissenting/opposing view or otherwise. If all you present is Twitter-meme level, conjecture and crap, you might just get ignored.

I try as much as possible not to ignore people and not exist in an echo chamber though. So while posters like you have a propensity for resorting to straw men filled with conjecture, presented as facts, you do also make reasoned posts here and there. Therefore, not ignored. So you'll have to try harder if you want me to ignore you :P 

I also want to make sure someone's keeping tabs on posters like you and holding you accountable/pointing out your straw-nonsense :P

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Totally off the mark WSA... I don't care if people complain about Benning, and being in his position its fair game...

But me there is a borderline between criticism and total hatred. Benning will be canned at some stage... one of the few things guaranteed together with taxes... But for now he is the GM, so instead of continuing to say the same few things over and over again, maybe give him a bit of rest bite...

I've stated earlier I don't care about, who Vancouvers GM is and if Benning is canned I'd still support them and watch the games. But this is just it, I don't think he has been so bad that it warranted Flags to be flown over the city or demonstrations in front of Rogers (obviously only few actually thought so). Even so it's a free country.

But don't like the ridiculing of Benning at any opportunity... Anything he says or does is being turned into something bad, and that's pathetic...

Criticizing and hating the job he does is different than hating him though. Thats what you guys dont seem to be able to reconcile.

It is possible to criticize someone in their job without hating them on a personal level.

Flying a banner saying to fire him, or protesting, is simply about his job as GM. Its not a personal hatred for him.

Do some people take it too far? Sure. But its not people flying a banner.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Now you trot out the thinly veiled insults. Like clockwork.

What is your problem is your need to control other posters output.

You really can't handle an opposing viewpoint, can you? 

Oh my gosh. You're calling me out! Whatever will I do? The horror!!!!!

Or maybe you need to walk away from the keyboard and go for a walk. 

A majority know what the deal is, so no worries! 

If this isn't working out for you on here, you, a handful of others on here, Uncle Laleet & Taj1944 can go fly banners, protest, yell fire Benning at the games, beat to death the negative narative and throw tantrum like children re: the team since that seems to be more your guys thing. Whatever makes you happy! 

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I do use the ignore button. As an absolute last resort if I feel someone is completely adding nothing to the conversation. Dissenting/opposing view or otherwise. If all you present is Twitter-meme level, conjecture and crap, you might just get ignored.

I try as much as possible not to ignore people and not exist in an echo chamber though. So while posters like you have a propensity for resorting to straw men filled with conjecture, presented as facts, you do also make reasoned posts here and there. Therefore, not ignored. So you'll have to try harder if you want me to ignore you :P 

I also want to make sure someone's keeping tabs on posters like you and holding you accountable/pointing out your straw-nonsense :P

I don't care if anyone ignores me or not. I only use it myself for one person. I dont let other people's opinions bother me that much.

I mean, its not my job to change my opinions because they impact someone else's enjoyment of cdc. Or theirs to change their opinion because of me. Thats why the ignore function is there.

Whatever you think of me and my posts, I can say I dont typically call people down personally, or insult them, or attack them on a personal level for having a different opinion. I typically keep it to the actual opinions being expressed. 

Considering a lot of the responses I get, I feel that puts me on the high ground.